DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

On 10/23/2017 at 11:43 PM, Web Conn said:

I said this in the TNA thread but I'll say it again. Corgan and Lagana have made Tim Storm and the NWA Championship look more important in 3 weeks then Tharpe and the old guard did in the past year. I guess the mentality is that the Champion should look important to make Aldos winning the Championship look like a big deal.

Does anyone have any questions beyond "Who are you?" or "Did you pay to be champion like Otto Wanz?".

On the Fight Network they were showing tapes of Traditional Championship Wrestling from a few years ago and Tim Storm was the big wheel there.  He teamed up with Scott Steiner on one episode and claimed they went waaaay back.  The only cool thing about that show was they busted out a replica of the gigantic old Mid-South North American Championship belt for their main strap.

11 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

On the Fight Network they were showing tapes of Traditional Championship Wrestling from a few years ago and Tim Storm was the big wheel there.  He teamed up with Scott Steiner on one episode and claimed they went waaaay back.  The only cool thing about that show was they busted out a replica of the gigantic old Mid-South North American Championship belt for their main strap.

FALSE! They also ran an awesome Chris Masters vs. Lance Hoyt match. So that's at least TWO cool things. Oh, and they made me buy into Michael Tarver. Not sure that's a plus.

2 hours ago, Concrete said:

FALSE! They also ran an awesome Chris Masters vs. Lance Hoyt match. So that's at least TWO cool things. Oh, and they made me buy into Michael Tarver. Not sure that's a plus.

I once saw Michael Tarver wrestle Jax Dane live, and lived to tell the tale.

3 hours ago, Concrete said:

They had Jason Kinkaid matches before Jason Kinkaid became cool. They also had Roosevelt the Dog.

So I was on YouTube trying to find Tim Storm wrestling someone absurd and as with a career as long as his it is going to happen. And low and behold he wrestled Big Daddy V on an episode of ECW on Sci-Fi.

• Like 1

Storm is a pretty big guy since Vis did not engulf him. 

TCW also had Shane Williams as champion, who is one of the best guys on the indy circuit. He had a really good match with Chris Masters there. I also saw him have a great match with Harry Smith in Crossfire. 

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

So I was on YouTube trying to find Tim Storm wrestling someone absurd and as with a career as long as his it is going to happen. And low and behold he wrestled Big Daddy V on an episode of ECW on Sci-Fi.

Thanks for reminding me how much I hated WWECW.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Super Weak Machine said:

I vaguely remember seeing him win the PCW Heavyweight Championship down here in Arlington about a dozen years ago.

Other notables on that card, now that I went back and looked it up, were Robert Evans, Mr. Texas (Hernandez) and Shadow (Lance Vance Archer-Hoyt).

Good times! PCW was awesome.

2 hours ago, Victator said:

Storm is a pretty big guy since Vis did not engulf him. 

TCW also had Shane Williams as champion, who is one of the best guys on the indy circuit. He had a really good match with Chris Masters there. I also saw him have a great match with Harry Smith in Crossfire. 

I like Shane as well, sad he isn't doing much outside of working for Paul Lee's promotion (for those that don't know he's the guy who does the Ric Flair tribute gimmick)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If they were going to put the title on a grizzled-looking older dude, I have to admit that I'm disappointed they didn't find Frank The Tank Parker or Scotty Blaze.

Lawlor would be a good pick, I've said it before. They're telegraphing Aldos winning the title so hard right now. I don't think he's a bad choice he has name value and is recognisable to the crowd they want to attract. I also see with him doing Championship Wrestling from Hollywood tapings Jack Swagger getting a run with the championship too. I'd like to see Lawlor get a run maybe if we're lucky he's one of the wrestlers Corgan and Lagana have been in contact with in regards to running shows next spring.

Lawlor's MMA cred might actually work against him in this context. He's a 10-6-0-1 fighter who never made it into the top 15 as a Light Heavyweight or Middleweight, so to put him as World Heavyweight Champion makes Wrestling look weak by comparison. If anyone's bothered by that sort of thing any more.

42 minutes ago, Ace said:

If you'e going for a MMA fighter, why not Riddle? He has a shitload more buzz than Lawlor does.

I feel like Lawlor's getting increasingly more buzz this year, actually, and Riddle is leveling out a bit. But that could just be my circles.