DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

Breath of the Wild set a really high bar for Nintendo to try to mantle this year at E3.. 

They are really going to have to be on point since they have the most recent hardware release and have a hot app that needs to be followed up with even more hot apps.

• Like 1

It's tough - things that come out in the first half of the year tend to get forgotten

Just using DICE's Game of the Year award (since there are so many) - the only things this decade to come out as early as Breath of the Wild to win were Mass Effect and Journey. Overwatch and Last of Us were mid-year and everything else was late (ie: Nov)

I guess it depends on what you mean by "unforeseen" - like are we talking a game we already know about but doesn't have a release date yet? Since I mean something like Last of Us 2 could drop suddenly in Nov and you know that would get run (I don't actually think that could happen but I am using that as an example). 

I am not saying you are wrong but I wouldn't say it is 100% locked up yet. The path opened up yet with RDR 2 being officially moved.

That being said - if Super Mario Odyssey comes out this Winter that is a contender

On 5/15/2017 at 0:12 PM, J.T. said:

Fallout 4 DLC? 

While I highly doubt it, I would love to see them put out more DLC just to see if they can make one QUALITY piece. Automatron was too short, Nuka World was really disappointing, I don't care about the workshop stuff and Far Harbor (whlie the best of the bunch) was nowhere near as good as some of the DLC in 3 and New Vegas. 

On 5/15/2017 at 4:09 PM, Eivion said:

I'm hoping for Andromeda's DLC to be announced and for Bethesda to announce a Fallout spin-off in a similar vein to New Vegas since its the 20th anniversary.

I'd be shocked if Andromeda DLC isn't announced. And I would kill for more New Vegas style spin-offs. So many great locales they could set it. Seattle, San Francisco, New York... hell they could do something in Alaska or Hawaii. 

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

While I highly doubt it, I would love to see them put out more DLC just to see if they can make one QUALITY piece. Automatron was too short, Nuka World was really disappointing, I don't care about the workshop stuff and Far Harbor (whlie the best of the bunch) was nowhere near as good as some of the DLC in 3 and New Vegas. 

I'd be shocked if Andromeda DLC isn't announced. And I would kill for more New Vegas style spin-offs. So many great locales they could set it. Seattle, San Francisco, New York... hell they could do something in Alaska or Hawaii. 

I think you underrated Far Harbor. No New York. That should be a main title and under new stronger engine. I want something in the Midwest or South.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I think you underrated Far Harbor. No New York. That should be a main title and under new stronger engine. I want something in the Midwest or South.

I played through Far Harbor twice. Once with Nick and once without. I liked it, but I would rank it below several of the DLC add ons in 3 and New Vegas. I don't wanna derail the thread here but I posted about it in the Fallout 4 thread. 

I'm not sure where the story can go for Infamous 3.

Good ending: Cole dies to stop the Beast and end the Conduits. Bad ending: Cole becomes the Beast and takes over America. I know Second Son is based off the good ending -- so would it be a direct sequel to Second Son or somehow continue Cole's adventures?

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Would it be fair to say barring something unforeseen that as far as AAA game of the year goes, Zelda has it wrapped up? The amount of good will it has generated even among the most cynical of gamers has really been something to see.

I think so, yea. If a game like Horizon came out in November (in support of Rippa's point) it may have given it a run since it would have been fresher in people's minds and there are still anti-nintendo people out there that will go out of their way to not compliment a nintendo game, but I don't think anything is scheduled the rest of the year that would top it. Mario is more... I don't want to say niche but I don't think Mario has as wide of an appeal as many gamers see it as a "kids game" while this Zelda was squarely not designed to be a kids game. I mean kids still enjoyed it I am sure but it's gameplay was geared towards older gamers. I can see website that split up the awards giving Mario the "Switch Game of the Year" and Zelda the "Overall Game of the Year." Mass Effect being disappointing to many opened the door for Zelda for sure.

• Like 1

Well let's be honest - there aren't many AAA left this year

Destiny 2 which will be polarizing

Call of Duty WWII is a Call of Duty game so that isn't going to win

Umm... what's left?

Middle Earth: Shadow of War? Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite? Crackdown 3... maybe???

If there are any AAA titles to be released this year, they will debut around Black Friday.

TMK, that would've been RDR 2 if not for the new schedule delay so the field is clear for a new holiday hot app contender..

