DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2017

Raziel

I hesitate to give up on him (or anyone, anywhere, ever) because it's the year of Kenny Omega, Main Event Dynamo. ANYTHING can happen. Much like Kenny, Marty has "it". And "it" isn't some magical intangible pixie dust, it's an inate magnetism that makes a crowd feel a little extra sumpin' at you. And it seems to me that young indie guys who posses this "it" get caught up in their own shtick and hype is because they can get away with it in front of crowds who haven't seen it before.

I feel like Lyger is gonna book himself to go winless when really everyone just wants to see him win every match with a cradle and then die gloriously in the final. 

Edit: Whoops posted this as a quote by accident,  not sure what happened.  Phones!!!!!!! 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle

Taichi/TAKA was a masterpiece. I was laughing so hard throughout. Much like YOSHI-HASHI last year, I'm turning the corner on Taichi, as he's next level piece of shit.

Thought Ospreay/Ricochet went too long and it wasn't nearly as tight of a match as their match from last year's tournament. Liger/Takahashi was good but didn't quite live up to my lofty expectations.

On 5/20/2017 at 0:30 AM, mattdangerously said:

I enjoyed the hell out of Liger/Takahashi.  It's remarkable that Liger did such a good job of keeping up with a guy who tends to sprint through his matches from start to finish.

Yeah, that was super fun. I really enjoyed Takahashi having an answer for all of Liger's big moves in the middle of the match, then Liger finally figuring out a way to hit all of them at the end only for them to still not be enough to put the younger man away.

Meanwhile in the Scurrl/Dragon Lee, Scurrl tied the loose parts of DL's mask to the ropes to incapacitate him for a while, making that the first thing I've ever seen Marty Scurrl do in a wrestling match that I've thought was interesting.

Heading into the final day of Block A:

Dragon Lee holds the tiebreaker over Takahashi and Ricochet.  faces TAKA.  Wins Block A with a win and an Ospreay AND Taichi loss.

Takahashi holds a tiebreaker over Taichi, faces Ospreay, wins Block A with a win and a Dragon Lee AND Ricochet loss/draw

Ricochet holds the tiebreaker over Takahashi and Taichi, faces Scrull. wins Block A with a win Lee AND Ospreay loss.

Taichi holds the tiebreaker over Lee and Ospreay, faces Liger, wins Block A with a win and Takahashi AND Ricochet loss.

Ospreay holds the tiebreaker over Lee and Ricochet, faces Takahashi, wins Block A with a win and a Taichi loss.

Ospreay has the easiest route, just needing one other result to go his way instead of 2.  But it's still wide open between those 5 (and I wasn't expecting Taichi in there).  It's also neat that the whole day determines who's winning, not just one match.  With Takahashi/Ospreay going on last Wednesday, I'm guessing that Taichi, Lee, and Ricochet all take losses so that the Main determines A Block's winner, and I can see all 3 of those results going that way (No way in hell Liger get's shut out in his last tourny, and TAKA over Lee is a little stretch, but not out of the question.)  I don't see them repeating the G1 Block A results with Ospreay and Takahashi going 30 and allowing someone else to back door in.

Fuck if I can break down B Block.  I don't recall seeing a tourny where everyone was even going into the last day.  I can probably break down who needs what to happen to win before Thursday, but it's all complicated because of who holds what tiebreakers and very few hold breakers in common.  Going by the lineup, I'm sure there'll be some draws to break it up.  Kanemaru/Desperado going on last Thursday leads to think that's the draw, and it'll be between Volador and KUSHIDA.  Although there's a Taguchi/ACH match to happen and I could still see ACH winning the block.

Pulling out my round robin spreadsheet from 2014.

Assuming there will be no draws on the last day of Block B matches:

ACH wins Block B if ACH, Bushi and Kushida all win
Volador wins Block B if Volador, ACH and Desperado all win
Desperado wins Block B if Desperado, Taguchi and Bushi all win
Kushida wins Block B if Kushida, Taguchi and Kanemaru all win
Bushi wins Block B if Bushi, Volador and Kanemaru all win
Taguchi wins Block B if Taguchi, Volador and TMIV all win
TMIV wins Block B if TMIV, Kushida and Desperado all win
Kanemaru wins Block B if Kanemaru, ACH and TMIV all win

With draws it obviously gets a lot more complicated and there are some scenarios where they'd have to have a tiebreaker to figure out who wins.  I'll see if I can find an easy way to put it into writing.

Ugh.

