DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIII

Dolfan in NYC

Fuck Randy Orton.

I think it is awesome that Jinder's finisher, Khallas, literally translated from standard Hindi means "finish" or "ending."

And damn.  I love the Usos, but I really was hoping that the book would put the tag straps on the Fashion Police. 

Missed opportunity...

Poor Baron Corbin...  I know that Sami desperately needed a big win but Holy Shit, Baron is what... 0 for the century in PPVs?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Someone already mentioned this earlier in thread. It was multiple screw ups adding up. The one with Orton was just the last. And it was supposedly Orton and several other main eventers who made the complaint. Cena was supposedly one of them. I think Taker might have been another.

I remember reading that Batista didn't really like working with Kennedy b/c he would always flail around whenever he went up for powerbombs and moves like that. Kennedy's reasoning was that it made it look more realistic b/c if you'd naturally try to fight out of moves like that but the counter argument is that it makes it harder for the guy who's doing the move to you to not drop you on your goddamn head b/c you're squirming around so much.

Did anyone note that per JBL's comment immediately after the dress hit him, "The last time that happened to me I paid for it", and then when it was replayed again at the end of the match, "The last time that happened to me it was also a guy."?

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Yeah, the Randy Orton hate is insane here. He didn't intentionally try to injure the Singhs just because you don't like him as a wrestler. Get a grip. If Nak had been delivering that suplex, there wouldn't be a single poster on here calling him reckless. The face in the gifs looks to me like legitimate concern turning quickly to "oh shit the camera is pointed right at my face and I have to kayfabe." Also, looks like Singh #2 rotated into a backflip when he could've just taken the back suplex bump. But Fuck Randy Orton, right?

Disagreed on all your points. If Nakamura had done that to Ziggler and dropped him that dangerously, I'd have been equally as pissed. Professional Wrestling is about entrusting your body to a person and not getting killed. Mistakes can happen, but Randy recklessly threw two young guys much smaller than him, and thought it was funny...there was not concern on his face, it was "oh well, killed a few rookies."

• Like 4

I took that as JBL referring to watching that clip as it just happened and noting that a guy did that to him, ie whichever Uso threw the dress.

I don't know what to make of this show, but I think the bigger takeaway was that a PPV at the AllState Arena didn't sell out. In fact, neither show sold the arena out. That's troubling. It's not that big of an arena, it's Chicago, and they were both PPVs. If you wanted a canary in the coal mine comparison, this may have been it. When you can't sell out Chicago, there's problems.

I know there are some people who think this Jinder push is so cool, but objectively and creatively, it's hot garbage. He was a fucking jobber who returned as a roided up monster. There's a picture of him from 2016 where he's slim and looks a little SAWFT and now he looks chiseled out of stone. What's worse is, again, he was a jobber up until two months ago. He went from 0 to 11 and other more established and talented characters can't get half  of Jinder's push all because WWE wants to be more established in India. And look, if that's the goal, then fine, but don't have him go from jobber to this instant push. It makes it look like SDL is total dogshit that a jobber could come in and win the title when he couldn't even buy a win on Raw. If his push was gradual, or even if he started out by winning the US title, I think it would be easier to stomach. As it is, it's just very insulting. People will point to this as WWE pushing new blood, but that's not the point. The point is to push actual talented wrestlers who have been busting their ass instead of sticking needles in it. 

I don't even know if it's worth commenting on the rest of this show. Chicago isn't my hometown, but it feels like my home away from home and I consider it the best wrestling town and best city in the world. It sucks to see fan interest down to the point where the show doesn't even sell out and the booking for a main roster PPV  has Nakamura selling for Ziggler for more than 80% of the match, a goofy comedy tag match, a 6 woman tag match that belonged on SDL, a US title match between KO and AJ that ended in a count out, a forgettable Sami Zayn/Corbin match, and a WWE Title match that ended with putting the title on Jinder. The last show I went to in Chicago was the Payback with the Evolution vs Shield main event that went on at the same time as Game 7 of the Blackhawks/Kings. It was a packed house regardless of the bigger sporting event for the city and the show was leaps and bounds better than what I watched last night. WWE can do better than this. I really want them to do better than this.

• Like 4

Maybe Bray Wyatt should've asked for a title rematch instead of a play date at his West Coast shack.  Like why did Owens get a rematch with Jericho for the US Title when the first match specifically stipulated that the loser had to stay on Raw?

I feel like the sudden Mahal push is more of a reaction to Impact going to India this month rather than WWE going later this year.  After all, Impact's got India's greatest action star, Scott Steiner.  Also, the Shiras getting a name change to Singh cause Impact's got a Shera.

