DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Chicago

Dolfan in NYC

Suspend Ciampa, have him attack Regal on the announcement, "fire" him, build Gargano up for several months, give him a title shot at a Takeover, bring a healed Ciampa back to screw him out of the title and start the blood feud. Easy enough workaround.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

About that...

Why isn't NXT, 205 Live, and the UK Championship all parts of one touring brand?  They could do half the tapings in Florida, the other half in the UK, and put the cruiserweights in front of audiences who actually want to see them.  

Because that would make too much sense.

Btw, it can't be said enough. Dunne/Bate was easily the best wwe match this year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Yeah, I want AJ Styles vs Tyler Bate.

I also want AJ Styles vs Cedric Alexander.

And while I am at it, Cedric Alexander vs Tyler Bate

There needs to be more crossover between NXT, 205 Live, and the UK guys.  Tyler Bate could be the next challenger for Bobby Roode.  Drew McIntyre can challenge Dunne.  Instead of keeping the cruiserweights in the 205 ghetto, let them have feuds with NXT guys every once in a while.

• Like 1

My fiance is an at an arms length wrestling fan.  She enjoys the storylines more than the matches.  She only watches Raw and some bits of smackdown and never NXT

Her reaction to the DIY/Ciampa heel turn was amazing.  She loved the whole show, loved the match and let out an audible "aw" during the DIY chant as they stood in the ring.

When shit hit the fan, she was ont he edge of her seat and said "holy shit"

It was fucking awesome to see her that invested in something that she has only recently got into.

• Like 3

Haven't read all the thread yet, some random thoughts:

Airing the copyright thing before the angle was fucking brilliant.

The angle itself was also fucking brilliant.

Dunne/Bate was fantastic.

Bobby Roode continues to be virtually perfect in every thing he does. Match was excellent, his selling and storytelling are as good or better than anyone else in the entire company. Christ I miss old school heels, and he's the best old school heel in years. He was the best thing in TNA, and he's instantly become the best thing in NXT. 

The ladder match itself took a long time to really kick into gear, but the finishing stretch was incredible. Johnny taking that ladder shot was beautiful even before he was paid back in scorn. I was begging them to hold onto the belts during the double powerbomb setup. 

I really thought after the CWC and they first failed to win the tag belts, Ciampa was going to turn on Gargano. I'm so glad they held off on it, because we got so many great matches and then when it finally happened is meant so much.

At this point, Auska might need a tank to be beaten. 

No matter how many times I see Roddy hit the suplex into a backbreaker, it still electrifies me. It's just fucking cool looking. 

Really great show, no bad matches, three really fucking good ones, including a star making classic for two Brits and another MVP performance from Roode.

Christ Almighty that closing beatdown was vicious. Gargano's confused look after the first attack was perfect, like he wasn't really believing Tomaso did that too him.

• Like 5

I'm also still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Bate just turned 20 a couple months ago. That 450 corkscrew was the best kind of high spot. Flashy and cool but he also landed it flush and it looked painful as fuck.

• Like 2

This was a pretty solid show considering the talent that wasn't being used.

Strong/EY was definitely Young's best NXT match so far. Roddy actually got put over pretty strong so hopefully he's on the way up.

Dunne/Bate was definitely WWE's best match in this slow year. I was really surprised by the amount of heat it got and JR as the guest announcer gave it an extra rub. That was easily the most impressed I've been with anything related to the WWE UK product.

The women's match was fairly disappointing. Nikki was off and Ruby isn't connecting with the crowd right now. Asuka pretty much mailed it in and she still cast a huge shadow over two of the top prospects in NXT.

The NXT title match was horrendously booked unless the goal was to book Itami out of the company. Most of the match was your standard Bobby Roode snoozefest, but it started to get interesting with the dueling arm and leg injuries. Having the heel be the one who guts through the pain for a clean win, though... Jeeezus. Even if you want to book Itami down or set up a heel turn, Roode getting a win by holding the ropes would've been just fine.

Ladder match was ok, considering how bad of a fit it was for AoP. The belts seemed much lower than usual to set up the finish which led to some really egregious slow-climbing and alligator-arming. Gargano seemed to have a death wish which filled the memorable spot quota. I'm not as excited about the heel turn as everyone else. It was basically a cross between Owens turning on Sami at R-Evolution and Owens turning on Jericho on Raw. It definitely didn't have the emotional impact of the latter because they weren't planting any seeds in advance, and the timing aspect was a ripoff of the former. The graphic fake out was brilliant the first time, but the more it's done the more it creeps towards "ref x signal." Gargano's facial expressions were nice and going forward it's the right move. Ciampa will be great as a heel and Gargano has a decent ceiling in singles. Not buying the best turn ever stuff, though. It wasn't anywhere near as good as Owens/Jericho which everyone saw coming and doesn't even begin to sniff Owens/Sami which was more surprising and more violent in a shorter amount of time.

Who was it that said that "What's so Stunning about Stunning Steve Austin"? One of the Fullers?

What's so riotous about Ruby Riot? "Tonight I wanna start a riot!".....by wrestling two other females in the ring as advertised. Same thing as Dean Ambrose, edgy character portrayed as dull as possible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Who was it that said that "What's so Stunning about Stunning Steve Austin"? One of the Fullers?

What's so riotous about Ruby Riot? "Tonight I wanna start a riot!".....by wrestling two other females in the ring as advertised. Same thing as Dean Ambrose, edgy character portrayed as dull as possible.

I thought was Dr. Tom. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bobby Roode continues to be virtually perfect in every thing he does. Match was excellent, his selling and storytelling are as good or better than anyone else in the entire company. Christ I miss old school heels, and he's the best old school heel in years. He was the best thing in TNA, and he's instantly become the best thing in NXT. 

Zj3r35u.gif

• Like 6

Very good Takeover as usual. Strong/Young was a hot opener, enjoying Strong's rise. Bate/Dunne was off the charts for sure. Wasn't that invested going in but it ended up blowaway great. I dig Bate's full beard look much more. Thought the women's match was a lot of fun with some solid spots throughout. I'll always enjoy Asuka. Guessing she drops to Ember in Brooklyn, which at least is so much better built to now.

Another awesome Roode takeover match. A solid follow up to the Roode/Nakamura series which are in my top 5 matches of the year so far. Loved the rolling Glorious DDT finish. Never thought Itami was going to win but thought the card placement only made it worse and also telegraphed that something big was going down in the tag match. I figured it'd be the turn but hoped not. Did end up loving the ladder match. So many great spots, lots of false finishes and a killer finish. Didn't love the turn, cause I much preferred both guys together after never caring for either prior to their team but I think it will turn out well in the end.

The issue I have with the majority of the women being trained in NXT is that they all wrestle the exact same match. They all rely on quick / random rollups. they all execute rollups the same way. 

Off topic, but Nikki Cross (whom I love dearly), is a dead ringer for a young female Davey Boy Smith... and I can't get that out of my head now.

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought was Dr. Tom. 

It was Dutch.