DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA Playoffs: SEMIFINALS

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's not my imagination right? LeBron really is playing the best basketball of his career right now?

Statistically, his numbers were better during last year's run to the Championship, but this year Love and Irving are 100% healthy and the team is in total rhythm and playing with zero fatigue thanks to the days off, so the Cavs collectively are making things look REALLY easy.

I heard a sports analyst say earlier tonight that the key for the Celtics to win against the Cavs was to keep LeBron from getting a full head of steam and driving to the basket.  You may as well try to walk on the fucking sun.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You should probably shut up on this matter since you decided to repurpose the definition of hypocrisy for utter bullshit. Even you knew it didn't make any sense. Therefore, nobody is gonna take your word on the duties of a NBA coach.

"Come on guys, Gregg Popovich isn't being a hypocritical asshole....he is just being willfully ignorant. Clear difference here."

"you're right guys, my guy Bruce committed a dirty foul. He's a dirty player. I'll take care of him".   Give me a break.  That would never happen nor should it. If something negatively affects HIS team then he needs to speak on it. That's all there is to it.  

I'll give you a perfect example. The media asked David West about Zaza being a dirty player because West himself had issues with Zaza.  West gave a bullshit "he plays hard" and deflected, they even asked him about his own situation with Zaza and he deflected on that.  It's his teammate and you aren't going to bury your own teammate just like a coach won't bury his player. 

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's not his job to say whether a foul or act committed by his own player was dirty or not. 

The existence of absence does not equate to the absence of existence.

Riding Zaza for the same thing you'd compliment Bowen for is hypocrisy, even if you reason it away in favor of your own team and call it by another euphemism like "politicking."

Kawhi's injury may be good for the Dubs, but it's bad for basketball.  Blowouts and Sweeps are boring.

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

"you're right guys, my guy Bruce committed a dirty foul. He's a dirty player. I'll take care of him".   Give me a break.  That would never happen nor should it. If something negatively affects HIS team then he needs to speak on it. That's all there is to it.  

Except nobody is asking him to get into a time machine and criticize Bruce Bowen. Also, I doubt anything regarding the truth is going to adversely affect the team. Unless Kawhi Leonard's ankles consist of cells powered by Pop being a bullshit artist, then it's not going to hurt them that bad. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

How would you like Pop to have handled this?  He has to protect his team. 

Yes, a group of tall, strong young virile men who can fly through the air like gazelles need the protection of a constantly cranky, ornery old white man. It's practically Blue Chips IRL.

They were losing the game by 40 the other night so apparently he wasn't protecting them very well. :lol:

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, a group of tall, strong young virile men who can fly through the air like gazelles need the protection of a constantly cranky, ornery old white man. It's practically Blue Chips IRL.

If a coach complains about something and it becomes a big story their strategy is that the league will look into it or the officials will look at it closer the next game and maybe a call or two goes their way.  

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:08 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

How would you like Pop to have handled this?  He has to protect his team.  You can forget him mentioning anything about Bowen, nobody would ever do that.  

I don't expect anybody to do anything different. 

I do, however, expect sports fans to acknowledge the inherent hypocrisy that comes with pulling for your favorite team and expect to be called out on it.

I am no different during football season.  Every shot that Roethilisberger takes to the knees should be flagged for Unsportsmanlike and every receiver that got concussed by Ryan Clark was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My girlfriend is a Giants fan so in her estimation, Clark was one of the dirtiest Safeties that ever played the game..... Funny that she did not feel this way during Clark's rookie season in NY when he was knocking dudes out of their cleats..

• Like 1

Just now, J.T. said:

I do, however, expect sports fans to acknowledge the inherent hypocrisy that comes with pulling for your favorite team and expect to be called out on it.

Yes all sports fans tend to do that when it comes to their favorite teams but I'm not a Spurs fan, I just feel that Pop did what he had to do. I'm a Celtics fan, I probably have 3 more games left to this season. Let me live. :D

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

If a coach complains about something and it becomes a big story their strategy is that the league will look into it or the officials will look at it closer the next game and maybe a call or two goes their way.  

Yeah, except it was obvious the league wasn't going to punish Zaza in any shape or form and Golden State was going to ream them something fierce in Game 2 (and probably the rest of the series) by any margin they wanted. The officials didn't call game 2 any differently. He didn't help them at all.  He just made himself like a hypocritical asshole who knows his team now has no chance now and is super bitter.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

knows his team now has no chance now and is super bitter.

I think he knew that after game one.  I'm sure part of it was he knew at that point Leonard was probably done for the series and maybe he did feel it was a dirty play.  But regardless, once Leonard goes down the Spurs have no shot.  I think anyone would have reacted the same way.  You go from being a contender to having no chance at all on that one play. 

Yes all sports fans tend to do that when it comes to their favorite teams but I'm not a Spurs fan.

Yes, but you wear your dislike of the Dubs on your sleeve. ;)

You're not really pissed at Zaza, are you?  This is a Steph Curry thing, or a Klay Thompson thing, or both.

The Kevin Durant OKC "betrayal" may also be a factor.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Kevin Durant OKC "betrayal" may also be a factor.

