DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

I got to see Aries against Joe at an NXT show in May of 2016 and they tore the house down. I'd love to see Aries get treated like the world championship caliber guy he is. With that said, TV wrestling and house show wrestling work with two different sets of rules.

Aries would be the perfect guy to crush Storm's dreams.

I watched the match and I want to be nice to it given how the promotion for it was, but I wasn't feeling it at all. Felt like the worst match you'd see on a Raw that already dragged for 2 and a half hours. This was also my first time seeing Storm wrestle. Magnus/Aldis has a good look, but I don't think he's the right guy to run with the title now so in that sense, the right guy went over.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

I got to see Aries against Joe at an NXT show in May of 2016 and they tore the house down. I'd love to see Aries get treated like the world championship caliber guy he is. With that said, TV wrestling and house show wrestling work with two different sets of rules.

I saw Aries team with Joe against Tye and Nakamura and he was the best guy on the show.  I have heard people ask over the years who could replace Jericho has a guy that they can use as a heel or face up and down the card, to anchor a Rumble or help get a new guy over and used to the style,  and I think the answer was Aries. And they blew it. 

That said, because they blew it and because he is currently slotted in the minds of the casual fanbase as a cruiserweight, I don’t think is the right choice for the NWA in 2017. Maybe after he rehabs himself for a bit.

• Like 1

Aries is not a guy you build a promotion around. I think (and hope) Corgan and Lagana are smart enough to find their own homegrown guy to beat Tim Storm. I was so afraid they'd jump the gun and go with Nick Aldis, who still has the stench of TNA all over him, just like Aries has the stench of the failed WWE Cruiserweight division all over him. Does that mean those guys can't be valuable players in the NWA? Of course not. But I don't think either of them are the solution for the World's Heavyweight Title picture - at least not in the next 6-12 months as this gets off the ground. Someone young and fresh, someone who feels like a genuine discovery, needs to be the one to unseat Tim Storm. Whether that person exists, who knows, but Aries and Aldis aren't the answer.

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

Aries is not a guy you build a promotion around. I think (and hope) Corgan and Lagana are smart enough to find their own homegrown guy to beat Tim Storm. I was so afraid they'd jump the gun and go with Nick Aldis, who still has the stench of TNA all over him, just like Aries has the stench of the failed WWE Cruiserweight division all over him. Does that mean those guys can't be valuable players in the NWA? Of course not. But I don't think either of them are the solution for the World's Heavyweight Title picture - at least not in the next 6-12 months as this gets off the ground. Someone young and fresh, someone who feels like a genuine discovery, needs to be the one to unseat Tim Storm. Whether that person exists, who knows, but Aries and Aldis aren't the answer.

Maybe because I've been following Aries since 2004, I don't feel like he has the stench of WWE cruiserweight on him. I'm really surprised Aries even went to WWE in the first place. When I hear the name Austin Aries, I think ROH, PWG, and a lesser extent TNA. I still feel like we're going to get Aries back in ROH and possibly Impact since Jarrett is out of the picture again.

Someone like Alberto El Perro...he has the stench of WWE all over him.

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Wasn't Davey Smith Jr. in Resistance Pro?

YO @jaedmc, drop some Resistance Pro knowledge on us.

An given that Aries is from Milwaukee/Wrigleyville North, I don't see why Corgan wouldn't look to him.

As for building a promotion around anyone, why not Aries? He's a better promo than just about anyone else out there. He's one of the best wrestlers in the world. He can be a good babyface or a fucking dick as a heel. Finding someone "homegrown" to do what Aries could do is going to be difficult and there's no reason why you couldn't give Aries a run to have a guy that looks like a star, wrestles like a star, and talks like a star while you're grooming someone else that's as homegrown as you could get.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe because I've been following Aries since 2004, I don't feel like he has the stench of WWE cruiserweight on him. I'm really surprised Aries even went to WWE in the first place. When I hear the name Austin Aries, I think ROH, PWG and a lesser extent TNA. I still feel like we're going to get Aries back in ROH and possibly Impact since Jarrett is out of the picture again.

Someone like Alberto El Perro...he has the stench of WWE all over him.

Agreed about Alberto, who has the double-stench of not only WWE but also Impact.

But if Corgan and Lagana are looking for a fresh young talent to upset Tim Storm (and I have no idea if that's the case - I'm only speculating), Aries is not the guy to go with IMO.

Does that mean I don't think Aries should be positioned as a valuable part of the NWA? No, if he's available, he'd definitely be an asset.

I just don't think he's the right choice within the next 6-12 months to unseat Storm. They need to make a statement with that, and looking toward anyone who has been marginalized or devalued in other promotions isn't the answer IMO. Eventually, maybe, but not yet.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

An given that Aries is from Milwaukee/Wrigleyville North, I don't see why Corgan wouldn't look to him.

As for building a promotion around anyone, why not Aries? He's a better promo than just about anyone else out there. He's one of the best wrestlers in the world. He can be a good babyface or a fucking dick as a heel. Finding someone "homegrown" to do what Aries could do is going to be difficult and there's no reason why you couldn't give Aries a run to have a guy that looks like a star, wrestles like a star, and talks like a star while you're grooming someone else that's as homegrown as you could get.

