DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Leaving Things Right Where They Are - 5/1/2017

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Raziel403 said:

Nope, match was Non-title, Bray "won" the fued, Orton is still WWE Champ, and is now fueding with Jinder.

But I thought it was for the title or have they for some reason just aren't doing rematch clauses anymore?

Man, I was looking forward to a Randy Orton less Smackdown.

Oh, well. I liked the last match with Finn Balor, Seth, and the Miz. The Miz tamed Balor's and Rollins' worst tendencies and added pacing. The finish made sense although I rather not see another Miz vs Dean match. I thought the shakeup was supposed to add matches that were not present on the show for a year. All it seemed to do was continue shit we already have seen.

Alexa is an awesome heel. Shame she lacks the ring ability to back that up.

Also why even bring up the Universal Title? I mean why even tease the match and the possibility of Brock showing up knowing damn well he won't. Like having Seth and Finn demand a shot, only to get derailed by IC match with both seemingly forgetting why they were out there in the first place. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kyuubi said:

Alexa is an awesome heel. Shame she lacks the ring ability to back that up.

Well her match with Bayley was really good so I think those two have chemistry. Alexa's SDL run was a little disappointing in ring, but she's getting better. I think the kind of matches that play to her strengths also benefit Bayley. Slower more mat based character driven matches without a bunch of OMG high spots. I think they had Bayley trying to work like that against Charlotte and it's just not what she's best at. With how good Alexa is at everything else(top 5 maybe top 3 on the mic right now) she can get by with being just good in the ring.

• Like 2

Fun show.  Loved the main event, even though I figured it was already a foregone conclusion.  My favorite part might have been after Joe took out Rollins, Miz stared him down like he was scared Joe was going to take him out as well.  Great stuff.

Loved the cruiserweight matches.  The six man tag was lots of fun and the TJ/Aries match was really solid.  Aries is just bringing it.  I was surprised Neville didn't come down to stomp Aries after the match but Perkins attacking the injured knee afterwards works with Booker reiterating Neville's sinister intention.

Sheamus and Cesaro did a pretty good job with their promo and powdering when the Hardyz came back for retribution.  Matt worked a few more broken mannerisms into his promo.

I admit, I laughed at Mean Dean Ambrose, especially with the Drifter.

1 minute ago, JCM said:

Well her match with Bayley was really good so I think those two have chemistry. Alexa's SDL run was a little disappointing in ring, but she's getting better. I think the kind of matches that play to her strengths also benefit Bayley. Slower more mat based character driven matches without a bunch of OMG high spots. I think they had Bayley trying to work like that against Charlotte and it's just not what she's best at. With how good Alexa is at everything else(top 5 maybe top 3 on the mic right now) she can get by with being just good in the ring.

I still believe in her and I think she has serious potential of being Trish Stratus level. And I know for a fact that she worked her ass off in developmental. For some reason, she needs something to click and if Bayley is the person to elevate that, by all means. And I have not seen any of the Payback matches. I took a rain check on that PPV.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

I still believe in her and I think she has serious potential of being Trish Stratus level. And I know for a fact that she worked her ass off in developmental. For some reason, she needs something to click and if Bayley is the person to elevate that, by all means. And I have not seen any of the Payback matches. I took a rain check on that PPV.

Yes, she really clicks with Bayley. Their PPV match had to have been the best Alexa has looked since being called up. So I can get behind a continuation of their feud.

I really dug the opening segment and match. Crazy to believe that just a few years ago, all of that would have been done within 5 minutes lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Why would it make any sense for them to suddenly come out in full "Broken" gimmick for no reason when they've been working the nostalgia run angle since they came in? "Hey, WWE Universe, thanks to a settlement we can show you who we really are!"

Well it would be pretty easy for it to make sense since the team they've shared a mutual respect/semi-friendship with suddenly turned on them, "broke" Jeff Hardy's tooth, and then there was this

Coming right on the heels of the news that WWE is negotiating with TNA for the 'Broken Matt' stuff and many signs pointed to the Hardyz coming out "Broken".

• Like 3

Awesome main event, loved Miz's mind games to start the match sliding in and out of the ring.

