DVDVR Message Board

NXT MAY 2017 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Was at the NXT House Show tonight in Kentucky. Some notable things:

As mentioned in the Takeover thread, Ciampa appeared to hurt his leg about 5 minutes in to a DIY/Young & Wolfe tag. It was on the opposite side of the floor from where I was so I couldn't see what exactly happened but the crowd pretty much immediately went silent when the match was stopped. Drake Wuertz and the Trainer came out of the back(Eddie Orengo was the ref for that match) but by that point Ciampa had hopped on one leg quickly around ringside and met them at the top of the ramp to immediately go to the back. 

This led to Young stalling with some mic work, inviting Killian Dain to ringside and challenging anyone in the back to come down and take them on. Kassius Ohno came out alone and it turned in to a 3-on-1 beatdown until Wuertz ejected Young and Wolfe. Ohno and Killian then had a pretty good Hoss match, complete with Ohno busting Dain's nose open with an elbow. 

Best/cheapest heat of the night went to Sonya Deville who took on Lacey Evans. Deville pulled a Sasha/Izzy except it was with Lacey's own daughter in the front row(who couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old). Sonya literally pulled Lacey to the outside and punched her in the face right in front of her daughter, causing the toddler to start sobbing and then mocked the girl's sobbing right to her face. It was incredible to watch. Part-entertaining, part-uncomfortable. After Lacey jobbed to Sonya(because, of course), Deville glared at the girl as she left the ring. 

The other odd thing that happened was in the opener, as Drake disqualified Wesley Blake for choking No Way Jose with his denim vest. I don't believe that was the original finish of the match(that would make zero sense at a House Show) but was probably one of those House Show "rules" that the agents/referees have to follow. After it happened(which deflated the crowd), you could see Wuertz and Blake having a conversation in the ring about it. Jose and Blake then improv-ed a way for Jose to get his heat but it was awkward and forced.

Pretty good crowd. The only notable absences were the Authors of Pain. No idea why they wouldn't be on the loop since they'll obviously be in Chicago Saturday(was there a Florida show tonight?)

7 hours ago, Peck said:

The other odd thing that happened was in the opener, as Drake disqualified Wesley Blake for choking No Way Jose with his denim vest. I don't believe that was the original finish of the match(that would make zero sense at a House Show) but was probably one of those House Show "rules" that the agents/referees have to follow. After it happened(which deflated the crowd), you could see Wuertz and Blake having a conversation in the ring about it. Jose and Blake then improv-ed a way for Jose to get his heat but it was awkward and forced.

WWE (and NXT) referees have been told for a long while to call "shoot" DQs if they don't break holds properly.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

WWE (and NXT) referees have been told for a long while to call "shoot" DQs if they don't break holds properly.  

It wasn't even a 5-count break though on the DQ. I think it was more along the lines of the fact that it was a vest used. Not quite Bryan/Roberts with a tie but maybe along those lines? It was funny watching Drake and Blake have a "shoot" conversation in the ring about what happened while trying to obviously hide the fact that they were having a conversation in the ring about it.

Here is the stuff that was taped pre Takeover for air this week

Spoiler

- Aleister Black defeated Curt Hawkins

The crowd went nuts for Black. He took most of the match, then got the pin after hitting Black Mass.

- The Velveteen Dream (Patrick Clark) defeated Robert "Ego" Anthony

Anthony wrestles for local indies and got a decent pop for his appearance here. It was a squash match, but it was fine for what it was because Anthony can work. The Velveteen Dream won with an elbow from the top rope.

- Drew McIntyre defeated Wesley Blake

The pop that McIntyre got was okay, but it wasn't anything huge. Blake got a decent amount of offense in the match. It was an okay match, though it was choppy at parts. McIntyre won with the Claymore Kick.

Very much a place holder week until the next tapings

Speaking of tryouts, it's still so weird for me to see Ruby/Dori. She went from coming back here to work at a wings restaurant, to going to the ROH show in Chicago for a tryout, she doesn't land in ROH, but then she winds up signing with NXT. 

Early reminder that TV is being taped tonight so if anything major happens it will probably be all over social media

And since they clearly have stopped taping in order - I am just going to do one giant block of spoilers

I really like what Aleister Black's been doing in getting a character over almost entirely in the ring. Yeah there was the vignettes and the entrance, but once he showed up, we saw him portray someone who is going out of their way to be calm, and to maintain that coolness. In his early squashes, he kept that up throughout, and took his opponents out almost immediately. In this last match with Hawkins, Hawkins' running and cheap-shotting took Black out of that a bit, pissing him off, which allowed Hawkins to got some control as he took Black out of his game. Black was able to regain control though, and once he was, it was over for Hawkins.

It's different, which is what WWE needs more than anything else.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I figured Blake and Murphy would both be dead in the water after splitting up, but Blake actually looked damned good in that match.  If he can find a decent gimmick he might have a solo future after all.

Really both guys have shown to be better than their tag matches let on. They both just need decent gimmicks.

I thought Blake looked like the biggest jobber in the world with the "tough Texan" gimmick while being out of shape and constantly pulling his pants up. The entire arena was deflated when his music hit lol. Drew shouldn't have sold more than 10 seconds for him. I don't remember if Patrick Clarke was any good or not, but that was a solid squash match for him. They need to start a feud for Alister Black soon, and I'm interested to see if they give him any mic time.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why they broke those dudes up in the first damn place?  Nothing about either of those guys says, "singles push" to me, but they were more than capable as a tag team.  Honestly, if they were to feud with Heavy Machinery while the DIY vs. AOP feud was going on, wouldn't that help the brand out a lot.  At least it would feel like Heavy Machinery proved themselves on their way to a title feud (they are going to be the next title feud right? Honestly, who else is in the running?).  They broke up that team, had Samoa Joe run in on the blowoff (which was shaping up to be really good), and now they are just paying two dudes to do nothing.

• Like 1

I agree that Blake and Murphy were always going to be better as a team. The Brainbuster/Frog Splash is one of my favorite tag spots.

Also keep an eye on The Velveteen Dream. He was the best guy not named Joe/Roode/Nakamura on the show I went to in Melbourne last year. Wrestles his gimmick, plays amazingly well to the crowd and has the physical tools to put on a great show. Love him using the Rude Awakening and will be keen to see if he keeps that swank elbow.

Some notes from tonights tapings. If you hate the "2... sweet" thing, I wouldn't watch these shows

Ciampa came out at the beginning to explain his actions. Basically, he blames the fans and Gargano for trying to replace him after he got injured. He's unreplaceable and when he gets back, He'll prove that.

Hideo Itami started his heel turn by destroying Oney Lorcan. He hit him with 3 GTS's before Ohno came out for the save

Speaking of Ohno, He had an outstanding match with Alister Black in the main event. I'm not sure if it will air but it's the closest we will get to Chris Hero vs Tommy End in a wwe ring.

Bobby Roode's next feud is with Roderick Strong. They had an interview segment and Roode just bashed Strong. It was pretty funny. No celebration for Roode so I guess that's a pretape that airs next week.

The women were pretty much nonexistent. Ember return to beat Peyton. Sonya Deville beat Rachel Evers and they had a triple threat elimination rematch from Takeover with Asuka/Ruby/Nikki. Ruby was eliminated first and Asuka/Nikki ended in a no contest. They round up outisde and go through a table near the electrical equipment. I guess Asuka/Nikki will have a match soon.

Raul Mendoza made his debut in a loss to the Velveteen Dream. Nice to see him in NXT.