I wasn't thinking about that with what Pop had to say and I don't care about the Warriors franchise but I am consistent on disliking "super teams".   People say it started with Boston but it did not. Those were trades/acquisitions. Allen and KG didn't wake up one day and say I want to go play with my friends.  I didn't like the way the Heat did it and I think Durant is even worse because he left his own team after being up 3-1 last year.  Instead of competing, he eliminated OKC from contention (by leaving) and ran to a 73-win team.  He could have went anywhere. 

I feel it throws the competitive balance way out of a wack. Both these teams are going to be 12-0 heading into the finals. Sure the finals will be appealing but the regular season is more meaningless than ever and the first three rounds of the playoffs have been pretty terrible.  Pacers, Jazz, Blazers, Raptors.  When you think the best team either have faced is either a young Boston Celtics team that doesn't even have a real #1 option (though maybe Thomas is close) or a Spurs team without their MVP candidate...  it's pretty bad. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think anyone would have reacted the same way.  You go from being a contender to having no chance at all on that one play. 

...If you're preaching about protecting team, I'm pretty sure talking about the play itself is the exact opposite of protecting the team. If it's one surefire thing that will send a team into panic mode, it's letting them know indirectly that they have no chance in hell without their clear team MVP. Other than Simmons, every other major player on the team played like they knew what was up. Even Pop said after GM 2 they didn't play like they believed. Yeah, motherfucker because you let it be known that the rest of team couldn't carry Kawhi's jockstrap. Instead of just saying they couldn't dwell too much on Kawhi and the team needed to regroup so they could focus on splitting the games in Oracle, he showed his ass and the team played like an eight seed instead of a two seed. For a man who has an elite championship pedigree, he should know not to wear his heart on his sleeves at the most inopportune time. If you start panicking as a head coach, the team you're coaching is going to follow suit. 

I didn't like the way the Heat did it and I think Durant is even worse because he left his own team after being up 3-1 last year.  Instead of competing, he eliminated OKC from contention (by leaving) and ran to a 73-win team.  He could have went anywhere. 

Not if he wanted to win a championship in the next three years.  There was only one or two places he could go.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Not if he wanted to win a championship in the next three years.  There was only one or two places he could go.

I think if he had gone to Washington which was rumored for a couple years they would have a legit shot at beating anyone with him at the 3 and the back court of Wall and Beal. Maybe not this year but you add a couple pieces to that bench and you already have Porter and Morris making contributions, they'd have been a real title contender for many years.  Wall is 26 and Beal is 23.  The difference there is it's a team on the rise and he's not joining an already established title team. 

So instead of it just being Cleveland and Golden State and maybe the Spurs when they are healthy,  now you have the Wizards as a title contender as well.  But I'll admit, it's not KD's job to make sure everything is balanced.  The league is working on that though, this will probably be the last time we see a top 5 player sign with a title team. 

He left his own team

Eliminated OKC from contention

Ran to 73 win team

Ok, Niners is the dude who calls into random sports talk radio shows during his shift at Arby's when he is suppose to be taking out the trash.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He left his own team

Eliminated OKC from contention

Ran to 73 win team

Ok, Niners is the dude who calls into random sports talk radio shows during his shift at Arby's when he is suppose to be taking out the trash.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Coooooold. Blooooooded.

It's fucking exhausting when Elsalvajeloco comes into a thread and beats his drum hoping everyone will tell him he's right. Every time I see that fucking asian girl throwing up a peace sign I think "Oh jesus this thread is about to go off the rails with him being overly confrontational about some unimportant shit.  I wonder how long before he realizes that the other person won't tell him he's right, so he'll just call them stupid and imply they work in fast food, so he can achieve some semblance of what he believes to be a moral victory." 

It's probably why the MMA section is basically him posting news stories to himself.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It's fucking exhausting when Elsalvajeloco comes into a thread and beats his drum hoping everyone will tell him he's right. Every time I see that fucking asian girl throwing up a peace sign I think "Oh jesus this thread is about to go off the rails with him being overly confrontational about some unimportant shit.  I wonder how long before he realizes that the other person won't tell him he's right, so he'll just call them stupid and imply they work in fast food, so he can achieve some semblance of what he believes to be a moral victory." 

It's probably why the MMA section is basically him posting news stories to himself.

Pretty much this. I don't agree with him so he blows up but whatever. And then @Craig H chimes in. I'm not here to convince anyone that I'm happy with my life. I'd discuss my personal life more but why bother, I don't owe anyone anything.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

You tell 'em, girl.

Wait...are y'all fucking? Personally, I don't want to come between you two and the special, intimate relationship that has been developed.

(Walks in)

Y'all do realize that most of you are full of shit and have no business pointing fingers at each other, right?

And look, I include myself among the DVDVR Asylum Inmates.  So this isn't me thumbing my nose at anyone.  But we manage to be more civil in the wrestling forums these days, for crying out loud.  This is the basketball section.  If we ain't talking about the levels of greatness LeBron has achieved or how we want LaVar Ball in WWE as a heel manager, you're wasting keystrokes.

And labeling someone a fast food worker isn't an insult, or at least not a good one.  Could be the only job they can get so they can feed their family. Only thing I ask is Niners to give me an another sandwich and an extra large Coke. :)

• Like 2