I have no idea how Seth avoided Sabu'ing himself on that dive where Finn caught him and piledrove him into the mat.  It looked like he may have had a stinger, he was shaking his arms and hands like they went numb and he lost feeling in them.  Thank the adrenaline

Sheamus & Cesaro are my new favorite ass-kicking tag team.  Except they look like they're doing some kind of ANTIFA gimmick now with their jackets.

And let Alexa hold the Women's belt forever...no one else is on her level right now.

• Like 2

Seth took a couple scary bumps in that match. The second suicide dive he hit on the outside he connected head first. Reminded me of the dumb, scary bumps that Daniel Bryan would take. It was actually pretty similar to the one that Bryan gave himself a stinger by doing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FireThunder said:

Mean Dean Ambrose

Damn, now that you mention it, that was such a missed opportunity for Rollins or Miz to go "Well, lemme tell ya something, Mean Dean..."

• Like 7

RE: Papa Brayngo, it's astounding how badly he's been botched. Some of the blame falls his way; the promos have felt very wash-rinse-repeat for a while. But there have been a few times in Bray's run I thought he had the pieces necessary to become a terrific main-event heel, then he's had his momentum derailed. 

RE: Brock, he does absolutely nothing for me any more. Him winning the title from Cena to rarely defend was cool at the time, since it gave an aura of the champ being special, as was the case back in the day. Also, Suplex City was great in the Summerslam 2014 match vs. Cena because it was completely unexpected. Now, it's all he does. His few matches against anyone who wasn't Goldberg the last year-and-a-half felt like more like watching Scott Steiner in THAT Royal Rumble match than anything else. 

And when he is coming back, that means we get Paul Heyman dry-heaving "BRAAAAAWWWWK LEEEEZZZZZNUUUURRRRR" promos. Hard pass. 

I'd love for this absence to elevate the value of the Intercontinental championship. Having the holder in the main event is a good start, though I'd prefer it be because he's defending the championship. 

Nobody's talking about the Cruserweight six-man match?  How can you ignore such a fun match that had three umbrellas, faces posing and having fun, and some damn fine wrestling to boot?  We loved everything about it and I figured there'd be at gifs by now of Gallagher's entrance.  Great stuff.

Maybe it's because I *want* it to be the case, but I feel like the Cruiserweight may be finding its groove. Some of my favorite matches this year have been on 205 Live, and Aries-Neville have produced outstanding matches on back-to-back shows. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

RE: Brock, he does absolutely nothing for me any more. Him winning the title from Cena to rarely defend was cool at the time, since it gave an aura of the champ being special, as was the case back in the day. Also, Suplex City was great in the Summerslam 2014 match vs. Cena because it was completely unexpected. Now, it's all he does. His few matches against anyone who wasn't Goldberg the last year-and-a-half felt like more like watching Scott Steiner in THAT Royal Rumble match than anything else. 

And when he is coming back, that means we get Paul Heyman dry-heaving "BRAAAAAWWWWK LEEEEZZZZZNUUUURRRRR" promos. Hard pass. 

I'd love for this absence to elevate the value of the Intercontinental championship. Having the holder in the main event is a good start, though I'd prefer it be because he's defending the championship. 

Completely agree. Brock's 2015 was the last time I enjoyed his work. Instead of German Suplexes, do different ones like he did against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania XXXI. Brock used a fisherman's suplex, a back suplex and a belly to belly to go with the Germans.

When Daniel Bryan won the WWE Intercontinental Championship and John Cena the WWE United States Championship, I thought the WWE would build the titles up again. This happened with Cena but not with Bryan as he had to vacate due to injuries.

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Raw Is Leaving Things Right Where They Are - 5/1/2017

I guess they forgot Dean and Roman are best buds because I haven't heard Ambrose say a thing about wanting to fight Stroman for killing his friend. If they wanted to elevate the IC title have Dean call out Braun and drop it to him. It makes Ambrose look tough/crazy which is what he's supposed to be, it establishes the friendship that the audience has been invested in for 5 years, and it gives Braun a test run in main event title matches.

• Like 1

I don't think we're supposed to focus on Dean/Roman right now until they get closer to that Shield reunion.  They'll get to it soon enough.  And considering Seth's in the IC title picture now it makes sense to focus on them without Roman being part of it.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno if anyone posted this but it's great. I actually said "clones" right before Jericho did haha

Meanwhile, Angle looks like a serial killer even when he's corpsing

The lack of a reference to multiple Doink's disappoints me greatly.

• Like 2