DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIII

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Nashville Preds win Stanley Cup. Preds #1 super fan Rusev is invited as a guest to the parade and/or gets to pose with the cup.

Mainstream/outside the wrestling bubble exposure, (somewhat), someone tells Vince Rusev is trending, boom, face turn and hot comeback.

Give him a hockey stick to bring to the ring too, it'll be like Duggan's 2x4.

USA! USA!

and Lana in a red, white, and blue bikini

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Victator said:

This is wrong. 

Tell me some things he was shitty at. My guess is you don't like things he has done personally, come from a bygone era of "Why he is over six feet tall, he must be bad!!" or a combination of both. 

I found Bradshaw, going back to when I first saw him in 1996, to be a good brawler with good timing and his stuff looked good. He could cut a decent promo too, but as JBL he would wear out his welcome. But that is ever WWE heel going back to 1999. 

JBL is a crappy person, but that doesn't make him a bad wrestler. 

Name a memorable Bradshaw match before he fought Eddy. Just one. You can't.

The reason the Jinder deal doesn't upset me is because I like when a promotion goes all-in on someone. I hate wishy washy booking and trying to please everyone. Whether this Jinder thing works or not, I appreciate them putting all their effort into it. At worst they'll pull the plug in a few weeks and someone like AJ or Nakamura will get a huge pop for defeating him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beech27 said:

My pet-peeve regarding "I was watching with my friend/significant other who conveniently supports the point I wanted to make anyway" anecdotes aside: What evidence do we have that Jinder has "it", or is any kind of a draw? The title run may prove that he is, but he's not been the top guy in any promotion, or on any show before. We really have no clue if this will work. 

I don't think Jinder Mahal is going to draw but what we do know is that on the other side Rollins and Reigns and Balor and Wyatt and everyone else on RAW isn't drawing. SDL is staying around the same in viewers as it always has and RAW is still on a massive decline.  I think SDL is probably at about the floor because there are probably 2.5 million people who will watch live every week no matter what.  But RAW is rapidly approaching that number as well.  My point is basically that outside of Cena and a certain few guys who are selling merchandise, nobody is a star.  Booking is awful. At least Jinder Mahal has been booked well so far but they'll screw that up too. 

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Name a memorable Bradshaw match before he fought Eddy. Just one. You can't.

vs Undertaker at the Raw after Wrestlemania.

Acolytes vs Hardyz and Michael PZ Hayes

vs Blue Meanis on a 2005 Smackdown

vs Undertaker on a 2005 Smackdown

That is just a sampling. I limited Acolyte matches to one. Because there were others I could go to. 

On 22/05/2017 at 10:00 PM, Marty Sugar said:

It was less about Eddy's size and more than he couldn't handle the pressure of being WWE Champion. It stressed him the fuck out.

On 22/05/2017 at 10:18 PM, Brian Fowler said:

IIRC, Eddy asked them to take the belt off him.

Yep. Eddie Guerrero felt more ready when he was to win the World Heavyweight Championship from Batista before he passed.

On 22/05/2017 at 11:29 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, Nak has only had a handful of good matches since the Zayn classic in his debut in NXT. The Aries match was good but nothing special, ditto the Joe matches. The two with Roode were (extremely divisive around here opinion incoming) great but not that much better than every other Roode match on Takeovers. 

He's capable of great, but he's not exactly been batting 1.000. And that's before the whole "Dolph Ziggler" factor or the other whole "Jesus Christ the lay out of the match was terrible all around" thing. 

Basically, he's existing on his (off the charts great) persona and charisma, and on his reputation, more than his actual work. I expect he'll deliver big time with AJ and Cena eventually. But for now....

I agree with this. Awesome match in Nak' vs. Sami, Joe vs. Shinsuke was lacking, I'm with Brian on the Roode series.

