DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2017

Raziel

55 minutes ago, zev said:

Liger vs Taichi was wonderful. A proper sendoff for Jushin as far as tourneys go.

I don't think B Block 50/50 booking did Kushida any favors. But being the guy that defeated Ospreay the Unselling in the final probably did. 

FIFY

On 6/4/2017 at 0:10 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Was it me or did it seem like Omega had to constantly tell Scrull where to be in spots and even in the post-match pose?

tumblr_mce7jbAifI1ruyouho1_500.jpg

Watching BOSJ the past few weeks, I think I figured out what annoys me about Scurll- he combines the worst aspects of "LOOKA ME DOING COOL MOVES PIP PIP CHEERIO OLD TOP" English wrestling with not seeming to know how being a heel works. Real villains don't do stuff designed to get a pop.

FWIW, I loved him as a face when he worked here a few years back. 

• Like 1

I think that the presence of Scurll and Ospreay is some sort of strong style test NJPW is inflicting on their fans just to see how much abuse we can take.

Go ahead NJPW, slap me again, I'm Irish, I can take it. ;-)

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Watching BOSJ the past few weeks, I think I figured out what annoys me about Scurll- he combines the worst aspects of "LOOKA ME DOING COOL MOVES PIP PIP CHEERIO OLD TOP" English wrestling with not seeming to know how being a heel works. Real villains don't do stuff designed to get a pop.

FWIW, I loved him as a face when he worked here a few years back. 

I think you hit the nail on the head - nothing he does really comes across as working heel to me, other than the finger break spot (which nobody sells post-match and he does EVERY match - most of the UK and NJPW roster should be in casts by now).  

I actually think my least favorite thing Scurll does is when he fakes the superkick, does a little hop backwards, and then kicks his opponent low.  It takes fooooorever, and his opponent just has to stand there with his hands over his face like a goof in a way that no one EVER does to block a superkick.

What if Scurll is a modern day net savvy villain that does those particular moves and spots because he knows they'll draw the ire of youtube viewers and message board critics? 

2 hours ago, zev said:

What if Scurll is a modern day net savvy villain that does those particular moves and spots because he knows they'll draw the ire of youtube viewers and message board critics? 

Wreddit fawns all over him like he's the second coming, so his plan isn't working so great.