DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Chicago

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So why would you do the major heel turn now until waiting that he comes back from the "significant injury"?   I mean they could get around it with just promos and "I won't fight you" stuff but the timing is strange

A much needed rest does not mean he will be unavailable. They could very well pull what they did with Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn with the sheer anticipation of Zayn's comeback and retribution being  the pay off.

Then again, that only worked because Owens was the heel and Sami was hurt. They did kind of put themselves in a hole with this turn unless they have Ciampa playing an inactive role and building up the tension with Gargano. Like a stipulation of Ciampa being untouchable until he is active again. That way they can keep building heat until Ciampa comes back. Of course, this very well could be a Daniel Bryan and Miz situation with just reverse wrestling alignments and not permanent.

Yeah, I popped for the turn, but thinking about how they are going to pull it off with Ciampa's status leaves me confounded. 

If Zach Sabre Jr wrestled like Tyler Bate and Pete Dunne, maybe I would have not written off British wrestling initially.

Io Shirai beats Asuka clean and takes the belt because quite frankly, she is the only woman who deserves to end Asuka's streak. Fuck all the Ember bullshit.

Good show overall.

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

Predictions:

Roode retains the NXT Title against Itami.

Asuka keeps the NXT Women's Title from Riot and Cross.

Authors of Pain remain the NXT Tag Team Champions beating DIY.

Dunne becomes the new UK Champion over Bate.

Strong beats Young.

Yeah me ; )

Great match in Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate. I enjoyed it even more on a second viewing. MOTY candidate and maybe a fiver as well.

• Like 3

Strong/Young did little for me. Not really into either guy.

Dunne/Bate was amazing, better than the tournament final and easily up wit the top 3 matches for WWE this year.

Women's title match was decent. Coming after the UK Title match did them no favors, but even w/o that it wouldn't have been a strong match. A lot of what Nikki did seemed to lack real impact and they were a little off a few times.

I was only half there mentally for Itami/Roode. I liked the last half where I was really paying attention. Can't say much more than that.

The Tag titles match was good with some neat set ups. The turn by Ciampa after the match was even better. I especially liked how they lured you into thinking the show was over just before it happened. Not sure where they plan to go with this, but if DIY are staying in NXT for now it was the right move to do something new with both guys.

I don't get to see a ton of live wrestling, but I saw Bate and Dunne one day short of a year ago at the CHIKARA show in London. I thought Tyler was a bit of a blackhole charisma wise (I didn't know he was 19), but he impressed me in the ring. Dunne I knew about from the match vs Gallagher, and he had the kavorka but...fuck me, these guys had really levelled up by the UK Tournament and they just went and levelled up again. 

Congrats to both, they just got made. No matter who he is or what he's done, they can look him right in the eye.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sin Carne said:

I lol'ed when he picked up the water bottle, appeared to read the label, then threw it at the floor.  Damn it. He wanted Evian.

Also, cussing out Jesus Christ is not cool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

So why would you do the major heel turn now until waiting that he comes back from the "significant injury"?   I mean they could get around it with just promos and "I won't fight you" stuff but the timing is strange

The word for months now has been that Ciampa needs MAJOR elbow surgery. Most likely a year plus out.

Wasn't particularly excited for the show but it definitely delivered.  Liked Young-Strong more than I expected, though i like both guys more than most and think Roddy is best suited to be a babyface.

Dug the women's match. but they've done an awful job making fans think any other woman on the roster is near Asuka's level.   She either holds the belt tii Kairi or Io comes in or slips on a banana peel and falls underneath Ember Moon.  I wish she had come in before Charlotte and Becky got called up.  Of course, they could just put Asuka on the main roster but that does't seem to be happening any time soon.

Kinda beginning to get behind the Authors of Pain.  Thought they were a generic hoss team when they debuted, but they're growing on me and they've held their end up in some very good matches.  I'm not really invested in Gargano and Ciampa one way or the other so I was fine with the heel turn.  It was well executed and got Ciampa some serious heat.  Neither guy strikes me as someone who will do well on the main roster, either as a team or in singles, so it seems like they're going to hit their ceilings soon.  Maybe go on to 205 after this.

I like Roode.  Wish they'd call him up, but that seems a longshot for him.  Itami seems dead in the water, unless he turns heel and that revives his prospects.

Still think NXT could improve creatively.  Too many talented guys on the roster just taking up space and not really getting much to work with from the company.

14 hours ago, nofuture said:

Gargano is better off being the face 205 Live needs and Ciampa is the heel NXT needs.  They'd be DOA as a tag team on the main roster

205 live is DITW no one cares about it, and Gargano working in front of dead crowds where 90% of the audience doesn't know who he is isn't going to change that.

17 minutes ago, JCM said:

205 live is DITW no one cares about it, and Gargano working in front of dead crowds where 90% of the audience doesn't know who he is isn't going to change that.

About that...

Why isn't NXT, 205 Live, and the UK Championship all parts of one touring brand?  They could do half the tapings in Florida, the other half in the UK, and put the cruiserweights in front of audiences who actually want to see them.  

• Like 13

Went onto Dailymotion to see what all the hubbub is about and yeah, Bate/Dunne was awesome. Great technical stuff morphing into joint torture and eventually just smash mouth violence, then, as said earlier, they level up. The airplane spin (!!!), the tired sloppy punch segment where both guys are just totally winded but each needs that one strike, and that corkscrew 450 that legit splattered Dunne with full body weight were among the highlights. The highspots towards the end made sense because Bate was going all out instead of trying to stand toe-to-toe with Dunne like he'd done the rest of the match in order to win. They also didn't look like they pulled a single strike the entire time. Fantastic match. 

• Like 2

A very good show that I enjoyed watching.  I really liked the finish for Roode vs. Itami.

If I have one major gripe, I think the main event should've been a Street Fight or NHB match instead of a ladder match.  I'm not sure Authors of Pain were well suited for the Ladder Match style.  

Gargano pushing Ciammpa out of the way to take the ladder is even better now since Ciammpa turned. And my god, did he take that ladder.

It was mentioned here, but if Ciammpa is hurt, it would be perfect to build their first contact as way down the line. Have Gargano maybe go on a tear, or just always get screwed over by some sort of CIammpa interferance and finally in Brooklyn have it out. Or maybe further along since NXT can run long angles. Or, maybe have Ciammpa step up his game and chase Roode (if he isn't hurt) or Drew, since he's probably next in line, and do EVERYTHING he can to avoid Gargano. I don't think those two need a belt to have a great fued though.

Roddy is fantastic. Keep pushing him, please. Tampa!!!

Pete Dunne is a star. He just looks like a punk who is gonna try and be a dick in the bar and then actually back it up, even if he is short-ish. His whole look is just so great. I would have liked if he came out with the Progress belt like on the special, but oh well.

Rewatch Takeover:Brooklyn 2 from last year and catch the end of the DIY/Revival match. After the match Ciampa gave Gargano... a look. Blink-and-you-miss-it stuff. They could've done the heel turn then and there... instead they waited NINE MONTHS to pull the trigger.  Really amazing when you think about it. 

• Like 2