DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

His TNA run to the title is an all-time great face run. Easily my favorite thing TNA ever did.

Co-signed. Perfect all the way around, absolutey loved that run, build, and match(es). Aries would be my be pick for wrestler of the year that year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem with a homegrown guy as the NWA Champion is that building around homegrown guys was the whole reason the NWA fell into disarray under Bruce Tharpe, solely because he DID try to build around "his homegrown guys" and no one gave a shit about any of them, because no one had heard of any of them. 

A WWE castoff is a necessary evil right now, because they're just the only people who most people have heard of enough to get their foot in the door right now while they start scouting for homegrown guys to be that nucleus to build around when they are firmly on their feet. 

The difference is, people actually know who Tim Storm is now - at least more than before - which speaks to how well Billy and Lagana have promoted the NWA compared to past regimes. Pairing Tim up against "bigger names" like Aldis and having him win those matches is a very good strategy, along with all of the YouTube videos they're doing.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

His TNA run to the title is an all-time great face run. Easily my favorite thing TNA ever did.

Fair enough. I didn't see it, but I heard great things. It's a shame TNA had to be TNA and ruin it. I remember the magic and buzz around Aries' reign at the time. I'm not saying he would've saved the promotion singlehandedly, but it did seem they were onto something with him.

So why was Aries such a terrible babyface in NXT and to a lesser extent WWE? Now, maybe it's only me who thought so? But he was so smug and impossible to cheer IMO. Great heel for sure, but I didn't buy him as a babyface in NXT or WWE.

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Co-signed. Perfect all the way around, absolutey loved that run, build, and match(es). Aries would be my be pick for wrestler of the year that year.

Him or Roode. That was the only time I actually thought TNA was real honest competition. Roode was the perfect jackass "good but cowardly" heel Ace, A Double was the perfect underdog who finally put the arrogant prick down...

Then they LOLTNA'D it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Him or Roode. That was the only time I actually thought TNA was real honest competition. Roode was the perfect jackass "good but cowardly" heel Ace, A Double was the perfect underdog who finally put the arrogant prick down...

Then they LOLTNA'D it.

Agreed. I loved Roode's reign, always having different clever ways of retaining the title each month.. really great matches against a wide variety of opponents. Aries winning at Destination X felt like a true defining starmaking moment, the biggest one in TNA for sure. I was excited at the idea of Aries/Hardy at the time but hated how they rushed/forced Aries heel turn like a week before BFG.

I've always liked Aries as a babyface. Aries/Neville might've been my personal favorite feud this year and the Roode/Nakamura series is near the top of my matches this year. I wish we could've got Aries/Roode in WWE one time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

I haven't seen much of him, but just hearing about him, I get a 1991 Scotty the Body vibe, which seems a weird choice for NWA champ, unless you wanted to go vulnerable. 

I like the idea of going second generation, but then the natural instinct is Cody and that's a bad, bad instinct. How is 2017 Davey Jr.. How far along is Finlay's kid?

I've seen enough of Finlay's kid to know I don't want to see him much anymore.  Aries is great but he doesn't seem to work well with others long term

19 hours ago, Thibs said:

Curious, how do they say he was ridiculous?

Anyone who watched TNA in 2016 knows that it was probably the best booking stretch they’ve ever had, so I’m hopeful in that sense.

Would approach people with wacky gimmicks, and people would be like "Don't know if you're serious..." and then it turns out he was. I remember one guy came out as Jesus Christ randomly. He was then chokeslammed of had the shit beat out of him. I can't remember the exact details. The crowd and people working the show were like "what the fuck is this?" and then there was Billy on the floor laughing his ass off. I think some of this was a disconnect that comes with dealing with someone who is terribly famous and successful. It's like "how do I tell this guy 'No'? Last week I was working in southern Indiana for a 25 bucks and a left over concession stand hotdog."

When R-Pro started he was promoting as a potential "feeder" league to TNA and/or WWE. He made a big deal about having Stephanie's cell phone number. The only person who got called up to a major promotion was Jay Bradley(who was awesome in R-Pro), and they didn't even really use him. I think he was under a hood during that weird outlaw faction angle that I think Jarrett was in. I can't remember.

He's just an odd dude, and people's experiences working with him were like "I don't know if he knows what the fuck he's talking about, but he made Siamese Dream and is more famous than I'll probably ever be, so I'll go with it." And a lot of that stuff didn't work out. 

When I first heard about Broken Matt Hardy, I thought that was the most Billy Corgan thing I'd ever heard. I don't know how much of that was him and how much was Matt, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shit they did was based on hanging out with Billy. 

