DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO BE STRIDENT IN A FASHION THAT AMUSES MYSELF. YOU ARE NOT ON TRIAL. WE COOL.

The two options I will accept for the game of the year 2017 as of June 5th 2017 are Zelda and Nier Automata.

Zelda is mechanically and structurally aspirational. I've not heard two identical play session stories and it's been three months of mania. That's amazing.
Nier Automata is a Video Game That's About Something*. I bought a PS4 copy just so I can hand it to my other friends and go "YOU NEED TO SEE THIS."

It's just that they both have a pretty high barrier to entry (own a wii u, find a switch, or justify buying a wii u in 2017; ability to stomach Excessive Japan Design).
Therefore, I see every answer that's neither Zelda or Nier as "I don't want to cross that entry barrier," which is totally reasonable considering those barriers.

*if a quick pitch about what I think it's about would help sell anyone, my abbreviated interpretation is "the modern empathy gap."

EDIT: fucking shit of course this started a new page.

uhh, my E3 predictions are I'm gonna have fun yet still not be moved to buy anything but Destiny 2, Fire Pro World and Eitr for the rest of 2017. That is, if Eitr actually ever comes out. Click here for a video of Eitr it looks like VGA Souls give it to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Some of the E3 trailers are starting to get released early

Project Cars 2

I don't know why racing game - and sports game in general - makers insist on using no (or hardly any, as in this one) gameplay footage in their trailers.  ESPECIALLY on a game like this one where the incredibly-brief snippets of gameplay action look freaking SPECTACULAR.  WTF.  Don't show me "Replay Angle #37" that has looked good in every game since 1996.  Show me the awesome gameplay stuff!

• RIPPA pinned this topic

So by Nintendo Spotlight does that mean they're doing a conference like others or is it their Treehouse deal?  I'm assuming the former but knowing them worry it might be the latter.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So by Nintendo Spotlight does that mean they're doing a conference like others or is it their Treehouse deal?  I'm assuming the former but knowing them worry it might be the latter.

No conference, they have a lot of floor space this year but otherwise are doing their usual separate Direct.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

No conference, they have a lot of floor space this year but otherwise are doing their usual separate Direct.

Of all years to do one and they go with business as usual? What a missed opportunity. Oh,  well. 

• Like 1

That came from EA's CEO on an investor's call, and they're prone to talking out of their ass on gameplay subjects at those things, so I wouldn't take that was gospel.  On that same call, he said  it would have all the same character progression and narrative people expect from BioWare, so...who knows.  He certainly doesn't.