And guys, Mahal was the 'fun' one in 3MB.  Not the 'funny' one.  There's a difference.  Like Orton dumping the Singhs on their heads is funny but not necessarily fun.  It's important to note the difference.  Like when you get that text that says, "Netflix and chill? dtf" and you think "Down to funny? Yes, I am down for a funny movie" and you get over there and she doesn't even have Netflix, she's got Amazon Prime and there's no chilling just a lot of sweating and she's got a poem about butterflies tattooed on her rib cage but you can't see it clearly cause you wore glasses instead of contacts thinking you were just going to watch a movie and you can't see in the dark without them so 'butterflies' looks kinda like 'battered fish' and then your stomach starts growling cause you didn't even get any popcorn.  Words are important.  And now you know.

• Like 8

JAE'S SMACKLASH LIVE EVENT REPORT

Before the first match some one handed out print outs of 10's for Tye Dillinger. No one used them because we have 10 fucking fingers. Save a tree.

Aiden English was great at getting heat before the match. He was probably the only legit heel on the show, and this was THE ONLY match in which the crowd was 100% with the face and totally hated the heel. Tye Dillinger isn't that hot beyond the 10 gimmick. Aiden English is one of the few guys that was good Live. Lots of good TV wrestlers I found out weren't that good live. Like most of the roster actually.

I knew as soon as they went with Shinsuke/Ziggler to open, that the night was not going to go well.

Shinsuke's Entrance is SUPER OVER. Shinsuke the wrestler....maybe not as much. Lots of let's go Ziggler, Ziggler sucks.

I embarrassed my son when I yelled KNEE HIM UNTIL HE'S DEAD. I told him to get in the fucking game or go home.

USOS/Fashion Clowns was probably the most fun anyone had all night and the show maybe peaked here. I thought the match was fine because the Breeze would do comedy and then an Uso would kick the fuck out of him. Hated the finish because Fandango hit a dope dive and the Uso's basically no sold it to quickly do the finish.

There were lots of Fire Bradshaw chants before the show, so when that dress hit him the crowd went fucking nuts. May have been Pop of the Night. 

There was a 5 year old in front of us who would chant throughout the entire matches. Long after people had stopped he'd keep going and I felt bad for the youg man who's ears were 6 inches in front of this kid. Sometimes the dad would just shove popcorn in the kid's mouth to give us a reprieve. During the Uso's match he'd yell "BREEZANGO GOING TO GIVE YOU YOUR OWN MEDICINE." over and over.

ZAYN/CORBIN was probably the last good match. Probably the best match. Again lots of Let's Go SAmi/Let's go Corbin chants. Like Shinsuke, Zayn's Entrance is more over than he is. This is the first time I've seen Zayn live in a big arena, everything before was in a small building when he was Generico. He's just as good live now as he was then. The back selling was the clear and hinted at early enough for people realize it without being over the top. Corbin rolling out and rolling in for that clothesline was the coolest shit. 

Charlotte is more over than most of the guys. Any time her face showed up on the Titan Tron people would flip out. I don't know how it played out on TV but the finish sucked because EVERYONE could clearly see Charlotte just watching the finish, and then conveniently rolling in after the tap out. I hope that's how they played it on TV because I was expecting her to turn on Becky. NAOMI's entrance is fucking HYPE. NAOMI the wrestler is not nearly as good and that made me sad. Some of her stuff just looked plain bad. Natalya running on her back was dope. Becky Lynch is cool fucking beans, and had everyone with her by the end.

AJ STYLES is easily the most loved guy on the roster. So many people would chant "...the house that AJ Styles BUILT" every time they ran a promo with him saying it. So much so that it actually frightened me how easily conditioned wrestling fans are to chanting and repeating shit. 

This match had everyone active. I'm not a big AJ fan but he's one of the handful that was really good live. He plays to the back really well. Kevin Owens is more of a first few rows guy. I was shocked how once he got in the ring he kind of shrunk.

The count out finish was fucking AWFUL. People were so pissed that there was no way Harper/Rowan could over come it. Their match was straight up booed and called boring by a lot people. 

Up until the Main Event there were lots of people shitting on Orton, once he came out people freaked the fuck out. I know he's not putting in his best work, but honestly he looks like he's on a different level than nearly everyone else on the roster. Everything he does is so clear. He just looks like a capital "w" Wrestler. A lot of other guys look like guys playing dress-up, even some that I actually enjoy otherwise. I mean people I heard hoping that he'd lose got one over in the first minute by him.

The opening was great because it felt like they wanted to make it up to everyone that AJ/Owens ended in a shit count out. The Two Christmas Elves that came out with Jinder got booed every time they did shit. Orton nearly killing on of them on the table was hands down my favorite moment of the whole fucking night.

Jinder looks like a FREAK live.  I can see why he's getting a push because he looks like he belongs with the guys from the 80's. He was getting a lot of cheers until he settled on that fucking chin lock. I LOVED IT. Because he sat in it until they booed. And they booed hard. And then he sat in it some more. So many pro-Jinder people in my section were like fuck this guy, and that made me respect his choices more.

