DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

7 hours ago, Web Conn said:

I get focusing on the World Title but they could show some focus to the tag, womens and jr heavyweight championships. Why not showcase all your champions?

My guess would be limited time and and using the most recognizable symbol of the company and that's the world title belt as the frst foot forward.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Joey Janela and Gunner are the two big names I saw on Twitter trying to angle their way into a title shot

Dear Gunner,

You are not in TNA anymore.

Please go back to being Phil Shatter,

Rgds.

JT

And yeah, I thought that Gunner signed a developmental deal with WWE and jobbed to No Way Jose in NXT.  Is he already calling it quits?

3 hours ago, Ramsey said:

My guess would be limited time and and using the most recognizable symbol of the company and that's the world title belt as the frst foot forward.

The NWA doesn't even have control over all its physical belts at this point - ECCW still has the NWA Canadian heavyweight championship belt in its possession, which it uses as a non-branded title, having withdrawn from the NWA/lost its NWA affiliation when everyone else did (depending who you talk to).  The last I had heard, the pre-Corgan NWA contacted them to get the belt back, and the response was basically "come and get it".  

The belt had actually been dinged up enough to require touch-up of the paint (which I actually did a fair portion of) and a full releathering (done at ECCW's expense by a "local belt maker in the area" - @Marty Sugar knows who I mean)

• Like 1

I wouldn’t even bother with those belts. Focus on the 10 pounds of gold for the time being and introduce new belts as you go.

As for other belts being used under the NWA name— they can easily solve that with a cease and desist.

James Storm is a good option but what about some of the WWE cast offs like Austin Aries and maybe Neville. Maybe that would be too TNA of them (and they're both junior heavyweights, I know) but damn that's some good talent looking for a home. Heck, Aries has already been a heavyweight champ before and is well traveled enough that he wouldn't be classified as a strictly WWE guy. You could even blame his series of losses to Neville on returning from injury and not being prepared.

But if they want to keep the weight classes distinct, why not snap up Keith Lee? He doesn't have to do his PWG schtick all the time, does he?

For the sake of clarity - I found out that it is Gunner Miller who wants a shot. Not Gunner from TNA... currently in WWE development under his real name

That makes a lot more sense

That Storm/Aldis match was very good for the first 10 minutes or so...then it turned into two guys without the legs to carry an 18-minute match. One of them is too old to go that long, and the other clearly hasn't been in the ring as much as he used to since leaving TNA. They were both clearly fucking exhausted and trying too much at the end to make what they thought would be an "epic" World Title match. The ideas were there, but the bodies were unable to keep up. The finish fell apart because, quite frankly, Storm was too tired...and realizing he was out of position for the sneaky win, said Fuck It. Unfortunate ending.

• Like 1

As someone who as recently as six weeks ago was making fun of Tim Storm, these videos actually did a fantastic job of rehabbing him for the audience they are shooting for and I was pleasantly surprised to see him retain the title.

I am actually now of the mindset that instead of having him do defenses every weekend on any Indy that will book him, they should just have him do 1-2 strategically booked defenses per month for the next few months against hot indy names like Janela and Gunner Murphy and build those defenses up with similar YouTube videos, until he finally gets beaten by a name that is big enough to get some recognition - like a James Storm or an Austin Aries - perhaps at Wrestlecon Supershow over Mania weekend.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

James Storm is a good option but what about some of the WWE cast offs like Austin Aries and maybe Neville. Maybe that would be too TNA of them (and they're both junior heavyweights, I know) but damn that's some good talent looking for a home. Heck, Aries has already been a heavyweight champ before and is well traveled enough that he wouldn't be classified as a strictly WWE guy. You could even blame his series of losses to Neville on returning from injury and not being prepared.

But if they want to keep the weight classes distinct, why not snap up Keith Lee? He doesn't have to do his PWG schtick all the time, does he?

Honestly, if Corgan wants to prove he means business, he'd probably have to go for the WWE castoffs to show he's willing to compete with WWE and TNA.

Wrestling's a star system- you need big stars to get people to care, and WWE castoffs are the biggest STARS he could get.

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hate the term WWE cast off used to describe Austin Aries. I'd go with insanely talented indy star used in a piss poor fashion by WWE. I admit, a bit long winded...

“Charismatic vanilla midget journeyman?”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

“Charismatic vanilla midget journeyman?”

Matt: Wouldn't "charismatic" mitigate "vanilla"? I'm not a huge Aries fan, but he's better than that.

• Like 1

He's a living contradiction, what can I tell you? I was being flippant. In all seriousness, I think Aries would make for a very good old style travelling NWA champ, someone able to play both heel or face depending on the local challenger, able to stooge and play vulnerable over the span of a week in order to make it seem like the local hero had a chance, etc., but that's not what they're trying to do. For what they seem to be trying to do, I honestly think the size hurts him. If they're going to go with a junior, then they probably have to go full Osprey to stand out to a more casual fanbase and no one wants that, me least of all. Theoretically, they could play up the whole vegan hipster thing because Corgan's gone on record on wanting to aim young, but that sort of plays against what Aries brings to the table best of all as a traditional style NWA champ. Size doesn't always matter. Usually, it doesn't or at least it shouldn't. I think in this specific case, it probably does.