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm surprised people keep missing the exact problem with Jinder. First, I don't think the obvious roid usage is part of the problem. I think the bigger issues are these:

• He's poor to mediocre in the ring. Yes, you don't have to be a workrate or psychology master to be worthy of the top championship, but it helps. Being somewhat proficient in the ring helps engage the audience a little more than they'd normally be. Jinder doesn't have that sort of connection. Not right now anyway.
  • He's really not interesting on the mic and there's nothing that sets him apart from anyone else from a spectacle aspect. WWE is littered with guys who aren't good on the mic, but again, if you suck in the ring, working the stick helps make up for that. If you can't do either of those things, then if there's something special about you that really makes you stick out, like Great Khali's look, then you have a better reason for being at that championship level.
  • Finally, and this I feel is the biggest reason, he was treated as a total jobber up until the draft. If Jinder was brought back, started winning, and started winning because he wasn't as focused on being a wrestler before and that's all he's focused on now, then fine. Cool. He could build up a streak of wins and then he's good to go. Instead, he was brought back as a jobber. Then he gets drafted to SDL and he's still regarded as a jobber until he wins that 6 pack challenge to determine the #1 contender. Going from worst to first is fine when you're a professional sports team, you have an offseason to complete your rebuild, and then you come back better than ever. In any other sport where you're just representing yourself, you don't go from losing a shitload of matches to being a contender. Not in UFC. Not in tennis. And it shouldn't happen in pro wrestling. WWE isn't a sport, but it wants to make the audience believe that whoever is contending for a championship has a reason to be there. With Jinder, he never built anything close to a resume to make him look like a credible contender. It's the fakest fucking thing ever in entertainment predicated on being fake and pre-determined.

And I'll repeat this to make this clear, I have no problem with Jinder being where he's at now if he's brought back and used differently. If his build up to this point is different and he's not a complete jobber, then I don't have a problem with rolling the dice with this guy. I wouldn't have that much of a problem with making no changes to how he was brought back and him winning a secondary title. What did happen was too much way too soon. If anything, it should be a good reason why Vince shouldn't bring dudes back and treat them like total jobbers. A little bit goes a long way. Hell, all Jinder needed to do was quietly win his matches each week since returning, bitch about how he doesn't get any respect or attention, get drafted to SDL, point out that all he's done is win since coming back and he deserves an opportunity in the land of opportunity. Boom. Done. Instead Jinder complained about that without doing anything to back those demands up. 

Great post.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/did-jinder-mahals-push-lead-to-wwe-backlash-2017-ticket-sales-stalling

Backlash 2017 draws poorly in buys and ticket sales. Smackdown TV ratings down. Only thing I'm surprised about is Chcago, as it's the best city in wrestling IMO.

Wonder if this will extend to house shows? I'd still rather see the RAW roster live even though Smackdown Live's the better show.

6 hours ago, Victator said:

vs Undertaker at the Raw after Wrestlemania.

Acolytes vs Hardyz and Michael PZ Hayes

vs Blue Meanis on a 2005 Smackdown

vs Undertaker on a 2005 Smackdown

That is just a sampling. I limited Acolyte matches to one. Because there were others I could go to. 

Sure there were. I guess we have a different definition of "memorable" - note that the funny part about Lacelle and Sweetser's examples is that no one remembers those matches because of Bradshaw's work - any other worker on the roster could have been in his place.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Don't call me a liar. I named matches that w=I found memorable and like a lot of "people" around here you were not man enough to admit you were wrong. Instead you move goal post.

Take your pill, buddy. Opinions aren't right or wrong.

Rusev then feuds with Owens who insists that Canadian Hockey is better than American Hockey.

As for memorable Bradshaw matches, because of the finish:

And if you're thinking this is an excuse to post something involving Mighty Molly Holly, you might be right.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Take your pill, buddy. Opinions aren't right or wrong.

You said memorable. It would be an opinion if I said they were memorable to everyone, but if I say they were memorable to me, well that's a fact. 

Now I think there is a very good chance the matches I listed were more memorable than the Brawl For All final or that mixed tag match. 

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Now I think there is a very good chance the matches I listed were more memorable than the Brawl For All final or that mixed tag match. 

Well now you're just fucking with us.