DVDVR Message Board

NXT TAKEOVER - Chicago

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'll be in the minority, I don't care.  Fucking hated it.  Such a total waste of what could have been a much bigger deal down the line.  

Out of curiosity, what are you thinking about when you say down the line?  On the main roster?  I mean, maybe there's a case for that, but if they're not getting called up anytime soon (and based on the fact, they ran this angle, I'm guessing not), then what else is there for them to do in NXT as a team?

I doubt they could've gotten a bigger reaction anywhere else than they got tonight, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Owens turning on Jericho was pretty great.

Bate vs. Dunne was an instant classic. MOTY for sure in WWE. It was already a MOTYC and then it just kept getting better.

The rest of the card was enjoyable enough. I thought a lot of the matches were pretty average but had hot finishes which always helps.

Owens Jericho wasnt a heel turn though. Owens was a heel already.

• Like 1

So I'm even more convinced the winner of the women's tournament will be the one to beat Asuka. My favorite little thing of the night was when Asuka went for the double pin she made sure to move Nikki Cross' arm off Ruby Riot's body so there would be no confusion on who won

• Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one to think Bate/Dunne is WWE MOTY so far. Amazing.

There were a couple of scary moments in the tag match where I legitimately thought there had to be a serious injury. Gargano is nuts to take that ladder shot to the face.

• Like 2

I just think they could have done something as a team on the main roster.  Or maybe not, they might have been ruined right off the bat. I don't think they'll ever be anything as singles guys on the main roster.  It's like The Shield break-up.  They took a great team and ended it because that's just what you do.  And I hated that too.

On the other hand, I fucking loved Bate/Dunne.  Absolutely the highlight of the show.

• Like 1

Can we talk the beauty of Gargano taking that ladder shot of death for Ciampa, only for Ciampa to do that post match? Or that this goes all the way back to there damn CWC match when Gargano lowered the knee brace, then raised it back up because he didnt want to hurt his friend?

A year in the fuckin making.

• Like 9

Oddly enough, I was just thinking to myself earlier in the show that Itami needed to turn heel soon, because, well, 1) he has no momentum as a face, but 2) NXT is short on top level heels to go against McIntyre/Ohno/Black/Strong (since poor Sombra is just a job boy).

Then, boom, Ciampa is the biggest heel on the roster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I now want Ciampa to run fucking through Roode, to set up Gargano/Ciampa for the belt.

I don't think this would be bad or anything, but I don't think Gargano/Ciampa really needs the belt involved to work. 

3 minutes ago, maciej said:

I don't think this would be bad or anything, but I don't think Gargano/Ciampa really needs the belt involved to work. 

Yes, but it would save us from more Robert Roode title matches.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, maciej said:

It doesnt need it, no, but any title match on a show with Gargano/Ciampa on it is going to feel completely secondary as long as Roode has the belt.

4 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

In fairness to Roode, he was excellent tonight. Thought he told the story of the match brilliantly with his selling. He's just unfortunate it happened half an hour after the MOTY and half an hour before the angle of the year

The guy fucked up Kentas fucking back kick. I thought Roode was awful tonight.

In all these title matches, Roode is rubbish until the ending, whenever whatever elaborate finish HHH and the agents have ginned up for him kicks in.  The matches just kinda amble along without much direction or heat, except for the babyface pops Roode milks for himself, then, boom, 3/4ths of the way through here's the big injury angle that will ultimately let him win or escape with the belt.  It's every match.

• Like 2

Really enjoyable show with a great UK title match, and a hot angle to close. Man there was some dangerous shit in that ladder match both of DIY nearly died on that double splash. The ladder to Gargano's chin was gross. I know he has his critics, but that was a good performance by Roode against a bland and not very over face. None of the current NXT women including Ember should take the belt off Asuka. Roddy is a better tag worker than a singles guy, but the finish was hot.

Solid show overall.

The opener was much better than I was expecting and did a nice job with the whole "Roddy vs the world" angle.  Even though he isn't the most personality-laden guy in the world he came off like someone important in being able to stave off all of Sanity.  This was also the longest solo match I've seen from Eric Young and he held his own as well.

There's not much else I can say about Bate/Dunne.  Fantastic match and both these guys have nowhere to go but up.  How tall is Bate?  Dude has main event level talent but even in this new era I still think his size might hold him back.

It's hard to judge the women's match coming off that incredibly hot UK title match, but it didn't do a lot for me.  Maybe because the three of them haven't worked eachother that much yet but they didn't seem to have that great of timing or chemistry.  Going in I was hoping Asuka would drop the title because it's time to freshen up the title scene but I don't think anyone else is ready yet.  The women's division has plenty of potential but Asuka holding the belt for a while longer is the best plan for now.

World title match was alright.  I've never been a fan of Roode in the ring but his matches with Nakamura definitely overachieved so I was hoping for signs that those weren't flukes.  While this match told a decent story in terms of body parts both guys were working, it still wasn't anything special.  I was really hoping Itami would get the win here but I guess they're going to keep the title on Roode a little longer.  I am worried where Itami goes from here, as someone else mentioned he really needs a big win to keep from being dead in the water.

The tag match was a lot of fun and several times I was legit worried about the safety of Ciampa and Gargano.  Funny thing is when they started teaming I wasn't all that big a fan as I thought they were better as singles guys, but once their team started to come together I became a fan.  I'm not sure how they would fair either together or separately on the main roster so was hoping they'd finally win the belts tonight.  The match and relationship between the two of them told a teriffic story capped off with Ciampa's turn so I'm looking forward to some vicious matches between the two in the months to come.

Not a fan of Asuka pinning BOTH Storm and Riot to win.  That almost tells you that Ember is really the only person with a legit chance of winning the title which given how good both Ruby and Nikki are that doesn't seem right.

No idea how Gargano doesn't have a concussion.  I mean that ladder shot to the jaw was hard and his neck snapped back quick.  Plus he fell on this head doing that dive on to the ladder

I wonder if we will get the "That match and ending would have been perfect if Ciampa would have turned on Gargano" thing that happened with Owens/Zayn because they thought the show was over when the credits ran and didn't see the turn. :)  Amazing they did the same thing twice and it still worked great.   Of course doing it in Chicago where both guys are loved was perfect timing.   Doing it as Full Sail would have worked but not at the same level

7 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

We better be getting Heavy Machinery vs AOP soon 

There are literally no other face teams left on the roster to face AOP.  So pretty good odds of that, unless they throw together some singles with nothing better to do, like maybe Ohno and Itami or something.

Great show overall. Nothing bad, all good. Great tag title match. Really like this Roderick Strong push and the return of the Strong Breaker.

Ciampa's heel turn was IMMENSE and the audience loathe him now!

Dunne/Bate is MOTY so far. Anywhere.