DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIII

Dolfan in NYC

As unenthused as I am about Orton holding the top title, I don't see Jinder winning the belt. I think the best he does is scoring some non-title wins on house shows during the India tour.  One one hand it's good to see someone who isn't one of the usual suspects in title contention just to show that, for better or for worse, people do get opportunities on Smackdown who otherwise wouldn't.  The idea of Cena winning the belt again does about as much for me as Orton currently being champ, but if he's only going to hold it from TLC (which is listed as being in December) and drop it to AJ at Mania then I'd be ok with that.

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

And Petrol CB: HHH ordering Samoa Joe to leave flaming bags of dogshit on John Cena's porch would also be "new", doesn't mean that I want to see it.

That would have been at least the third most entertaining thing on Payback. 

• Like 3

Anyway, Orton/Jinder aside, this is a pretty good card. 

AJ/KO

Nakamura debut

Corbin/Zayn

Tag and women's matches will be decent to good (depending on what the women's match ends up being).

Possibly Tye Dillnger on the preshow.

• Like 1

AJ/KO feels like it almost has to main event this show over Orton/Mahal. I mean, it's the two guys who held the top belts for months and carried each brand until the Mania guys came in, and you know it's going to have the hotter crowd.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

AJ/KO feels like it almost has to main event this show over Orton/Mahal. I mean, it's the two guys who held the top belts for months and carried each brand until the Mania guys came in, and you know it's going to have the hotter crowd.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm most interested in this falong with Nakamura's first main roster match and the WWE Smackdown Live Tag Team Titles bout.

Backlash in Chicago will bring the reactions.

Orton vs. Mahal, yeesh/blah.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Orton vs. Mahal, yeesh/blah.

Cue up the CM Punk chants, which are absolutely warranted in this case.

How far from returning is Rusev? Rusev running in and destroying both would instantly make him a Braun-level babyface.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sami Zayn will probably get smashed by Baron Corbin's hands. 

All but certain since the book did not do the right thing and put Baron over Ambrose in their title match.

I'll be there and my boy is coming with me for his first WWE show. 

If they end this show with Orton/Jinder it'll be like Brock/Goldberg at MSG. So I'm kinda hoping that happens.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Jinder Mahal has been pretty awesome the last few weeks, it's one of the matches I'm most interested in because I need this Orton reign to end and end quickly. 

Wishing for a Jinder title reign while Randy is champion is like wishing for cancer instead of AIDS.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Orton is so dry as a Face, he needs to be heel.

I agree in principle, but his last couple heel runs have been fairly forgettable too.  IMO, Randy has been on auto-pilot since Legacy broke up.

I thought Orton's detached lazy "whatever man, they're not gonna fire me" vibe worked well when he was the handpicked champion in the Authority vs Daniel Bryan feud. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I agree in principle, but his last couple heel runs have been fairly forgettable too.  IMO, Randy has been on auto-pilot since Legacy broke up.

One of the main things other wrestlers have said about Randy is he's amazing to work with but imagine if he gave a crap.  I forgot who said it but they said he does just enough to get the job done and that's it.  I like to think he was motivated when against HHH (the one where he DDTed Steph)  That was some damn fine stuff even if the WM match wasn't anything great.  But if he was motivated and had a heel run now I think he'd be pretty great at it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

One of the main things other wrestlers have said about Randy is he's amazing to work with but imagine if he gave a crap.  I forgot who said it but they said he does just enough to get the job done and that's it.  I like to think he was motivated when against HHH (the one where he DDTed Steph)  That was some damn fine stuff even if the WM match wasn't anything great.  But if he was motivated and had a heel run now I think he'd be pretty great at it.

A motivated Randy Orton is a wonderful thing. That's what I find so irritating about the guy, he has the talent to be a consistent top-5 NA worker, and at one time had a lot of pride in his craft. Now? The guy just doesn't give a shit.

• Like 1

To be fair, Orton's best days are probably behind him.  On SDL, he's captaining/mentoring an (essentially) super-young roster.  There's some potential barnburner match ups in there (vs. AJ, vs. KO, vs. Sami).  But with possibly the exception of Styles, none of them are -- HOT TAKE INCOMING -- even close to being on his level. 

His biggest career feud is so burned out that we all cringe when we hear Orton and Cena mentioned in the same sentence.  He's never really going to have more than that in his wrestling career, unless something is radically altered. And frankly, there doesn't seem to be the crossover appeal that catapulted the Rock, Batista, and now Cena, out.  

I want him motivated, but aside from paychecks, there's really no worlds left for Randy to conquer.  13 time World champ, no questions asked HOF, main evented Mania, two Rumble wins.  Honestly, I get why he seems bored. 

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Randy is WWE's Peter Gibbons. He's also got some Milton in him since we've seen him set the building on fire. I wouldn't put it past Randy to put strychnine in the guacamole.

• Like 4

So if Randy went on the Indy circuit and teamed with Cody would that make Cody, Lawerance and be the equivalent to the end of Office Space where Peter is working construction with Lawerance and finally happy. Or are Cody and Ted, Michael and Samir and Bastista is Lawerence? 

• Like 1

Man, fuck anybody chanting for CM Punk.  What was that guy's gimmick?  Agent of change?  Jinder Mahal in the main event is different.  Sure different isn't always good but people would still be complaining if it were Orton vs. Cena in the main event instead.  The Bollywood Boys being added to the act seems like an excuse to have Orton deliver multiple RKOs out of nowhere.  Too soon to take the title off Orton when a Styles match is still on the table.

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be fair, Orton's best days are probably behind him.  On SDL, he's captaining/mentoring an (essentially) super-young roster.

Whaaaat? AJ, Nakamura, Nakamura, Ziggler, the Usos, the Colons, KO, Zayn, Harper, New Day. Even relative newcomers like Corbin and Rusev are in their 30s. Even the women on the show are all 29 or older.