DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

On 11/29/2017 at 12:08 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was interested in where TNA was going with him as a Patrick Bateman type obsessing over Christy Hemme. In true TNA fashion, it never went anywhere.

Agreed that was a solid story/angle for awhile, had a seeming blowoff but then got brought back later down the line and then abruptly dropped after some twists and turns unfortunately.

It is funny how Shane Douglas who has never had a problem talking about anything didn't want to talk when the NWA asked him for comments.  I guess he figured it would be a hatchet job and wanted no part of it.  Didn't know he was at the actual House of Hardcore that segment happened.  

Tim Storm vs. Jocephus has been uploaded to YouTube

Not the best match I've seen, but not the worst either. 

We all realize by now that Corgan is trying to establish Tim Storm as a brand along with the importance of the title and I suppose we'll have to wait and see if Corgan continues to run with Tim Storm as the champion.

I thought for sure when Jocephus was walking down those stairs while the piano played, Billy would be pop up and say "Ahhhhh Jocephus, I knew you'd come."

Man I wish Matt Hardy was in this company.

• Like 1

Results from Combat Zone

Spoiler

Nick Aldis won the title

Not surprisingly - the match was reportedly not good. Or at least not well received by the CZW crowd

In fact the crowd hated it so much that when Aldis said he would never return to Combat Zone, it got a big pop

Edited by RIPPA
  • Sad 1

Edit: They replaced the live stream video of the match, with a quick clip of the finish instead..

A three minute squash? What an anticlimactic shit ending to a 414 day reign. Felt like they were just getting started on a multitude of interesting stories with Storm on top against much more interesting opponents, this sucks. Aldis gets a big push everywhere he goes but I have yet to understand why. My interest in following along lowers significantly with this title switch. I'm guessing Storm's done after this but I would like to see him stick around as a regular atleast.

• Like 1

It really is a toss up between who was the biggest moron in this situation.  CZW for trying to put on Storm vs Aldis with Brian Hebner as the guest ref after the disaster of the first segment with the NWA guys or the NWA for actually putting that shit on Youtube immediately.  I guess they took it down because someone might have told Corgan that an NWA world title change with a crowd who didn't give two shits about the NWA world title and a match that a combination of terrible wrestling and Storm selling a rib injury that maybe 20% knew about was a bad idea

But the best part is after Matt Tremont and Ethan Page and MJF came out to try to get the title shot guess who decided to show up in Combat Zone Wrestling in 2017.  I guess I should start spoilering?

Spoiler

AUSTIN IDOL.  :blink: Yes Austin Idol who I don't know if has ever worked in the east coast short of maybe a Goodheart show comes to the ring.   And something happened that has probably never happened in his career, he killed the crowd.  Most of the crowd had no clue who he was (which really says a lot about CZW fans unfortunately) and after the segment the crowd was almost silent except for the high spots or weapons in the Cage of the Death match.  I guess he is now the manager of Nick Aldis which is just weird 

From a story standpoint, I can sort of see where they were going with this. But they ended the Tim Storm reign in the "new" NWA far too soon. He should have gotten a few more defenses in before finally dropping the belt to Magnus. I liked the idea of this story of this middle aged man pushing back father time to sit on top of the mountain. I at least hope that maybe there's an angle in all of this and Nick paid off Jocsephus to tune Tim Storm up before the CZW show. That might make it interesting.