DVDVR Message Board

E3 2017

RIPPA

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, Raziel403 said:

If Ubisoft just grabbed ACIV's Sailing engine and applied it to a full pirate game, than I'm all fucking in.

That would appear to be exactly this, except an MMO? I think? I am not quite sure.

http://nerdist.com/skull-and-bones-may-be-the-open-world-pirate-game-weve-always-wanted/

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I really want a PS4 but those funds will probably end up as a Switch for my kid for Christmas

Curse all of you and your disposable income

Except JT - that is a pox upon his bar stools

But he got 10 percent off on them with his Crate and Barrel Gold Club Card - they'll pay for themselves in no time.

50 minutes ago, BL88 said:

Nintendo stealth announced a second Metroid. This one is coming out this September for 3DS.

Going by enemies and the different Metroid forms, this might be a remake of Metriod 2 in the vein of Zero Mission.  Which might get me buying a 3DS.

Yeah. So the only thing I liked was Spider-man. I thought Atlus would release something to follow-up on Persona 5 but I guess Sony is waiting to show out on TGS. BTW, if those motherfuckers do not show more of Final Fantasy VII, it is what Final Fantasy XV was to me before it was XV. Or Last Guardian.

9 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

Yeah. So the only thing I liked was Spider-man. I thought Atlus would release something to follow-up on Persona 5 but I guess Sony is waiting to show out on TGS. BTW, if those motherfuckers do not show more of Final Fantasy VII, it is what Final Fantasy XV was to me before it was XV. Or Last Guardian.

Given that Square took development of VII in house, I have a feeling we're at least a year away from seeing anything new on FF VII Remake. I'm also not sure it is a good omen for what that thing will end up being.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Disappointing news that was missed by many

Elder Scrolls 6 isn't even in development yet

AKA They have no idea what the story should be coming out of Skyrim but don't want to go backwards in time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

AKA They have no idea what the story should be coming out of Skyrim but don't want to go backwards in time.

This was also my interpretation.

I'd like to see the game go to Elswyr or possibly back to Hammerfell, but things will probably stay in Tamriel.

As long as I get to finally put an end to the Thalmor, I'm good.

• Like 1

They know exactly what the story should be but trying to do a game about how you're justifiably killing the dudes that want to Make Elves Great Again in the current political climate is going to be a problem. So you sit on it a little while. But it's not like it has ever been a franchise that has ducked dealing with racism; it was one of the things I found so fascinating when I played Morrowind, that it was actually a theme that came up a lot. That initself makes the series unusual.

Almost certainly the setting will be Summerset Isle. Maybe Valenwood too if we're lucky, double down.

I think they know they fucked up blowing up Vvardenfell too, to be honest. Lucky for them Elder Scrolls Online happens before the writers lost their damn minds.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

So you sit on it a little while. But it's not like it has ever been a franchise that has ducked dealing with racism; it was one of the things I found so fascinating when I played Morrowind, that it was actually a theme that came up a lot. That in itself makes the series unusual.

Bethesda has always been pretty awesome about not tap dancing around the politics of race in TES games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I think they know they fucked up blowing up Vvardenfell too, to be honest. Lucky for them Elder Scrolls Online happens before the writers lost their damn minds.

As someone who has only ever played Skyrim and is thus, pretty ignorant on the lore, I ask why was this a problem?

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

As someone who has only ever played Skyrim and is thus, pretty ignorant on the lore, I ask why was this a problem?

Vvardenfell is an island province that is a part of the province of Morrowind. The Dark Elves (Dunmer) are the sovereign governors of Morrowind and for the most part, they serve at the whim of the Emperror.

Vvardenfell OTOH is pretty much ruled by Vivec:  one of the members of The Tribunal and a living Dunmer "god".

Somewhere along the line in the Fourth Era, the Dunmer began to stop worshiping Vivec so as a display of his power and to remind the Dunmer not to fuck with him, Vivec dropped a meteor on the city that bore his name and the resulting impact destroyed all of Vvardenfell.

The "meteor" is significant for two reasons:

1. It served as the headquarters for the enforcement arm of his church aka The Ministry of Truth.

2. It levitated above the city and was held in place by Vivec's power.

What DFA is cryptically referring to is that TES: Online's Morrowind DLC has canonically kept the writers from having Vivec destroy the entire province of Morrowind for the time being (IIRC Vivec City still exists in the game), which would be a stupid movie since Morrowind was arguably the most popular game in the franchise.

• Like 1

I dunno if this makes me a bad Elder Scrolls fan but I don't really care if the next game breaks canon or is even within canon. As long as the game is fun and has a decent story itself, its not something I am really concerned about related to the other games. So hopefully they don't hold up the next installment just for that reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Given that Square took development of VII in house, I have a feeling we're at least a year away from seeing anything new on FF VII Remake. I'm also not sure it is a good omen for what that thing will end up being.

Yep, that shit is dead.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I dunno if this makes me a bad Elder Scrolls fan but I don't really care if the next game breaks canon or is even within canon. As long as the game is fun and has a decent story itself, its not something I am really concerned about related to the other games. So hopefully they don't hold up the next installment just for that reason.

Morrowind has a diehard cult following that make mods for the game to this very.

It is also pretty much statistical fact that TES:Online membership jumped dramatically after the announcement and incorporation of the Morrowind DLC into the game because people love the absolute shit out of the old game

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Morrowind has a diehard cult following that make mods for the game to this very.

