DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIII

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

I liked the Owens/Styles countout finish, TBH. Like @jaedmc mentioned with Mahal sitting on the chinlock to get heat, Owens winning so cheaply gets him serious heat...and continues this feud. I like when the WWE remembers their secondary titles and puts top guys in serious feuds over them. While I enjoyed the false finishes in the tag title match, I felt the comedy affected the overall pacing; once they went into the final stretch, though, the match was solid. I appreciate that Tyler Breeze is willing to do anything and everything to get over...but I fear this comedy stuff won't do him any favors in the end.

One of my favorite things on the show, was Ellsworth skipping to the ring with that shit-eating grin on his face. Talk about "happy to be here."

I forgot to mention that Owens thing. Crowd booed their ass off.

Here's a thought. I'm not sure if Owens getting the count out win gets Owens heat. I feel like we're in that inbred smark state where Owens winning via countout it a "fuck Vince/WWE" deal, and Jinder sitting on a chin lock is a "Fuck Jinder why won't he do cool flipz and shit." deal. It's all very meta and dumb and I don't know if that's how it actual is, but that's how it felt when the show was over. Then again, Roman gets booed for going over, despite being awesome, and Vince gets "Thank you Vince" chants for making the show everyone shits on, despite being a total turd of a human being.... so maybe I'm giving other fans too much credit.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I forgot to mention that Owens thing. Crowd booed their ass off.

Here's a thought. I'm not sure if Owens getting the count out win gets Owens heat. I feel like we're in that inbred smark state where Owens winning via countout it a "fuck Vince/WWE" deal, and Jinder sitting on a chin lock is a "Fuck Jinder why won't he do cool flipz and shit." deal. It's all very meta and dumb and I don't know if that's how it actual is, but that's how it felt when the show was over. Then again, Roman gets booed for going over, despite being awesome, and Vince gets "Thank you Vince" chants for making the show everyone shits on, despite being a total turd of a human being.... so maybe I'm giving other fans too much credit.

Jinder's just an uninteresting in-ring guy in my opinion. After he threw Orton into the LED display to hurt Orton's shoulder, he followed it up with some half-assed submission that looked like crap. And that's all he did to work on the shoulder for a while. I'm not asking for the guy to get into Seth Rollins MOVEZ territory but for Jeebus' sake, do something. Do an Anderson hammerlock slam, put him in a Rings of Saturn like hold, even that hold he had on just crank on it or something to make it look like he was trying to punish Orton.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm not asking for the guy to get into Seth Rollins MOVEZ territory but for Jeebus' sake, do something.

I was really hoping Randy retained, if only to lose to a returning Rusev at MITB. I think the Maharaja character and his stable have potential...but the whole thing needs work.

• Like 4

At the same time, isn't appreciating a count out finish because of how it was setup and the logic behind it just as much of a "smark" criticism? The negative reaction to a count out finish now is the same as it was a decade ago, which is the same as it was a decade before that; it's disappointing. You watch a match to see a finish and when you watch a match between two great wrestlers then you really want to see a finish to that and not something anti-climactic. That type of reaction to something anti-climactic isn't a smark thing, it's just how people react to that flat of an ending in many forms of entertainment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

There was this guy named Eddie who had to get juiced to the gills to win a title too, people round these parts put him on a pedestal. 

This is not untrue. Hell, Eddy had bacne nearly as bad.

But he was also the greatest wrestler of all-time, so yeah. Jindher, well... He's not.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is not untrue. Hell, Eddy had bacne nearly as bad.

But he was also the greatest wrestler of all-time, so yeah. Jindher, well... He's not.

Right, but he didn't get the push until he was a Roidy McGoo. This is the WWE after all. 

• Like 1

Nah.....Eddy was doing roids all the way back to WCW.  He was just doing them with tons of other drugs and not eating properly, so he looked lean and ripped.  Once WWE put him through rehab a bunch of times and taught him to eat properly, the roids started paying off and he put on a ton of size.  That's when he got the title, and he was still too small so they took it off him and put it on that fat ass fuck JBL.  Imagine that.  Your in a business that puts so much stress on being big, and having a good body.  You destroy yourself to look the part, then you are replaced by a guy who looks like a fat piece of shit.   So sad.

