DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XIII

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

HOW ANGRY I FEEL ABOUT RANDY ORTON NEARLY KILLING SOMEONE MUST BE LINKED TO HOW I FEEL ABOUT HIM AS A PERFORMER. 

That time Joe nearly made a quadriplegic out of Tyson Kidd was WWE's fault for holding him down. The dozens of botched Styles clashes? The other guys fault for not knowing how to land. Lesnar never protecting guys on suplexes? Lesnar never does chinlocks....

Wow, that post is so shitty, it could become WWE Champion.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Have Rusev and Lana embrace America and start up the Lex Express for them. 

They do still have those sweet Daisy Dukes they both rocked for their wedding invitations photos and Rusev could start using the Torture Rack.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah, he knew it. 

Zj3r35u.gif

Yes, this is the .gif I was looking for. So much reusability... Too bad one of the Bollywood Boyz had to die for it.

I thought the show was fine overall. Dolph making Nakamura work a Dolph match was a waste, but Nak was very over so hopefully he'll be onto bigger and better things. Fashion Police/Usos was great. Perfect balance of letting Breeze and Fandango get some shine without making the Usos look too weak. That might have been my favorite match of the night. Sami brought the great selling as always and it was a nice surprise to see him win. KO/AJ started slow, but it picked up to the level you'd expect by the end. Solid cliffhanger finish too. The women's match and Harper/Rowan were both kinda bad. The main event was what it was. Jinder is way too limited to ever have a high end match, but Orton seemed fired up (much to the detriment of the aforementioned Bollywood Boy) and the finish still had the desired shock factor.

And whoever laid out Nakamura vs Ziggler must've been the same guy that laid out Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs Berlyn. What a boring anti-showcase of a star that stupid match was. Everyone who told me Dolph was the perfect guy to put over Nakamura's offense, go take a table back suplex from Randy Orton now.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Those suplexes Orton did to the Singhs were about ten million times worse than the one Kennedy got fired for. Holy Kobashi taking a backdrop Driver, Batman.

Yep. The Mr. Kennedy one:

mr-kennedy-botch-back-suplex-randy-orton

I still wish that WrestleMania 30 table spot never happened.  It looked absolutely awful.  You would think Orton would have the common sense to move that monitor instead of taking the full force of that monitor on his back.

I'm fine with Jinder Mahal winning.  I don't get this intense hatred for him, other than the fact that he was basically jobber-ville for a while.  Orton was a terrible champion and hasn't been relevant in years.  He's been doing his worst work in years, even worse than he was the blue chipper legacy young guy rookie.  At least Jinder is something different.  His winning the Rumble was awful, and his WrestleMania title match was equally awful.  Among the top five worst Wrestlemania world  title matches ever.  

Nakamura sold way too much offense for Dolph Ziggler.  Match should've been about five minutes shorter and should've been Nakamura looking like a beast, and Ziggler just not knowing how to deal with such a dynamic fighter.  Instead, Ziggler dominated more than half the match.  The guy who laid this match should should be fired.

Did anyone else notice AJ Styles putting a strap around his foot at the end of his match to "get stuck"? Every replay made sure to show it clearly. Every bit as obvious if not more than the referee handing Reigns the fake blood packet after the Strowman match.

Oh, uh... Backlash was far lesser than Takeover Chicago. Expected. Still an okay show. Wish Breezango would have won. Disappointing "even" match for Nakamura, who should have wiped Ziggler out in half that time or less. Still baffled by the Jinder thing. He was losing every match just a few months ago. When was the last time a jobber skipped over any main eventer build-up instantly to become the world champion like this? I seriously can't remember.

Pretty by the numbers show outside of the main event, which was sneaky good. The ending stretch was a blast and I wasn't sure if they were really going to pull the trigger. The tension in the arena was noticeably audible and then the post-match reactions were priceless. I could practically hear Vince cackling.

Yeah, I think at this point we should just accept that anytime Orton is by a table something bad will happen to someone.  In addition to all those above ones I think the one time Seth curbstomped him on the table he happened to land face-first on like a pen.  Orton is a bit... let's say dry as a wrestler but is generally more than safe, he just has some sort of table-based curse.

Also worth remembering is that Kennedy's suplex on him was not a one-time deal that resulted in him being fired out of the blue.  He'd already been blamed for hurting Cena, bothered a bunch of opponents with his "flail my arms whenever you try to pick me up" deal, and dropped Orton on his shoulder he just got back from injury on.  Add in his horrifically timed wellness violation and a few other minor things and he was not long for the WWE world.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Pretty by the numbers show outside of the main event, which was sneaky good. The ending stretch was a blast and I wasn't sure if they were really going to pull the trigger. The tension in the arena was noticeably audible and then the post-match reactions were priceless. I could practically hear Vince cackling.

I'd wager he was too busy shouting at the announce team to say THE MODERN DAY MAHARAJAH a hundred times to laugh.

SAY IT GODDAMMIT.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

Here's the Indian announce team marking the fuck out:

https://streamable.com/72790

You know what, I'm not of Indian descent whatsoever, but I have a pretty big smile on my face thinking of all the little kids of Indian descent going to bed tonight going "Wow...I could be WWE champion one day!"  It's pretty awesome, really.

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

And that answers the previous question; JBL is the answer.  He wasn't doing much of anything before his big singles title run.  This whole push reminds me of JBL and that's not a bad thing, I liked that run. 

JBL was at least a former multi time tag team champion and had a couple secondary titles. Jinder was a full on jobber with about as many tv wins in the last five years as Roman has clean losses.