DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK TV TAPING RESULTS - DAY ONE & DAY TWO

RIPPA

Spoilers here Duh

Spoiler

Submitted by reader James Ryder

This was a loud UK crowd with some very non-PG chants at times. Some chants were irrelevant and took away from the matches occasionally. It was a solid show, with the main event being by far the best match.

Dark match --
- Roy Johnson defeated HC Dyer

This was short and not very good.

TV taping results --
- William Regal came out to a loud ovation, thanking the fans and saying that we'll be first to witness what they're doing. He announced Mark Andrews vs. James Drake. The winner will face whoever is champion tomorrow.

- Mark Andrews defeated James Drake

The crowd was very quiet for the start, but soon warmed up with a "let's go Jesus, Jesus sucks" chant. That was followed by "let's go Andrews, Jesus sucks" chants. There was a "power of Christ compels you" chant as well.

Andrews reversed a suplex into a stunner, then followed with the shooting star press for the win. The match had a good closing stage with stiff shots from both.

- Saxon Huxley & Akira Tozawa defeated Brian Kendrick & Tony Nese

Huxley was over as the "real Jesus" and Tozawa got a big pop as well. Tozawa got a hot tag and ran wild, including an impressive Sick Kick. Tozawa and Huxley won after Tozawa used a top rope senton splash.

- Pete Dunne defeated Sam Gradwell

Dunne worked over Gradwell's arm/fingers for a lot of the match. They traded stiff slaps during the middle portion. Dunne caught Gradwell coming off the top rope with a forearm and followed with the Bitter End for the win.

- TJP defeated Rich Swann

Swann was on offense early before TJP started working over his leg. Swann made a short comeback, trading hard kicks with TJP after escaping a kneebar attempt. After exchanging pin attempts, TJP locked in the kneebar for the win. This was a standard 205 Live match.

- Tyson T-Bone defeated Dan Moloney

The crowd chanted "Dan, Dan, Dan" in the cadence of the "10" chant. This was nothing special. T-Bone won with a draping DDT off the top turnbuckle.

- Trent Seven defeated Wolfgang

This was a good, hard-hitting match. Wolfgang "injured" Seven's arm, which played into the match later when Seven couldn't properly apply a single-leg crab. Wolfgang tried a Swanton, but Seven countered with two knees and won with a Burning Hammer.

- WWE United Kingdom Champion Tyler Bate defeated Joseph Conners to retain his title

Excellent match. Conners used some unique offense, including a backdrop into a front slam combination. Bate fired back with a flurry of punches to the crowd's delight.

Bate did a Fosbury flop where he caught the top rope on the way over but still managed to adjust and hit the move. He hit a second rope fireman's carry and the Tyler Driver '97 for the win.

- Dunne will face Seven on tomorrow's show. The winner will challenge for the UK title at NXT TakeOver: Chicago.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/wwe-uk-tv-taping-results-tyler-bate-puts-his-title-line-235021

Yeah not a fan of using the 205 Live guys to fill up a taping.  With all of the talent in the UK and all the companies supposedly working with the WWE and they have to use Swann, TJP, and others.  And yes I know guys like Sabre Jr and Osprey wouldn't be there.  Oh may maybe guys like Jimmy Havoc will be on the next tapings 

If this is the trend then those WWE India shows are going to be something

Day Two

Spoiler

Submitted by reader James Ryder

- Before the show started, PROGRESS Wrestling co-owner Jim Smallman cut a promo for the live crowd. He said 2017 is the year for British wrestling and acknowledged the chants from last night and made a joke of them. He interacted with those in the crowd who weren't there at night one.

TV taping results --
- Wolfgang defeated Joseph Conners

This was a lengthy match and Conners controlled most of it. He repeatedly ignored the ref's requests during the match. Wolfgang caught Conners coming off the second rope with a gut check at one point. The story of the match was Wolfgang selling his ribs after being worked on, but he eventually won with a Swanton Bomb.

- Brian Kendrick & TJP defeated Dan Moloney & Rich Swann 

Moloney was over with the crowd after last night, with the audience again chanting "Dan, Dan, Dan." TJP was taunting the crowd during the early part of the match and thought he was attacking the arm of Moloney over the rope, but turned around to realize that he was doing it to Kendrick. The crowd was very pro-Kendrick during the match as well.

Swann got a hot tag to Moloney after a short time and the crowd chanted "Dan" to each move Moloney hit before he was cut off again by TJP. Kendrick pinned Moloney with a cradle and a handful of tights. Swann and Moloney danced for the crowd after the match.

- Tyson T-Bone defeated Saxon Huxley

T-Bone started the match trying to box with Huxley. The match was short and not very good at all. T-Bone won with a top rope draping DDT.

- Akira Tozawa defeated Tony Nese

This was a very good match. The crowd loved Tozawa and did his battle cry chant during his entrance. After some early offense from Tozawa, Nese took over and tried to submit him with a torture rack. Tozawa escaped but was cut off again and Nese did a springboard moonsault off of the second rope from the outside and into the ring.

There was a really good sequence late into the match with them trading kicks and counters. Nese got the better of it with a double foot stomp to Tozawa on the mat. Nese eventually missed a 450 and Tozawa hit a Saito suplex for two before winning with a senton off the top rope.