22 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Nah.....Eddy was doing roids all the way back to WCW.  He was just doing them with tons of other drugs and not eating properly, so he looked lean and ripped.  Once WWE put him through rehab a bunch of times and taught him to eat properly, the roids started paying off and he put on a ton of size.  That's when he got the title, and he was still too small so they took it off him and put it on that fat ass fuck JBL.  Imagine that.  Your in a business that puts so much stress on being big, and having a good body.  You destroy yourself to look the part, then you are replaced by a guy who looks like a fat piece of shit.   So sad.

It was less about Eddy's size and more than he couldn't handle the pressure of being WWE Champion. It stressed him the fuck out.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, EVA said:

I'd wager he was too busy shouting at the announce team to say THE MODERN DAY MAHARAJAH a hundred times to laugh.

SAY IT GODDAMMIT.

It would be worse if Michael Cole was on SD also. MODERN DAY MAHARAJAH, MAGGLE!

That's quite a bit of alliteration.

Decent show overall. Jinder winning was a real shocker, especially off one finisher without even a near fall there. Feels like Jinder got the best of Orton at every turn in the feud so I figured Orton would retain for sure and was looking forward to Orton defending against a variety of opponents.  I dig the surprise factor though even if it does feel ridiculous for this to have been Jinder's third PPV match. Becky tapping out again was weak. Enjoyed Owens/AJ while it lasted. the Usos tag was pretty great and I liked Nakamura/Ziggler

I'm enjoying Alvarez and the like "Nakamura is curtain jerking!" I mean, really?  It was supposed to get the crowd hyped right off the bat. It was Ziggler getting in so much offense that was the issue.  

Also, for the "AJ should be champion" crowd, it's May.  We should all know by now this is the time of year where they will try different things.  AJ will be in SDL's part of the SummerSlam main event.  Plus, it's not like he's getting buried out there. He's in the hottest feud on the show with Owens. 

Ziggler might be the worst guy on the roster right now because he doesn't even fucking try to play his role.  He worked this entire match with Nakamura as a babyface... for some reason and whenever he shows up on Talking Smack he never once tries to get over his heel persona. He just talks about bullshit and insider shit.  He needs to go the fuck away. 

• Like 6

Honestly, Nak has only had a handful of good matches since the Zayn classic in his debut in NXT. The Aries match was good but nothing special, ditto the Joe matches. The two with Roode were (extremely divisive around here opinion incoming) great but not that much better than every other Roode match on Takeovers. 

He's capable of great, but he's not exactly been batting 1.000. And that's before the whole "Dolph Ziggler" factor or the other whole "Jesus Christ the lay out of the match was terrible all around" thing. 

Basically, he's existing on his (off the charts great) persona and charisma, and on his reputation, more than his actual work. I expect he'll deliver big time with AJ and Cena eventually. But for now....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

It was less about Eddy's size and more than he couldn't handle the pressure of being WWE Champion. It stressed him the fuck out.

Hardcore Holly talked about it in his book. He said it was tough to watch Eddy at that point. He (Eddy) would basically get to the arena, lay on the trainer's table for hours before the show, get up and have an energy drink, go out and put on the best match of the night without the fans knowing how much pain he was in and then drag himself through the curtain and lay on the trainer's table for a while longer before going back to the hotel or whatever. He asked for time off once they took the title off of him and then they immediately threw him into a program with Kurt Angle. To quote Holly, "a wrestling program with Kurt Angle is not a break."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Honestly, Nak has only had a handful of good matches since the Zayn classic in his debut in NXT. The Aries match was good but nothing special, ditto the Joe matches. The two with Roode were (extremely divisive around here opinion incoming) great but not that much better than every other Roode match on Takeovers. 

He's capable of great, but he's not exactly been batting 1.000. And that's before the whole "Dolph Ziggler" factor or the other whole "Jesus Christ the lay out of the match was terrible all around" thing. 

Basically, he's existing on his (off the charts great) persona and charisma, and on his reputation, more than his actual work. I expect he'll deliver big time with AJ and Cena eventually. But for now....

I think you're being kind there.

I don't think I've enjoyed a match of his since he's come to WWE (admittedly may need to rewatch vs Zayn). He's well and truly into that Dean Ambrose model of getting your shit in, meandering around, wacky/crazy faces, more signature spots, the end. One thing to judge him on being able to get over like no other Japanese wrestler has been able to get past the language barrier on physical charisma alone, another on being a capable story teller, and without that above model, he does not.