DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I saw this thrown around before and am confused about it. Realistically is there really just the original and special edition? Everything else is basically a port to systems that didn't have access to it before.

I consider a new version if they tweaked things in it or added to it, as that could have been time spent on making a new game. It isn't just ports, they are making at least minor changes also. When other game makers do this people complain, so I don't see why Bethesda would be exempt from that. Making a new version of a six year old game instead of just making a new game is generally frowned upon in the gaming community.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

So, this was announced at E3.

In normal times, evil would be fought by good. 

But in times like these, well,  it should be fought by another kind of evil.

That Queen knockoff is so, so perfect. I've not been paying a whole lot of attention to this because I really just want a new Saints Row (I'd also love SR2 to be backwards compatible), but odds are that I end up buying it anyway. I just like Volition's vision of open world games...

27 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I consider a new version if they tweaked things in it or added to it, as that could have been time spent on making a new game. It isn't just ports, they are making at least minor changes also. When other game makers do this people complain, so I don't see why Bethesda would be exempt from that. Making a new version of a six year old game instead of just making a new game is generally frowned upon in the gaming community.

What are the changes outside of graphics optimized to the systems they are on? Are these changes big enough that they are taking legit time away from Bethesda working on new games which by all account is where their actual focus is?

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

What are the changes outside of graphics optimized to the systems they are on? Are these changes big enough that they are taking legit time away from Bethesda working on new games which by all account is where their actual focus is?

Motion controls don't happen overnight, takes extra coding. And you don't have to agree with me, that's just my opinion, if a developer releases I guess its four different versions of their game it could have been time spent on a new game.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I dunno if this makes me a bad Elder Scrolls fan but I don't really care if the next game breaks canon or is even within canon. As long as the game is fun and has a decent story itself, its not something I am really concerned about related to the other games. So hopefully they don't hold up the next installment just for that reason.

I would say Elder Scrolls Legends basically does this thing where "hey here's some Elder Scrolls stuff people like, don't think too hard about how it fits together" and does it well. But, yeah, CCG isn't going to be for everyone.

24 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Motion controls don't happen overnight, takes extra coding. And you don't have to agree with me, that's just my opinion, if a developer releases I guess its four different versions of their game it could have been time spent on a new game.

I forgot about the VR. I just don't see a problem in this case. They wanted VR Skyrim and Fallout 4 were the games to test it with. I can't really see it taking up a huge amount of their time when both games were completed already. We also have no idea which teams were developing these new features so again its hard to say what amount of time is really being spent away from a new game. The people who added the features might not have been involved with new games anyways.

VR does seem to take a lot of time to work out.

The only not-specific-VR game I can think of offhand that isn't a AAA game fooling around with it at all is Subnautica. And from what I hear the VR experience in that game is incredibly rough compared to playing the game normally. Too bad, because if they ever do get it sorted out that would be absolutely wild to play in VR. I don't even think I could do it. Even playing the game normally the sense of Fear In Deep Water is real. That game would blow people's mind in a smoothed out VR experience.

If Destiny 2 can't run at 60 fps on XBOX One X, again I have to wonder what the point is of having a better processor, more RAM, etc. Is it one of those things where it takes extra work, so developers aren't going to bother unless enough units sell? It is 60 fps on the PC, so hardcore gamers will still get it on the playform it plays the best.

Have they actually said what sort of game Agents of Mayhem actually is yet? Is it a third person open world thingy , or an FPS, or a MOBA (like Battleborn)?

At the very least Nintendo will have two of the top 3 games of the year for 2017 with Zelda and Mario. Throw in Mario Kart Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, all the cool little indie games and shit I think the Switch has the best launch window lineup maybe ever.  They aren't fucking around this time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

What DFA is cryptically referring to is that TES: Online's Morrowind DLC has canonically kept the writers from having Vivec destroy the entire province of Morrowind for the time being (IIRC Vivec City still exists in the game), which would be a stupid movie since Morrowind was arguably the most popular game in the franchise.

According to the Elder Scrolls timeline I found on IGN, ESO takes place in the second era, a few hundred years before Talos/Tiber Septim is born. So they won't be messing with the current canon at all.

• Like 1

In regards to BGE2 - the developers are hoping to have a playable demo at next year's E3

So obviously the earliest it is getting released is Summer 2018 but I am thinking 2019 at the earliest

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Have they actually said what sort of game Agents of Mayhem actually is yet? Is it a third person open world thingy , or an FPS, or a MOBA (like Battleborn)?

It does not appear to be a MOBA.  It looks like a open world 3PS with multiple pre-made protagonists instead of one you can customize.

Basically every mission you select 3 people from a squad of 12 and then do the mission

The missions take place in an open world. Then there is some sort of hub where all your characters hang out and you do your upgrades and stuff.

So "third person open world thingy" is the best description

If you're a Giant Bomb fan, if you're an Xavier Woods fan, and if you're a Samoa Joe fan, then I queued up the video below for when Woods and Joe appear on Giant Bomb's E3 Day 2 show. It's so much fun seeing Woods and Joe geek out with the Giant Bomb crew. Joe does a pretty good Irish accent too.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It has come out that Drew Karpyshyn is working on Anthem

It is like they want to make sure all Mass Effect fans hate buy the game

If they get you to buy the game, they got their base's money so public outcry blended with a different audience going "this could be good" could turn that into a huge cash cow for them even if the base bails on it quickly.

You know how Anthem was codenamed 'Dylan' because it was supposed to have the impact on games that Bob Dylan had on music? Fucking over Mass Effect to push Anthem is their version of going electric.The bloody Judases.

You all talk like Mass Effect 3: The Grim Horse Shit Rises basically being a game built around invalidating every choice you ever made and killing everyone everywhere didn't already kill the series. Shit, there's a reason they set Andromeda in an entirely different galaxy, and very convienently set it before ME3 starts so they don't even have to acknowledge it at all.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It has come out that Drew Karpyshyn is working on Anthem

It is like they want to make sure all Mass Effect fans hate buy the game

This.

Knowing that he could've been working on Andromeda, but got pulled from Star Wars to work on Anthem instead does indeed make my blood boil.

However, he's the best writer they have so that means that Bioware is at least serious about making sure that Anthem has an immersive storyline.

12 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Shit, there's a reason they set Andromeda in an entirely different galaxy, and very convienently set it before ME3 starts so they don't even have to acknowledge it at all.

600 years after ME3 give or take, but yeah.  All of the Milky Way politics have been transplanted into Andromeda along with addressing the issues of the Genophage.

We're back to the status quo with a completely blank slate.

• Like 1