Nor should a COD game win ;) May as well give it to Madden. Shadow of War could have in a different year, the original won Gamespot's Game of the Year, I just don't think anything would top Zelda regardless this year. Since Zelda has a new dungeon DLC coming out in the fall, its not going to leave people's minds anyway.

But back to E3 related, are we really expecting any big titles to be announced that are coming out his year? I usually expect trailers for 2018 and beyond at E3. I know sometimes publishers do that "and it will be available RIGHT NOW" thing but not with AAA titles, usually its for ports.

For those curious - this is what EA is saying folks will get hands on time with during EA Play

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ II
FIFA 18
Madden NFL 18
NBA LIVE 18
The latest Need for Speed™ experience
The Sims™ Mobile and The Sims™ 4
The latest Battlefield™ 1 expansion
New content from Star Wars™: Galaxy of Heroes and Titanfall™ 2
Madden NFL Mobile
NBA LIVE Mobile
EA SPORTS™ FIFA on the Nintendo Switch

Okay, that is just the hands on list. *whew*

Bioware could still show off their new IP in concept packages at EA Play without breaking out devkit consoles..

• Like 1

I would add Agents of Mayhem to the list of AAA games and shouldn't a new Halo game be coming out this year? Or wait, nevermind. Halo Wars 2 is this year, isn't it? That would mean Halo 6 is due out next year.

There's still more AAA titles due out than what was mentioned. I'm just so far removed from the scene at this point to really remember them all that well.

I looked at a list of upcoming games as I was posting and a lot of things would be stretching the definition of AAA (granted I ignored all the Sports games since I don't factor them into the GOTY conversation).

But yeah - a lot of stuff is in that hazy area of release dates

And Last of Us 2 was already mentioned :-P

And God of War 4 appears to be March 2018 not the original Holiday 2017 as teased

EDIT - and all of that is based on Kratos' voice actor twitter account and Amazon listings so who knows

Derp. I'll chalk up missing LoU2 to my migraine. I would think that God of War would at least make it out this year though. Huge studio, lots of money behind them, and what they showed off last year looked very good. Or maybe it falls to early 2018 and takes the spot that Horizon had this year. Agreed on Mario Odyssey too in that it could contend.

This just feels like Zelda's year. I went from not caring about the Switch to Zelda, a series I'm not all that super into, really compelling me to buy a Switch. If it gets DLC support this year, that'll help it stay in the conversation too.

Naughty Dog didn't even start working on LoU2 until they finished up Uncharted 4, and that just came out a year ago.  Given the level of polish they're committed to at this point, I think 2019 would a very optimistic release date for that game.  It's definitely not going to be a factor in any 2017 GOTY discussions.

I doubt you see Death Stranding before 2019 either, just because Kojima.  Although he's not building his own engine this time, so maybe it won't be quite as insane a development cycle as MGSV.  But if he doesn't have any gameplay to show at E3 and it's just more cryptic trailers...yeah, this is easily a 2019/2020 game.

The new Assassin's Creed game is the big AAA release this year that everyone in here is sleeping on.  It seems like they're not officially announcing it until E3, despite all the leaks, but this holiday has always been the target date for it.  AC has been an up and down series, but when it's up (AC2 and Black Flag), it's gotten GOTY recognition.  If they've used their year off to really nail this one, and whatever the rumored "service" component is proves to be interesting and not U-Play junk, that could be a huge game.

I was super hyped for GoW maybe coming out this year, until I saw Gamespots release date the day after the announcement.  They had that listed as 12/31/17 which meant no way in hell it's coming out this year.  And it sure seems like a Spring 2018 release at the earliest.

Zelda is a shoe-in for GOTY.  Not only will it have DLC in the Fall but the way the game's played is unlike any Zelda game before.  With the open world and focus on what you stock and craft it's no wonder it launched as Switch's killer app.  And as good as Mario will be it won't touch this.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:52 PM, Death From Above said:

Would it be fair to say barring something unforeseen that as far as AAA game of the year goes, Zelda has it wrapped up? The amount of good will it has generated even among the most cynical of gamers has really been something to see.

I would put Horizon: Zero Dawn up there.  Loved the game and was surprisingly never bored with it which seems to plague me in most games I play.

The main things I want from E3 are game play for Spiderman, release date for Days Gone, and anything from Sucker Punch.