DVDVR Message Board

RAW IS TAPED IN LONDON - 5/8/17 (SPOILERS~!)

RIPPA

The RAW tapings just finished

- The Miz and Dean Ambrose are the co-general managers for tonight’s show.

- Finn Balor defeated The Miz 

Miz had the ref DQ Balor after pushing him into the ref. Ambrose came out and restarted the match, allowing Balor to pin Miz after the Coup de Grace.

- Raw Women's Champion Alexa Bliss defeated Mickie James

Nia Jax was in Bliss’ corner and Bayley was in James'. Bayley drove out Bliss, but Nia came in and destroyed James after the match.

- A Samoa Joe promo led into a brawl between him and Seth Rollins.

- Braun Strowman, who came back one week from a torn rotator cuff, said he wouldn't face Kalisto as Roman Reigns has been avoiding him. He laid out Kalisto anyway when the bell rang, which led to Reigns coming out. Reigns attacked him and targeted the injured arm, sending him retreating through the crowd.

- Sheamus and Cesaro won the number one contender's tag team turmoil match

Cesaro and Sheamus first defeated Enzo and Cass after Cesaro submitted Enzo with the sharpshooter. Sheamus soon followed with another win, pinning Heath Slater with a Brogue kick. Golden Truth came out after Anderson and Gallows were eliminated and they had a good back and forth match until Cesaro pins Goldust with a roll-up.

Sheamus and Cesaro beat up Golden Truth after the match, leading to The Hardys coming out for the save.

- Seth Rollins defeated Samoa Joe by DQ 

Joe threw Rollins' head into an exposed turnbuckle for the DQ in a long match. Joe locked in the Coquina Clutch for good measure.

- TJP defeated Jack Gallagher

He won after countering a roll-up and grabbing the tights. TJP took Gallagher out after the match and put on the kneebar until Austin Aries came in for the save. 

- Sasha Banks defeated Alicia Fox

Banks won via Meteora. The commentators argued Fox had her shoulder up after the match.

- Ambrose will defend the Intercontinental Championship against The Miz next week.

- Bray Wyatt defeated Dean Ambrose

Miz was on commentary for this and took shots at Ambrose. He said that the IC title is only relevant when he's in the picture.

Miz and Maryse eventually made their way to ringside. Ambrose was distracted, but countered a Sister Abigail attempt by Wyatt into a near fall. Miz again distracted Ambrose by grabbing the IC title, but Ambrose escaped from Wyatt and hit Miz with a dive to the outside.

Miz hit Ambrose with the belt while the ref wasn't looking. After getting a near fall, Wyatt connected with Sister Abigail and pinned Ambrose. Miz announced Wyatt as the winner. Miz attacked Ambrose after the match, then said that everyone will view him as the Intercontinental Champion and say that he's awesome next week.

21 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Even from a wrestling standpoint, the idea that the two guys feuding over the IC title would be co-GMs for a night is ridiculous. Has WWE forgotten who "Pick Your Poison" works?

I'd say they've forgotten how a lot of things work. I guess that's what happens when senility sets in.

• Like 4

I didnt tune in until the last 90 mins, but this was boring.  I missed the Wyatt angle at the beginning, but thank you Raw for making it, despite the booking, the first time I ever didn't give a shit about Bray Wyatt.

Also,  It's fucking ludicrous that the champ (Lesnar) is such a non entity that the title isn't mentioned.  

If it weren't for Roman/Braun, Miz, and Sheamus/Cesaro grasping the concept of entertainment, that would have been a complete waste. It wasn't even so bad beyond Enzo's literally shitty promo. Just boring, and that was based on me barely skimming along. The women's division may have something going in a couple of weeks. Everyone else is various flavors of MEH.

I promise I don't go out of my way to hate Seth Rollins.  But my word, is he DULL.  And he's getting worse.

Unmotivated in the ring or not, wiseacre Ambrose has been entertaining as of late.  Calling the random production guy "headset" and saying Kurt had a sick dog and that no one could blame him for noshowing struck me a lot funnier than it probably should have.

• Like 3

This was an average show made worse by a bad crowd.

The co-gm thing was dumb and unnecessary. They would have been better off just leaving Ambrose in charge. Roman/Braun was nice. I kind of like Kalisto never giving up on challenging Strowman even though he never has even a snowball's chance in hell. 

People here are getting what they want with Alexa and Nia becoming besties. I prefer Nia as a monster on her own, but I do enjoy Alexa's reactions to her so the pairing should be fun for while. Sasha/Alicia was nice while it lasted.

28 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Has anyone ever figured out why super Englishy English gentleman Jack "The Englishman" Gallagher enters to a theme by a French composer about an affair between a Spanish soldier and a Romani prostitute?

'Cause the Bulldogs already took "Rule, Britannia!" and Macho Man took "Pomp and Circumstance"...I mean I guess they coulda had him come in whistling "Colonel Bogey"...

37 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Has anyone ever figured out why super Englishy English gentleman Jack "The Englishman" Gallagher enters to a theme by a French composer about an affair between a Spanish soldier and a Romani prostitute?

I dunno man, all I know is March of the Toreodors is one of the default themes in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (just called "Carmen") and I'm not gonna complain about getting some accuracy.

I actually really enjoyed most of this show.

Tag turmoil was great.  About the only failing was Michael Cole overselling (Almost definitely at the behest of Vince) Golden Truth's possible upset so much that you knew it wasn't happening.  But it was a lengthy match that totally held the crowd's attention the whole time, built up everyone (Sheamus/Cesaro looks super badass going through everyone; Enzo/Cass held their own; Heath/Rhyno were defeated after some chicanery; Anderson/Gallows looked like badasses; Truth/Dust looked competitive).

Women's matches were both fun (Though the crowd was more interested in something going on in the crowd during Sasha-Fox). 

Cruiser match was fun, though it probably would have worked better if Gallagher won on the flash-headbutt at the start, then had TJP attack him from behind.

WWE STILL trying to book Braun as a heel ("I know," I picture Vince saying, "We'll have him beg off due to injury, THAT will make them cheer Roman!") is super funny.  Hopefully SOMEONE will hear the pop for Strowman challenging Brock and they'll call an audible on their supposed plans for Reigns-Brocky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I didnt tune in until the last 90 mins, but this was boring.  I missed the Wyatt angle at the beginning, but thank you Raw for making it, despite the booking, the first time I ever didn't give a shit about Bray Wyatt.

What the hell took you so long?

• Like 1

I fell asleep during parts of Raw.  Partly due to being tired, but mainly because the show was just boring.  I wouldn't put it past WWE to turn down the crowd noise, but even if they didn't that was one of the quieter English crowds.  But with all the stuff to watch I'm struggling to find reason to go back and watch what I missed, seems like I didn't miss much.  I did enjoy the hell out of Sasha/Alicia and would love if they got into a quality feud.

• Like 1