DVDVR Message Board

El Dandy, Magico y Super Astro vs. Gran Cochise, Javier Cruz y Javier Rocca (11/11/87)

Phil Schneider

• 1 month later...

Now this was a good clean fight; and a damn good one.  They worked it technical all three falls and always extended courtesies and displays of sportsmanship.  Well, aside from Dandy and Rocca, whose tempers would continually flare against each other.  So much great stuff here: Cochisse and Astro work a lovely opening segment on the mat, Astro in general is at his spectacular best here and Dandy and Cochisse work an outright stunning sequence in the third fall.  The work is just top notch all around.  Ending is great with Dandy hitting a huge over the top dive that he goes vertical for, Magica hitting a sort-of botched but still cool cartwheel backflip dive and then Astro finishing Cochisse off in the ring with a great springboard headbutt.  I could've watched these guys do their thing for much, much longer.  One of the best trios on the set.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess El Dandy had started watching Japanese wrestling at this point. He had on his best Kazuo Yamazaki tights and was throwing kicks like a UWF guy. It was cool how he and Javier Cruz kept getting really heated when they matched up, especially given their history. Otherwise this is all babyfaces having a good clean wrestling match. Really, almost everyone looks good here. Everyone except Magico (who is wearing Mascara Sagrada gear). Magico's kind of awkward and a few of his really athletic moves don't hit very clean which forces Rocca to overcompensate and it just looks really goofy. It's not a good goofy either. Unfortunately those moments are really distracting, even with so much good stuff happening around them.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Dandy just lost a hair match and I'll be damned, he does look like Yamazaki up there, same red pants, skinhead, everything. I think the star design on the pants might even be the same. Everything is pretty "hail fellow, well met" and first fall ends with a great string of highspots -- missed in-ring dive, missile dropkick over la Tapatia, victory roll. Dandy and Javier start out segunda caida in grand fashion, are cool with each other, but Dandy calls him out second time around and the heat starts to build between the two. Magico seems passable but he badly fucks up his pinfall and Rocca basically falls down and says "pin me". Really glaring 'sore thumb' kind of performance amongst all these set godheads in the same ring. Then they replay it in slo-mo... jeez. At the end he completely botches a Space Flying Tiger Drop and you have to feel for him because you know they gave him so much shit for it backstage. Not enough to ruin the match though, really cool to see an all-tecnico trios and the work is really fast and furious. Dandy even hits a 1987 Shining Wizard!

Yeah, lots of moves namedropped here... it's that kind of match.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I still don't know what the hell Magico was trying to end the second fall. It looked like one of the worst botches for a rana that I'd ever seen, but I tried to rationalize it as being that ear clap move being done with the legs as opposed to the hands and that knocked his opponent loops.

I'm disappointed that this is the last appearance for Cochise on this set.

I still don't know what the hell Magico was trying to end the second fall. It looked like one of the worst botches for a rana that I'd ever seen, but I tried to rationalize it as being that ear clap move being done with the legs as opposed to the hands and that knocked his opponent loops.

I'm disappointed that this is the last appearance for Cochise on this set.

Apparently that is exactly what Magico is trying to do according to luchawiki: http://www.luchawiki.com/index.php?title=M%C3%A1scara_Sagrada 

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be funny if a wrestler established a finishing maneuver that was actually a botched move, but it still looked kind of cool?  If Rocky Mountain Thunder had some staying power, his dangerous and botchy finishing move might have been called the Mile High Driver and emulated in ROH.  But anyway, this was a solid match.  Dandy was fun throughout, especially his super-human dive at the end.  I was surprised to see Cochise take the final fall.  Magico was wacky but kind of fun to watch, especially his "dive" toward the end, which has been mentioned already.  I liked the good sportsmanship at the opening as well, which pretty much held up throughout.  I think a member of the opposite team was even massaging an opponent's leg after a first-fall submission, if I am remembering right, and that was cool to see.  This will land somewhere mid-range, not sure whether higher or lower.

• 3 months later...

I really didn't care for this. This felt too much like an exhibition at times and Magico might be the worst worker on the set so far. That El Dandy dive at the end WAS pretty insane so that will keep this out of the bottom 10 at least.