Lots of people shook there heads when he won. Not because they didn't want to see the title change or whatever, but because the show fucking stunk. After Zayn won they pretty much settled on kicking us in the nuts the rest of the night, and I think people were wanting a little more drama in the main event. It was an okay match, but I think if Orton kicked out and they did a little more before the loss it would have been much better.

My son was pissed. The whole last half was just so disappointing. For his first WWE show, I think he'd rather stick with CHIKARA.

Best Wrestlers For a Live Audience

1. Orton

2. Zayn

3. Styles

4. Aiden English

5. Fandango.

6. Usos.

7. Tyler  Breeze's Mop

• Like 13

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I embarrassed my son when I yelled KNEE HIM UNTIL HE'S DEAD. I told him to get in the fucking game or go home.

Huge parenting win here.

I knew I had properly raised my daughter when at the tender age of seven, she would mercilessly berate an NWA Virginia official for heel chicanery resulting in a win for evil.

There is nothing that sounds more like music to your ears than your kid 100% kayfabe yelling, "THAT REF IS BLIND, DAD~!!!" after a wrestling match. 

SHE BELIEVES~!!

Hopefully Scotty Blaze and Frank "The Tank" Parker did not take my child's "YOU GUYS SUCK~!!" chants personally.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, BEN! said:

Maybe Bray Wyatt should've asked for a title rematch instead of a play date at his West Coast shack.  Like why did Owens get a rematch with Jericho for the US Title when the first match specifically stipulated that the loser had to stay on Raw?

Don't play WWE continuity/logic gap game. It's not healthy.

• Like 2

I liked the Owens/Styles countout finish, TBH. Like @jaedmc mentioned with Mahal sitting on the chinlock to get heat, Owens winning so cheaply gets him serious heat...and continues this feud. I like when the WWE remembers their secondary titles and puts top guys in serious feuds over them. While I enjoyed the false finishes in the tag title match, I felt the comedy affected the overall pacing; once they went into the final stretch, though, the match was solid. I appreciate that Tyler Breeze is willing to do anything and everything to get over...but I fear this comedy stuff won't do him any favors in the end.

One of my favorite things on the show, was Ellsworth skipping to the ring with that shit-eating grin on his face. Talk about "happy to be here."

• Like 1

The Owens/Styles ending: The results I read had a blurb that the match could've been better if it had a real ending.  But I get the impression that the ending was no less "real" than, say, Neville/Aries at the last PPV, or even that of Angle/Alliance Austin back in '01.  People seem to forget what wrestling is about, sometimes.

And also, fuck Randy Orton.

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Mistakes can happen, but Randy recklessly threw two young guys much smaller than him, and thought it was funny...there was not concern on his face, it was "oh well, killed a few rookies."

I mean, you're saying "I can tell what Randy was thinking and decided he is an intentionally reckless wrestler based entirely on the look on his face," so you're going to have to forgive me if I don't join in and call for his head solely based on that.

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

I mean, you're saying "I can tell what Randy was thinking and decided he is an intentionally reckless wrestler based entirely on the look on his face," so you're going to have to forgive me if I don't join in and call for his head solely based on that.

You claimed to know what he was thinking based off the look on his face, too. We're both entitled to our opinion, last time I checked. We need you and a few others to at least attempt some sanity when the mob with pitchforks comes for Orton...

• Like 2

Yeaaaah...Marty brings up a good point. You can't call someone out for saying what someone is thinking based on the look on their face if you're doing something similar. To me, it looked like the face you make when you go too far and fuck up, like, "Eeeeee, glad that didn't go worse..." If someone sees that differently though, then so be it. As for the reckless part of it, I don't know. It takes two to do this shit and maybe the Singh brother Randy threw got a little too much out of the jump. That, combined with Randy being pretty strong and throwing a lightweight guy makes for what we saw. Just be glad it didn't go worse?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It takes two to do this shit and maybe the Singh brother Randy threw got a little too much out of the jump. That, combined with Randy being pretty strong and throwing a lightweight guy makes for what we saw. Just be glad it didn't go worse?

That is what I thought happened. Randy is normally doing this to guys around his weight or heavier. The Singh brothers might be the lightest guys he has done that to.

• Like 2

Even Rey weighed more than them. Plus, it's not like Randy is a very dangerous worker. Hell, he gets criticized more for always playing it safe and keeping his intensity low than he does for hurting people. 

Tyler also flashed Uce and superkicked (or dropkicked?) him while he was stunned. Despite that being a total throw away comedy match, the Fashion Police, mainly Tyler, worked in some pretty clever and funny spots.

• Like 3

The wrestling geeks here at my office have determined that Jinder needs ring entrance attire resembling Lord Shiva's battle armor from Baahubali 2.

28-1493327302-baahubali-2-review-tamil-3

and he needs to start billing himself as the Avatar of Excellence.

• Like 3

I enjoyed this ppv. I'm not big on Mahal winning, but it might be interesting. The main reason I'm popping in here, though, is because all of this Orton hate is so cathartic. I feel like I've been waiting for this thread since Evolution started.