DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Dominion 2017. Contains Wrestling Dontaku 2017 spoilers.

The Natural

Had to start this thread having woken up to...

IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kenny Omega.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship. Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

I gave both matches the full five * from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11. Anticipation!

Man, those matches have a lot to live up to.  I'm not a big Tanahashi fan, but that was a great match with Naito the first time around.  And I have yet to see a better match this year than Omega vs Okada (though 6 stars from Meltzer was a bit hyperbolic).  

• Like 1

On 07 May 2017 at 2:58 AM, mattdangerously said:

Man, those matches have a lot to live up to.  I'm not a big Tanahashi fan, but that was a great match with Naito the first time around.  And I have yet to see a better match this year than Omega vs Okada (though 6 stars from Meltzer was a bit hyperbolic).

Two best matches of 2017, Okada vs. Omega and Naito vs. Tanahashi in that order. Big pressure following on from them.

• Like 1

Current Announced Match Lineup:

Main Event: IWGP Heavyweight Championship

"Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) (c) vs. "The Cleaner" Kenny Omega (Bullet Club)

Semi-Final: IWGP Intercontinental Championship

Tetsuya Naito (Los Ingobernables de Japon) (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

NEVER Openweight Championship  - Lumberjack Death Match

Minoru Suzuki (Suzuki-gun) (c) vs. Hirooki Goto (CHOAS)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship

Hiromu Takahashi (Los Ingobernables de Japon) (c) vs. KUSHIDA (BOSJ 24 Winner)

"Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. "The American Nightmare" Cody (Bullet Club)

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship 

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) (RoH) (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa) (Bullet Club)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

Rappongi Vice (Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta) (CHAOS) (c) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) (Bullet Club)

NEVER Openweight 6 Man Tag Team Championship Gauntlet Match

Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI) (c) vs. 

Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi, Ricochet & Juice Robinson) vs.

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI) vs.

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Hangman Page) vs.

Suzuki-gun (Zack Sabre Jr, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi)

Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Tiger Mask W & Tiger Mask IV vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Pre-show:

David Finlay, Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino vs. Harai Kawato, Katsuya Kitamura & Tetsuhiro Yagi

That is a brilliant thought. If anyone can make a fucking lumberjack match work, it's him powdering anybody at ringside. And actually the absurdity of the gimmick happening in Japan is fun. Now I want Gedo to book a Bunkhouse Stampede where Bullet Club and Ingobernables get to bring all their shit with them to the ring and use it on each other, so in six months I can hear Jim Ross have an apoplectic fit on commentary. 

• Like 2

The main events look great, but all the gaijin-on-gaijin undercard matches are just...woof.

I don't really have a problem with either team, but I have FAR exceeded the number of times I need to see a Roppongi Vice/Young Bucks match in my life.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, Gedo. You have more love for US wrestling than most of us do

As a wrestler (both in and out of the ring), Lumberjack Matches are either the most fun or the fucking worst. There is no in-between.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who's Arn Anderson in this situation? 

CHAOS Four Horsemen:

Flair = Okada
Arn = Ishii
Tully = Goto
Ole = Yano
JJ = Gedo or YOSHI-HASHI

• Like 2

I like to think there was some epic Bullet Club shmozz booked for the finish, only every single guy missed their cue because they were all in awe of the match itself. 

• Like 2

I wonder if they're considering running Okada/Omega 3 in LA.  That would make a big splash over here, but I don't know how big they view those shows internally, if they think running them like house shows will be good enough.

30 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

So, are we headed towards Omega getting expelled from the Bullet Club, and (formally, as he's basically cheered already) turning face? (Cody challenge, declining the table spot last show...) 

I think we're ending up with an Elite-Bullet Club split, keeping the Bucks and Omega together and making Cody leader of the BC.