DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

Again if you followed the NWA in the last month or two what happened last night makes sense.  But I would be shocked if more than 10% of that crowd watched even one of those 10 Pounds of Gold shows.   So it all comes off stupid and not knowing your audience from both a CZW and a Billy Corgan standpoint

Its more so a byproduct of not having an actualshow yet and having to shoot your angles at shows ran by other promotions. 

In the long run, it isn’t a big deal. From a story perspective it makes sense. The match doesn’t really matter...they could edit it and show it in video package form.

13 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'd assume they're going to run a storyline of Storm being injured by Jocephus during their match, thus why he got squashed by Magnus so quick. 

Exactly.  Also, they now have two feuds/angles going.  Aldis defending his title, and Storm/Josephus.

I get what they are going for, and it makes sense from a storyline perspective, but watching it play out has been underwhelming.  I like Storm well enough, and want to get behind the storyline, but the matches haven't been good.  If they were committed to going this route, I'd have preferred Storm get a few more defenses, then drop the belt in a match that was... i dunno.... advertised?

Was Storm-Aldis advertised ahead of time and I just didn't pay attention?  i thought Storm would defend vs. a CZW guy.

The idea of the NWA title change happening on Cage of Death just seems odd to me.  Like, you'd have to try hard to find a less "NWA-ey" setting.

Not totally analogous, but when Dusty beat Flair at the 86 Bash, that card had a Glove on a Pole match, an Indian strap match, a hair v hair match, a taped fist match, an inter gender 6 man match in a cage. Plus, the title change was in a cage. 

Yeah, I don't see why people aren't picking up of the "Because, territories" reason for why Storm dropped the title in CZW.

The match was not that great if you look at it in a vacuum, but Storm losing to Aldis because his injury at the hands of Josephus did not allow Storm to perform at 100 makes booking sense. 

I'm underwhelmed by the blow off angle but at least I am not SMH about the lunacy of the angle.  If Storm had won, some of us would be bitching about how he's being Cena Superman booked.  Storm is resilient, but he's not invulnerable.

How do you feel if you are the Championship Wrestling from Hollywood or whatever it's called?  All the build up and matches have been in your promotion and then the title change comes at a one off for an audience that had no clue the previous storyline...

8 minutes ago, iowanole said:

How do you feel if you are the Championship Wrestling from Hollywood or whatever it's called?  All the build up and matches have been in your promotion and then the title change comes at a one off for an audience that had no clue the previous storyline...

And they'll get the next chapter, whatever it is. 

To be fair as easy as it is to bag on CZW (And a lot of that isn't fair to be honest) Cage of Death has for years been one of the biggest shows in all of Indy wrestling. In fact I've been to tons of off the charts shows in my life and I don't think any of them were better live than Cage of Death V. The main event was the most insane stunt show ever that made no sense as a match but literally no one cared. The other big match was Chris Cash vs Joker in a ladder match that was just as insane and made both guys gigantic stars in one night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Who?

I meant in terms of the CZW audience. Of course this being CZW they totally screwed everything up afterwards. COD V was so incredible that everyone on the bus trip crew ended up loving the promotion and everyone demanded a trip to the next CZW show (and keep in mind these were people who went to just about all those great early ROH shows). That show ended up being one of the most awful shows ever and killed all the momentum dead. 

FWIW, I was a big fan of CZW around 2005-2007, when they had the on-again, off-again feud between Chris Hero and Eddie Kingston.  Hero doing the "Saviour of CZW" gimmick was a lotta fun.  Mike Burns of Smart Mark Video was booking CZW around that time, iirc (Zandig fired him at the beginning of the ROH-CZW war).

I'm not inherently against doing the title change at a bigger indy show. But, if you want an audience that is in to the match and knows the angle, CZW probably isn't the place to do it.  It feels like it probably should have been Hollywood.  Honestly, I'm more down on the Corgan NWA because the showcased matches have been pretty bad so far.

All this baloney and I never got to referee an NWA World title match like I wanted.  I should've just gone to CZW, apparently.

(Closest I came was Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Pearce in the semifinals of the tournament in 2007 after they took the title from TNA.  Had Pearce not lost the title to Blue Demon the week before a show I did in Penticton in 2008, Pearce vs. Brent Albright would've been for the title.  So close.)

I'm surprised at Marquez buying into CZW; everything I always heard was that he never wanted anything to do with them.

So according to Ethan Page (who was at the show)  podcast one of the ideas brought up for Cage of Death was Storm vs David Starr with Storm going over but was rejected because Starr is too small.  That better not be true because if that is your standard then you have wiped out about half of the indie talent out there who people give a shit about.