DVDVR Message Board

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena and Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk at SummerSlam 2013. Which is best?

The Natural

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena or Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk at SummerSlam 2013?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena and Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk at SummerSlam 2013. Which is best?

• Bryan vs. Cena.
    • Lesnar vs. Punk.

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

This thread reminds me of a guy I used to work with, who was the biggest CM Punk fan that he couldn't see the forest for the trees. I kid, I kid.

Funny sidenote: I gave said wrestling coworker a tryout and when he couldn't handle it he decided that "wrestling was bullshit," and used Punk losing the title to The Rock to give up on wrestling for good.

Here's a question for you. What other well known or highly regarded match that, as someone who is in the business, you just didn't buy? You were watching it and just thought, "they screwed the pooch on this one." Always interested to hear opinions from actual workers on stuff like this. @Michael Sweetser as well.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:30 AM, (BP) said:

On top of everything else, I'm sure Punk was pissed that they wouldn't use one of Brock's limited dates to give him the win back in the cell for the blowoff. 

I remember their Summerslam match not being bad, mostly because it told a pretty good story of Hunter targeting Brock's abdomen after his bout with diverticulitis. The Mania match is remarkably bad. I don't know if I ever saw the cage match blowoff, but I remember hearing it was decent. 

I always thought the diverticulitis thing should've been played up more as Brock's kryptonite. He should be nigh unbeatable but if his opponent goes after his stomach or midsection, he could conceivably be had. I think that would make structuring his matches so easy as it gives almost any opponent a believable chance against him. It's such an easy crutch to use like HBK's back injury. An opponent could skip like 5 minutes of back work and just nail him with one nasty looking backbreaker or spinebuster that he could sell like death and the crowd would buy it due to his established and well known history of back problems. 

• Like 1

"Screwed the pooch" is a bit of an overstatement. I've no issue with longer matches if they draw me in. I felt like I was looking at my watch during Lesnar/Punk, and that was my issue with it. There's a disconnect where so many people relate "longer equals good" in wrestling, and I have never bought into that. Unless I sat down and watched the match again, right now, I can't give more than that as we are talking about a match that's four years old.

As for other "highly regarded" matches, I couldn't honestly tell you. Highly regarded by whom? What's the measuring stick? I remember people being mad during several "Best of the 80s"  votes because my picks skewed a lot of stuff...but I like what I like, and I don't begrudge people liking something else. Not pointing fingers, but this thread has devolved into a lot of "HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE THIS?"

One thing I did find interesting when doing a quick look-over, is 2013 is the last SummerSlam where Lesnar wasn't the main event: he's been the feature attraction every year since, and is sure to be the guy again this year, too. Sweet deal.

• Like 1

Just now, Marty Sugar said:

"Screwed the pooch" is a bit of an overstatement. I've no issue with longer matches if they draw me in. I felt like I was looking at my watch during Lesnar/Punk, and that was my issue with it. There's a disconnect where so many people relate "longer equals good" in wrestling, and I have never bought into that. Unless I sat down and watched the match again, right now, I can't give more than that as we are talking about a match that's four years old.

As for other "highly regarded" matches, I couldn't honestly tell you. Highly regarded by whom? What's the measuring stick? I remember people being mad during several "Best of the 80s"  votes because my picks skewed a lot of stuff...but I like what I like, and I don't begrudge people liking something else. Not pointing fingers, but this thread has devolved into a lot of "HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE THIS?"

One thing I did find interesting when doing a quick look-over, is 2013 is the last SummerSlam where Lesnar wasn't the main event: he's been the feature attraction every year since, and is sure to be the guy again this year, too. Sweet deal.

Oh I just threw that term out there to disqualify stuff like Hornswoggle wrestling normal sized guys. 

Fair point on Punk/Lesnar. It definitely is a match where people have differing opinions. I've watched it with casual fans whose first reaction was, "how can this skinny asshole hang with this giant dude" but they eventually got sucked in and were rooting for Punk to overcome the odds. And I've watched it with other folks who thought more along your lines of, "yeah, this is stupid, there's no way this goober could last in real life. Why isn't this over yet?" and were basically just waiting for Brock to kill Punk dead.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Half of Punk's comebacks came from kneeing Brock in the head. Don't care who you are, that's credible as it gets.

Ambrose/Brock would've been infinitely more tolerable if they'd have copied the Punk/Brock match. They even set it up like it was going to be that way where Dean knew he was going to be overmatched so he knew he'd have to rely on weapons and the street fight stip to hang. Fucking Terry Funk gave him a goddamn chainsaw! Instead Brock just murdered him and it made for a boring match. 

5 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Where did I say anything about Triple H vs. Brock? Where did I say anything about Cena vs. Brock? Where did I say anything about size being a factor?

If it was a Gracie situation, where Punk was some mat technician and could tie Brock up and counter all that strength...I could buy that. Punk never showed any serious MMA skills: not in the WWE, and definitely not when he stepped into the UFC ;)

I would've bought Bryan/Lesnar because we KNOW Daniel can go to the mat and take a big man down.

I brought up several instances of Brock going over 15 minutes with people in his first run back, and they happened to be Cena and Triple H before he got to the Punk match. Neither of those guys are mat technicians. You could stretch it and say Triple H is, maybe, but that time had long since passed. The only thing those two have that you mentioned in the above post is the ability to counter Brock's strength. But it's not really a factor, since the return match with Cena, his three matches with Triple H after that, and the Punk match, were all under either Extreme Rules, No DQ or Steel Cage rules, so it's not an even playing field. None of those people NEED to have MMA ability or be a mat technician when there are basically no rules.