I thought Aries was one of the worst babyfaces I've ever seen in my life when he was in NXT. Now, maybe they were doing a stealth build toward his eventual heel turn there - I don't know - but it didn't work for me at all. Aries fared slightly better as a babyface on the main roster against Neville, but even that felt like an ill-fit to me. As a heel though, absolutely he's fantastic.

Like I said above, I don't think WWE or TNA castoffs are the answer for who should unseat Tim Storm. Finding a "homegrown" star to do it is easier said than done, but it's the better move IMO if the NWA wants to establish its own identity. That doesn't mean I don't think Aries, Aldis, etc. can't be valuable players down the road - they can be.

The clamoring for “home grown stars” only takes place when a company is pushing guys who aren’t up to snuff as workers in their opinion.

When it comes to a guy like Aries who’s an internet darling for his work, people are perfectly okay pushing a guy who’s almost 40 and is a castoff from multiple other promotions as the main guy.

• Like 1

Joey Janela might be a good choice actually. He's hot right now dude and he can be a traveling champion as he works all over the place (AIW, Beyond, CZW and PWG just to name a few) and he could give the Championship some exposure among the Indie fans. 

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Joey Janela might be a good choice actually. He's hot right now dude and he can be a traveling champion as he works all over the place (AIW, Beyond, CZW and PWG just to name a few) and he could give the Championship some exposure among the Indie fans. 

I haven't seen much of him, but just hearing about him, I get a 1991 Scotty the Body vibe, which seems a weird choice for NWA champ, unless you wanted to go vulnerable. 

I like the idea of going second generation, but then the natural instinct is Cody and that's a bad, bad instinct. How is 2017 Davey Jr.. How far along is Finlay's kid?

Finlay acquits himself well in lower-card tags, but that's basically all New Japan asks him to do. He's going to be part of the tag league that's coming up, and since he's tagging with Kitamura--the roided young lion--he'll have to carry more of the matches, and might have an opportunity to show a little more. Still, considering he's only 24, he's pretty sharp and sound. I think he's actually contracted to New Japan though, so I don't know that he'd be available to the NWA.

DBS Jr. is one half of the IWGP tag champs, but I wouldn't trust him to carry a singles match past ten minutes.

On the subject of big gaijin, though, let me throw out Joe Doering. He's good, and now a two-time Triple Crown champ--so, credible and used to working main events--and All Japan doesn't have any complications regarding commitments to American feds (that I know of).

• Like 1

The problem with a homegrown guy as the NWA Champion is that building around homegrown guys was the whole reason the NWA fell into disarray under Bruce Tharpe, solely because he DID try to build around "his homegrown guys" and no one gave a shit about any of them, because no one had heard of any of them. 

A WWE castoff is a necessary evil right now, because they're just the only people who most people have heard of enough to get their foot in the door right now while they start scouting for homegrown guys to be that nucleus to build around when they are firmly on their feet. 

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

On the subject of big gaijin, though, let me throw out Joe Doering. He's good, and now a two-time Triple Crown champ--so, credible and used to working main events--and All Japan doesn't have any complications regarding commitments to American feds (that I know of).

Doering is a great choice, I hadn't thought of him. I haven't watched really any AJPW since Akiyama won the TC the first time, do you think that they are going to run with Doering for a while, or is he just a credible name who is there to drop it back to Suwama at some point in the very near future?

EDIT - I also had not considered the comeback from the brain tumor, so the comeback / redemption story is also there for Doering, plus I know they held the tag straps together. I have no idea if any of that is being referenced, but it is all there for as to why they went back to him to carry the title.

Edited by grilledcheese
Additional thoughts

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Harry Smith  was champion of Resistance Pro. He was great. Had good matches with Rhino. There were a few guys who weren't WWE guys that would be quality guys to build he midcard around. Only a couple looked like possible world champions you could build around. Davey was the best bet because he looked and moved legit as fuck. 

However I imagine lots of guys from the old days of Resistance Pro are weary of working Corgan again. From what I understood during my year of covering his first foray in the biz, the money was good but he was ridiculous. 

Haven't seen the new NWA shit yet. But I'm not super hopeful. Maybe working with TNA made him better? Does that happen?

If he brought in Da Soul Touchaz I'd be on board.

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

I thought Aries was one of the worst babyfaces I've ever seen in my life when he was in NXT. Now, maybe they were doing a stealth build toward his eventual heel turn there - I don't know - but it didn't work for me at all. Aries fared slightly better as a babyface on the main roster against Neville, but even that felt like an ill-fit to me. As a heel though, absolutely he's fantastic.

His TNA run to the title is an all-time great face run. Easily my favorite thing TNA ever did.

• Like 3

Just watched the match and really enjoyed it. Definitely had a big fight feel and very glad that they didn't do the immediate title switch to Aldis. Even though Storm's been champion for over a year, I hope he gets to hold it awhile longer now with so many more eyes on his reign. The story of how long can the old vet hang on can be a fun one to follow.

I think last year's NWA Parade of Champions included a lot of talents I'd like to see be used in this new NWA and a lot of the current/recent champions with the main titles would be good fits.

• Like 1