DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Leaving Things Right Where They Are - 5/1/2017

Dolfan in NYC

So...board soul searching on whether that main was awesome or shitty based on high spot no-selling in 4-3-2-

Personally I loved it, even the multiple run-ins. It was like an old attitude era RAW main but with crazy amounts of pain and Road-Runner level insanity.

Show started well and ended well.

They do seem done with Bayley. Can't blame that on you-know-who, though. Got beat in her home town, beat the next night, will lose the rematch as well and they'll move on to Alexa vs. Sasha.

• Like 3

The lack of Braun was just weird. And Kurt not finishing his whole thing about them.

Alexa was fucking amazing in the opening segment. The bit with Nia was perfect.

Finn vs Bray should be... Interesting. At least it's not Rollins.

• Like 2

I really loved that triple threat match though.  I've seen a lot of criticisms for how Seth Rollins works etc..  but he was the guy in this match that had the crowd unglued.  He worked his ass off and the crowd was white hot for it.  

It did suck to have no Braun.  I guess they are doing an Extreme Rules match probably which will not help him or Roman.   

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

On the other hand, taking the belt off Bayley without ever doing the Sasha turn was is just painfully short-sighted.

They never meant to turn Sasha. They were just two straight up cheaters. That's why it's a good thing Bayley lost fair and square to Alexa after all those months of screwing over Charlotte. Cheaters never prosper.

• Like 1

The Rollins hate is just so weird because I'll see praise for some high spot intensive crap from PWG but Rollins does it and well whatever it's not worth discussing further.  I'm glad @piranesi mentioned an Attitude Era style ending, it totally was. Everything tied together nicely. Bray picked Balor as his next target many weeks ago. 

I loved the main. Even the run ins were fine by me. Miz is still the best heel around right now. The start of the match with Miz just Larry Zbyszkoing it up was tops.

When Kurt Angle told Golden Truth they couldn't be #1 contenders because of their win/loss record I just wanted Goldust to say "But Jinder...."

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

On the other hand, taking the belt off Bayley without ever doing the Sasha turn is just painfully short-sighted.

Is there more heat in it if Sasha expects Bayley to return the favour, and help her get the title off Alexa, only to turn on her the next night? 

Also works a lot better for Bayley to be chasing her I think.

Oh man.  Dean and The Drifter had me rolling. That was great stuff.  I'm a little concerned about the Braun stuff. The next logical opponent for him is a title match with Brock.  But knowing WWEand also how Brock will not wrestle until freaking July,  they will now run this Roman program straight into the ground and nobody will benefit from it.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Is there more heat in it if Sasha expects Bayley to return the favour, and help her get the title off Alexa, only to turn on her the next night? 

Also works a lot better for Bayley to be chasing her I think.

I feel like the story is Sasha getting jealous that Bayley was able to hang on to the belt without her, when Sasha kept losing it right away. 

WWE sucks at booking chases. They are a babyface champ territory still and when they try not to be they get in trouble.

• Like 1

Sasha's not turning. She'll just be a cringeworthy babyface against Alexa. I feel like they had a plan and PLANS CHANGED with the shake-up. They're not going to have Alexa, Sasha, Emma and Nia all as heels.

WWE has certain expectations for the lead role in their women's divisions and they've already positioned Alexa in a similar role that they had Charlotte in. I just don't think they have confidence in Sasha to carry long talking segments like Alexa or Charlotte. She gets a line here or there and that's about it.

• Like 1

Sasha was a great heel in NXT but I'm thinking WWE doesn't really care what would benefit Sasha's character.  She is still fairly over and she moves merch, you see tons of little girls wearing her stuff. That's enough for them to just stick with it probably.  The babyfaces receive no character work at all these days. 

They'll turn her eventually, just way too late for it to make sense or matter.

It's strange, I'm pretty down on the booking and overall direction tonight, but the actual show was fine.

More exciting than Rockets/Spurs at least.

28 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The Rollins hate is just so weird because I'll see praise for some high spot intensive crap from PWG but Rollins does it and well whatever it's not worth discussing further.  I'm glad @piranesi mentioned an Attitude Era style ending, it totally was. Everything tied together nicely. Bray picked Balor as his next target many weeks ago. 

What if we dont like Rollins or PWG? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh man.  Dean and The Drifter had me rolling. That was great stuff.

It reminded me of Dean and Rich Swann playing the CZW theme during one of the preshow tailgates... 

The whole thing is kind of funny...

• Like 1

I think what changed in the woman's division more than anything else is that Alexa Bliss has emerged as an absolute star. There's a reason why she was the one who got moved to Raw and not Becky or Nattie or Naomi. She's maybe the best talker in the company right now and has all-time great mannerisms. 

Bayley works best chasing and dealing w/ Alexa's nonsense and attempts to humiliate her. Sasha's also looming in the background for a feud. And the crowd also popped hard for Nia getting into it w/ Alexa for a minute. 

Alexa was really starting to come into her own during her last stretch in NXT. But she's stepped up to an entire new level. She's doing some great character work and is terrific at playing a bad person. She's a great foil for Bayley (the witch bully vs. the nerd) and Sasha (the witch bully vs. the baddest girl on the block). 

They'll get to Sasha/Bayley. They were headed that way and then Alexa turned everyone's heads, and rightfully so. 

• Like 4