- Triple H came out for a promo. The crowd chanted "We want Mania" at him. He acknowledged some of the crowd. He thanked the UK fans for making the shows possible. He said WWE will continue coming back if the fans keep coming to the shows.

- Sam Gradwell defeated James Drake

They had a basic match, with the crowd chanting multiple different things at both. Gradwell won with a diving headbutt.

- Pete Dunne defeated Trent Seven in a number one contender's match to earn a UK title shot at NXT TakeOver: Chicago

Dunne was introduced as the PROGRESS Wrestling Champion and came out with the belt. He worked on Seven's arms early in the match. He trapped Seven's bandaged arm in the steel steps and kicked them while on the outside. He continued working over Seven when they were back in the ring until Seven fired back with chops, a DDT, and a suicide dive.

Dunne countered Seven's offense, with them eventually brawling on the outside and trading shots on the apron before Seven gave Dunne a German suplex on it. After some more back and forth action, Dunne won with the Bitter End.

He got on the mic after the match and told us people would get hurt and that he'll win the title at TakeOver "by any means necessary."

- United Kingdom Champion Tyler Bate defeated Mark Andrews to retain his title

This was a really good main event. It had lots of counters and "This is awesome" and "British wrestling" chants throughout.

They felt each other out in the early part of the match before having a lot of good back and forth. Andrews went for a shooting star press near the finish, but Bate countered with two knees and followed up with a rolling kick and the Tyler Driver '97 for the win.

Dunne attacked Andrews on the ramp after the match, which brought out William Regal. Dunne and Bate had a staredown in the ring with Regal watching on as well. Bate posed for the fans and Regal raised his hand, then left while clapping and bowing out of respect to Bate. Bate waved to the crowd and left.

- We were thanked for attending. They announced that the shows will be on the WWE Network later this month.

Lol, those taping results remind me of the initial incarnation of 1PW Wrestling 10+ years ago.  1PW had a decent roster of UK talent, but also had a working deal with TNA and the booker decided that what UK audiences really wanted to see was..... even more of TNA guys!  Yay?  The booking was basically 'Merican wrasslers with a few UK wrestlers thrown in to give the Americans someone to job for them.  Their first three heavyweight champions were Abyss-Steve Corino-Abyss. Ugh.  

Actually, if i recall correctly, the majority of the guys in the title tournaments to crown the first set of champions were TNA wrestlers and a few US indy guys like Cabana.  Very little UK talent.  Staniels (AJ Styles-Christopher Daniels) had a nice run as tag champs too.  Meanwhile, Doug Williams, a young Dave Mastiff, and El Ligero got put into sideline feuds.  

With as much UK talent as there is right now, there's no reason they should be taping a tag match with three guys from 205 Live 

Edited by Horton Hears a Wooo!!!

I still find it amusing they threw together the UK Championship purely because World of Sport was coming together. I kinda hope they have Gallahger more involved with the UK show just so he isnt comedy fodder for 205 live. It would be so much easier if the WWE just let Progress or whoever run one of these shows and they just throw the WWE UK label on it. But you know how the WWE has to be.

• Like 1

The first of two shows is airing on the Network on Thursday at 8 PM

It will be a 90 minute show

They are calling it "UK Championship special"

• Like 1

Per the Daily Mirror (since the WWE doesn't leak news to just the US Press)

The following matches will appear on the first episode

Tyler Bate vs Mark Andrews
Trent Seven vs Pete Dunne
Wolfgang vs Joseph Conners
Rich Swann/Dan Moloney vs TJP/Kendrick

Thought Dunne/Seven was great except for the finish sequence being a little wonky. Dunne is such a great bastard and Seven still looked strong as he went in injured.

Not to get all Rip Rogers but I thought the main was a bit of overkill and could have been reigned in a bit. Seems like it followed the indy epic blueprint. Still a good showing by both guys. 

Regal nearly stole the show with his facials showing his disgust for Dunne and just waiting for him to step out of line.

I'm not sure that JR is the right man for commentary for this. I would've preferred someone with a bit more knowledge of the UK scene, or at least someone who sounds a bit more modern and less Southern old-timey. If I had my way though, Graves wouldn't have a day off.

• Like 1

I never watched the UK Championship tournament show, so... this is my first experience with all these guys. And, surprise, I enjoyed it a lot. Kinda dimly lit, which was weird. Good show though, I enjoyed pretty much everything besides Wolfgang/Conners. Just didn't seem like they meshed that well. Dunne is a fucking star in the making, I get weird vibes of a more savage Regal from him.

One funny note is that, in the first few minutes of the show, when JR and Nigel are "at the ramp" talking about the show... man, that's some horrible fucking green screen/CGI/whatever. It was painfully obvious they weren't there live. It made me laugh.

• Like 1

I am only half way into the show but while the action is very good and the commentary is strong, it kind of feels like all of the energy of the UK wrestling scene is taken way.    Maybe it is the way the show is mic'ed or the rather generic looking building but it just feels differently.   It definitely picked up on Dunne vs Seven which was really good.