Assuming there will be no more than one draw on the last day of Block B matches:

ACH wins Block B if he and Bushi and Kushida all win, or if he and Desperado both win and either Bushi or Kushida wins, with the other match going to a draw
Bushi wins Block B if he and Volador and Kanemaru all win, or if he and Taguchi both win and either Volador or Kanemaru wins, with the other match going to a draw
Desperado wins Block B if he and Taguchi and Bushi all win, or if he and Kushida both win and either Taguchi or Bushi wins, with the other match going to a draw
Kanemaru wins Block B if he and ACH and TMIV all win, or if he and Volador both win and either ACH or TMIV wins, with the other match going to a draw
Kushida wins Block B if he and Taguchi and Kanemaru all win, or if he and Bushi both win and either Taguchi or Kanemaru wins, with the other match going to a draw
Taguchi wins Block B if he and Volador and TMIV all win, or if he and Kanemaru both win and either Volador or TMIV wins, with the other match going to a draw
TMIV wins Block B if he and Kushida and Desperado all win, or if he and ACH both win and either Kushida or Desperado wins, with the other match going to a draw
Volador wins Block B if he and ACH and Desperado all win, or if he and TMIV both win and either ACH or Desperado wins, with the other match going to a draw

We would get unresolvable 3-way ties for the block leader if Bushi wins and neither ACH nor Volador lose their matches, or if TMIV wins and neither Taguchi nor Kushida lose their matches, or if ACH wins and neither Bushi nor Kanemaru lose their matches, or if Taguchi wins and neither TMIV nor Desperado lose their matches.

Unsuprisingly (and unremarkably, although I haven't watched Ospreay/Takahashi yet), Will Ospreay is your Block A winner.  Volador would be my pick to win Block B, with ACh and KUSHIDA being my not-suprising-if-they-won picks.  I'm guessing Ospreay wins the whole thing to get the shot at Takahashi at Dominion.

Liger/Taichi was a pretty great spectacle with all sorts of smoke and mirrors. Really felt like a night off for both guys, but in a good way... like a Toru Yano G1 match. 5 minutes of shtick, gimmick finish, go home.

• Like 3

KUSHIDA wins Block B.

Finals look kind of interesting, and I would put it at the toss up.  KUSHIDA winning and going on to win the Jr. Title is a nice bit of King's Road booking given the last Takahashi/KUSHIDA match, and Ospreay holds a win in the tourny over Takahashi, so really, it's eather way.

The past couple of weeks have opened my eyes to how good Taguchi is... he had a hell of a tournament, whether doing his usual comedy or working straight like the instant classic against KUSHIDA.

Will Ospreay is 24 and works every match like he doesn't want to see 25. I think he needs an intervention with Dynamite Kid.

• Like 1

Yeah, little over a year ago, Taguchi turned a corner and hit some kind of revelation where he comes off more as a really talented guy, but has way too much fun, so he can run the spectrum of comedy to high end stuff.  He's in the list of guys in NJPW that just flipped a switch and became a top end worker out of nowhere.

On 5/31/2017 at 10:39 AM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

And don't bother working over any body part of Young Will, he won't sell them anyway in the home stretch...is it so hard to do that? That ruins me most of his matches.

He never seems to sell any kind of exhaustion or anything, either.  Act like you're in a fight, mate.

• Like 1

Full card for the BOSJ finals show per Meltz. That 10-man tag sounds like oodles of fun... also dig how the main is the only singles match on the entire show.

• Will Ospreay vs. KUSHIDA to determine this year's Best of the Super Juniors winner
  • Kazuchika Okada & Gedo vs. Kenny Omega & Marty Scurll
  • Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Satoshi Kojima, Juice Robinson, Ryusuke Taguchi, Ricochet & Dragon Lee
  • Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
  • War Machine, David Finlay & ACH vs. Guerrillas of Destiny, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
  • Volador Jr., Tiger Mask IV & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Taka Michinoku, El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
  • Hirai Kawato, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Togi Makabe vs. Jado, Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii
  • Syota Umino, Tomoyuki Oka & Yuji Nagata vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi, Katsuya Kitamura & Manabu Nakanishi

Ugh, I'm so over this 45 finishers a match, kicking out of all but 1, and just outright not selling anything to get to the next highspot style.  Ospreay is trash and drags down those around him.  At least he didn't win.

• Like 2

I ended up awake and caught the second half of the show, and honestly, the main event was the match I liked the least.  KUSHIDA switching between working Ospreay's knee and working his arm made the first half of the match feel disjointed to me.  It picked up near the end but just didn't do it for me overall.

Was it me or did it seem like Omega had to constantly tell Scrull where to be in spots and even in the post-match pose?

I wouldn't have minded KUSHIDA swapping body part if Ospreay bothered to sell ANY of it.  He got the knee worked over and then started tossings C4's and SSP's, then right after being stuck in the Hover Board Lock for 2 minutes, he's tossing Cutters and not bothering to so his arm had anything wrong.  

That final belonged in PWG, not NJPW.

• Like 1

Liger vs Taichi was wonderful. A proper sendoff for Jushin as far as tourneys go.

I don't think B Block 50/50 booking did Kushida any favors. But being the guy that defeated Ospreay the Unharmable in the final probably did. 

• Like 1