I never heard a story of him being mean or shitty to the wrestlers. I think he genuinely wants to do something cool with wrestling, and I think really respects what wrestlers go through to do what they do. And I think like Vince some of those ideas suck and some of them are great. A good example would be the DH Smith title reign that was perfect old school style wrestling with build to a cage match. That was awesome. The overbooking of matches and overly wacky gimmicks were shitty. I imagine if his TNA run was great it's because he was working with guys who were maybe more secure in what they were doing and what they wanted to offer. 

That first year of Resistance Pro was a good, bad, and ugly experience and the stories I got out of it were great. I mean how many times do you get write about wrestling and find out the lead singer of a band you loved doesn't like you? 

• Like 1

I am not surprised.

Spoiler

Jocephus is a former Rev Pro champ, so Corgan is calling up his boys to fluff the NWA roster.

How cost effective of Corgan to call in this guy.  He doesn't have to pay for entrance music licensing since Jocephus came to the ring to Superchrist by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Billy's making some smart decisions, but I'll get excited when Damian Wayne or Preston Quinn shows up on a card.

Chance Prophet just tweeted fifteen hours ago that he's accepting bookings for the rest of 2017 and for 2018.  Your former NWA Bluegrass Heavyweight Champion is fishing for new business..... or maybe old business..

40 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For those who won't/can't watch the video it's

Hide contents

Jocephus

Loved that. 

Here’s Corgan on X-Pac’s podcast talking more about his vision. He’s going to focus on bigger guys and try to recreate the old NWA bruiser style and get away from the spotfests style that everyone else is doing. Never seen Jocephus but i guess he fits that mold. Would love to see them bring in Bram for this.

Also it appears they are going to do Storm/Aldis II in December as they are doing an angle where Storm realized that his foot was in the ropes on his pinfall and "doesn't want to win that way" and is granting Aldis a rematch

Controversy = Rematch

I am impressed that Corgan keeps the spotlight on the importance of the belt by having Tim Storm grant Aldis a rematch because he does not want to dishonor the title with a shit finish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thibs said:

Loved that. 

Here’s Corgan on X-Pac’s podcast talking more about his vision. He’s going to focus on bigger guys and try to recreate the old NWA bruiser style and get away from the spotfests style that everyone else is doing. Never seen Jocephus but i guess he fits that mold. Would love to see them bring in Bram for this.

Jocephus was really fun to watch back an R Pro. Haven't seen him in a while, but he was kinda like a Bruiser Brodie clone. I think he was the guy who beat up the Jesus Christ impersonator I mentioned earlier. 

I really like the idea of moving away from spotty stuff. We got more than enough of that.

• Like 1

Okay so I watched the Jocephus challenge video and I guess they're going with him being a professor by day and a wrestler at night. 

I'm intrigued with this new NWA that went from being world class athletes vying for supremacy to a Dissatisfied Teacher's Fight Club.

I kinda hope all wrestlers get a gimmick that is their day job.

Scott is a manager at Shoney's Restaurant. He's not great at math but he knows the odds of him winning are in his favor. Can he serve up the punishment like he serves up a country fried steak with all the fixings? Find out tonight on NWA Wrestling!

And later tonight! .... Taylor has been slinging shades at the Sunglasses Hut in her local mall, but tonight she's throwing shade at our women's champion! What will our champion have to say about Taylor's wild accusations! Find out later tonight.... or on youtube if the men's matches run long.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Heres Jocephus wrestling for those  like myself who know very little if nothing about. Like Jademc stated he's very Bruiser Brodyish, it's even in his namesake here. But him and Jarrett have a good match here.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Controversy = Rematch

I am impressed that Corgan keeps the spotlight on the importance of the belt by having Tim Storm grant Aldis a rematch because he does not want to dishonor the title with a shit finish.

He’s the ultimate babyface. I mean truthfully— is there another babyface in all of wrestling that is as likeable as Tim Storm is right now?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Okay so I watched the Jocephus challenge video and I guess they're going with him being a professor by day and a wrestler at night. 

I'm intrigued with this new NWA that went from being world class athletes vying for supremacy to a Dissatisfied Teacher's Fight Club.

Don't give Matt Striker any ideas.

More awesome promo work from this Josephus character 

I find it pretty cool that Corgan hasn’t put a dime into this thing yet and it’s already developing a following off of basic YouTube videos, a twitter account and Facebook page. 

If anybody should be doing a messiah gimmick, it's Jocephus. Maybe Billy Corgan can do a cover of the Jesus Christ Superstar theme song for Jocephus.

Looking back, I love Jesus Christ Superstar being used for Don Muraco during his face run as "The Rock".