It is also pretty much statistical fact that TES:Online membership jumped dramatically after the announcement and incorporation of the Morrowind DLC into the game because people love the absolute shit out of the old game.

I mean I get that, but making a brand new game doesn't have to... God I dunno how to even put it, "disrespect" any of their older games. Most game franchises mix things up, not try not to disrupt some storyline in a game they made 15 years ago. Its not that I disagree with you, I just think its silly and shouldn't hold up a new Elder Scrolls game, just make it in a different land or something so it doesn't disrupt the Morrowind freaks :)

19 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I mean I get that, but making a brand new game doesn't have to... God I dunno how to even put it, "disrespect" any of their older games. Most game franchises mix things up, not try not to disrupt some storyline in a game they made 15 years ago. Its not that I disagree with you, I just think its silly and shouldn't hold up a new Elder Scrolls game, just make it in a different land or something so it doesn't disrupt the Morrowind freaks :)

You're actually agreeing with me, Kevin.  Irrational love for Morrowind is holding up TES: Online expansions as well as a new TES title because players want the series to return to Morrowind and grudgingly accept new titles that explore other parts of Tamriel.

Like Oblivion, Bethesda actually had to win over its own fan base when they announced they were working on Skyrim. You could hear the collective groans of a number of people that desperately want the game setting to return to Morrowind.

TES: Online membership was a fraction of what it might've been if Morrowind had been the launch location.

Sometimes you can make a game too good.  The backlash felt after the lore reveal concerning the nuking of Vvardenfell is proof of that. 

Bethesda would love the opportunity to flesh out Tamriel and the Empire a bit more, but no one really gives a shit about the heartland.  it is all about the homeland of the Dunmer.

I was also a bit bummed that the first iteration of TES Online was not set in Morrowind, but the things that kept me from jumping in on the ground floor were the rampant bugs reported on release day and that the Khajiit were not a playable race at launch.

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You're actually agreeing with me, Kevin.  Irrational love for Morrowind is holding up TES: Online expansions as well as a new TES title because players want the series to return to Morrowind and grudgingly accept new titles that explore other parts of Tamriel.

Like Oblivion, Bethesda actually had to win over its own fan base when they announced they were working on Skyrim. You could hear the collective groans of a number of people that desperately want the game setting to return to Morrowind.

TES: Online membership was a fraction of what it might've been if Morrowind had been the launch location.

Sometimes you can make a game too good.  The backlash felt after the lore reveal concerning the nuking of Vvardenfell is proof of that. 

Bethesda would love the opportunity to flesh out Tamriel and the Empire a bit more, but no one really gives a shit about the heartland.  it is all about the homeland of the Dunmer.

I was also a bit bummed that the first iteration of TES Online was not set in Morrowind, but the things that kept me from jumping in on the ground floor were the rampant bugs reported on release day and that the Khajiit were not a playable race at launch.

Oh I know, that's what I meant. I agree with what you are saying as far as that being a reason, I am disagreeing with people that get upset about it and are holding up the game. But Elder Scrolls is their own little world, I admit I am not a die hard, I just like playing good games and while I loved Skyrim I didn't need six versions of it.

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Vvardenfell is an island province that is a part of the province of Morrowind. The Dark Elves (Dunmer) are the sovereign governors of Morrowind and for the most part, they serve at the whim of the Emperror.

Vvardenfell OTOH is pretty much ruled by Vivec:  one of the members of The Tribunal and a living Dunmer "god".

Somewhere along the line in the Fourth Era, the Dunmer began to stop worshiping Vivec so as a display of his power and to remind the Dunmer not to fuck with him, Vivec dropped a meteor on the city that bore his name and the resulting impact destroyed all of Vvardenfell.

The "meteor" is significant for two reasons:

1. It served as the headquarters for the enforcement arm of his church aka The Ministry of Truth.

2. It levitated above the city and was held in place by Vivec's power.

What DFA is cryptically referring to is that TES: Online's Morrowind DLC has canonically kept the writers from having Vivec destroy the entire province of Morrowind for the time being, which would be a stupid movie since Morrowind was arguably the most popular game in the franchise.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware Morrowind was that popular. I hear people talk about it fondly, but usually still love Skyrim more. Most of the time I hear people talk about ES6 they seem to want Elsweyr or Valenwood.

Also isn't the Online game supposed to take place hundreds of years before? Has it really disrupted the cannon of Vvardenfell being destroyed?

10 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

But Elder Scrolls is their own little world, I admit I am not a die hard, I just like playing good games and while I loved Skyrim I didn't need six versions of it.

I saw this thrown around before and am confused about it. Realistically isn't there really just the original and special edition? Everything else is basically a port to systems that didn't have access to it before.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware Morrowind was that popular. I hear people talk about it fondly, but usually still love Skyrim more. Most of the time I hear people talk about ES6 they seem to want Elsweyr or Valenwood.

Since I am a Khajiit mark, I'd love to see a game set in Elsweyr.  I'd also like to see a return to Hammerfall or a trip way out to the Akavari Empire.

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Also isn't the Online game supposed to take place hundreds of years before? Has it really disrupted the cannon of Vvardenfell being destroyed?

That's the thing.  I've seen gameplay videos for TES Online set in Vivec City, so I am not terribly sure if the devs followed through with the destruction of Vvardenfell in the live game and I am not inclined to pay for a copy of the game and a subscription to find out.