DVDVR Message Board

Best Short Performances in a Movie/TV role

RonL21

18 hours ago, rainmakerrtv said:

I'm going to throw out an obscure one : Phillip Baker Hall in Say Anything. He took on a short role as an IRS agent and managed to make him both brutally blunt and compassionate at the same time.

Phillip Baker Hall is just so incredible, Magnolia is my favorite film, so I don't think I have to say anything else. Also, he was stupendous in Hard Eight as well, yes, I'm a PTA fanboy. 

• Like 1

There have been various slight deviations of this thread, which is why I haven't dropped Richard Harris in Unforgiven and J.T. Walsh in Slingblade yet. There hasn't been a P4P best ensemble in a film thread that I can remember.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Does Vincent D'onofrio and R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket count? 

I'd say no. They're starring in half the movie.

2 hours ago, Ace said:

I'd say no. They're starring in half the movie.

Well, I'll go with Papillon Soo Soo aka Me Love You Long Time because really you can't top that as an actress. You have to just walk away from the business on a high note.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 6:20 PM, RonL21 said:

I ended up watching Flight today, and while Denzel Washington was amazing in his role, John Goodman was awesome in his little time on screen. Such a perfect combination of casting and performance for a character that wasn't on screen for even 10 minutes.

What have been some other great performances with minimal screen/TV time?

You could probably name John Goodman for a few of these. My favourite is Inside Llewyn Davis....a film I absolutely hated except for the probably <10 minutes he was in it. Seriously, just make the movie about his heroin addict jazz man, rather than Llewyn moping around for 2 hours.

On 5/8/2017 at 2:27 PM, rainmakerrtv said:

I'm going to throw out an obscure one : Phillip Baker Hall in Say Anything. He took on a short role as an IRS agent and managed to make him both brutally blunt and compassionate at the same time.

Phillip Baker Hall is also literally the only funny thing in Larry David's Sour Grapes.  His scene is less than two minutes, and I bought the movie out of a bargain bin solely for it.

And not to give a double meaning to the question, but Peter Dinklage steals his few scenes in Living in Oblivion, one of his early if not first roles.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The passing of Michael Parks reminded me of how he pretty much stole the first ten minutes of From Dusk Til Dawn.

It's crazy that the two non-featured actors in that scene are Michael Parks and John fucking Hawkes.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, elizium said:

You could probably name John Goodman for a few of these. My favourite is Inside Llewyn Davis....a film I absolutely hated except for the probably <10 minutes he was in it. Seriously, just make the movie about his heroin addict jazz man, rather than Llewyn moping around for 2 hours.

John Goodman was also great in his 2 scenes in O Brother Where Art Thou.

On 5/9/2017 at 0:35 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this guy yet either 

mrwolf-cl1-jkt1-lpls.jpg

I was scrolling up instead of down and I thought for a split second you were commending Julia Sweeney for her brief but amazing cameo in Pulp Fiction.

Speaking of Tarantino, Don Johnson's combined 5 minutes' screentime in Django was pretty great.  I can never again hear the name Jerry without thining, "treat him like you would Jerry!"