DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

9 hours ago, AxB said:

So basically what Christina Von Oi did, except doing a whole taping instead of just one match? They're trying to sell ONO's of the GFW tournaments and they've already made the eventual winners of those tourneys look weak compared to the current TNA roster.

When I first read this I thought you had confused Christina Von Eerie with Jenna Von Oy from Blossom. 

I still kinda want to think that's what happened...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I forgot her last name. Because 'Eerie' is a goth name, and she's not doing anything Goth at ll in her gimmick. Von Oi fits her better.

Just listened to the We Don't Know Wrestling Lagana interview. The whole thing was in "in the internet age options are limitless" speak. I still haven't the slightest idea what they're trying to do other than something. They definitely want to do something.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:35 AM, JohnnyJ said:

Just listened to the We Don't Know Wrestling Lagana interview. The whole thing was in "in the internet age options are limitless" speak. I still haven't the slightest idea what they're trying to do other than something. They definitely want to do something.

I definitely got the “something” vibe. But never the less I’m intrigued.

On 10/1/2017 at 4:46 AM, AxB said:

I forgot her last name. Because 'Eerie' is a goth name, and she's not doing anything Goth at ll in her gimmick. Von Oi fits her better.

She used to do a full-on punk/goth/freak gimmick. She still comes to the ring in a pig mask on occasion. Gimmicks evolve.

EDIT: I liked Storm's suited look when he came out as NWA Champion. Very old school, very Nick Bockwinkle. Liked the progression of his promo and the tempo. Obviously the "I'm never letting this go" is a stupid line but that's nitpicky because we all know whomever Corgan has lined up to be his guy (Aldis, Bradley, etc.), is taking it right away...maybe even in a Rogers/Sammartino type of quickie.

• Like 1

Billy Corgan was on the busted open radio show to discuss purchasing the NWA and what his plans are. I thought it was a good interview. There seems to be some kind of plan. If you don't want to listen to the whole 17 minute interview heres the highlights:

Tentative plan is to have a weekly internet show running by Spring of '18

No more NWA Affiliate Promotions

It's not stated outright but it seems as if the NWA are going to have a working relationship with Dave Marquez and CWFH to push angles and get the name out until they start up officially.

Dave Lagana once wrote for Friends

Corgan keeps putting over Decay like the best thing since slice bread cuz he had his hands in it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Billy Corgan was on the busted open radio show to discuss purchasing the NWA and what his plans are. I thought it was a good interview. There seems to be some kind of plan. If you don't want to listen to the whole 17 minute interview heres the highlights:

Tentative plan is to have a weekly internet show running by Spring of '18

No more NWA Affiliate Promotions

It's not stated outright but it seems as if the NWA are going to have a working relationship with Dave Marquez and CWFH to push angles and get the name out until they start up officially.

Dave Lagana once wrote for Friends

Corgan keeps putting over Decay like the best thing since slice bread cuz he had his hands in it

He mentioned Decay briefly one time, making the larger point that you can take a talent who isn’t doing much (crazy Steve), repackage then, and have success.

I’m looking forward to this. We’re probably going to need a new logo and other ways to freshen up the look a bit. 

If I’m Impact, I might be a bit nervous that some of our talent my jump on this thing given the positives they’ve had while working with Corgan. Rosemary, EC3, Drake, Moose, Eddie Edwards, Lashley could all be looking once their contracts are up. 

I was trying to be funny about Decay and how proud he is of his angle as any of us would but it didn't land.

I'm excited too. It has potential and I hope it works out. I don't think it's going to take over the world but I hope it gains an audience and becomes something. 

I like that they’re starting this off by strictly focusing on 

1) The NWA brand

2)The NWA title and the history behind it

If you look at all of their new social media pages they just launched, there’s heavy emphasis on the “10 pounds of gold”.

Its logical and is a good way to re-educate fans. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:26 PM, Marty Sugar said:

She used to do a full-on punk/goth/freak gimmick. She still comes to the ring in a pig mask on occasion. Gimmicks evolve.

She used to date Jesse Neal.  Nothing is more goth than living on food stamps.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, Matt D said:

Anything about the library?

This was all Meltzer said about it in the latest WON

As far as what happens with the Houston library, that’s up in the air, but as noted, the streaming service is done. They only had about 250 subscribers so the feeling is it makes no sense to keep it behind a pay wall. The price the Boesch family has wanted to sell the library, which does have a lot of great footage, is still more than anyone is willing to pay to buy it outright, as when they’ve had talks in the past with WWE, they have been far apart on price

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This was all Meltzer said about it in the latest WON

Honestly, when you read that, it makes zero sense for them to continue to convert the footage unless Billy just wants to have all of it done for his own enjoyment. They have hundreds of matches that only 250 people have seen. Of those, if they're trying to use this to enhance the NWA brand, some just don't make any sense to show. A Nick Kozak vs Mr. Hito undercard match from 81 could be a great historical look at older Kozak (who we don't have a ton of) and fairly entertaining but it doesn't do a thing to forward the brand. It doesn't serve their business interests at all. And that's a pretty fun match. Something like the Dick Slater vs Evan Johnson match that was one of the last things to go up was a look at Johnson, who was total flash-in-the-pan was a terrible match of the sorts I've never actually seen before (where Johnson wasn't cooperating but Slater was doing everything he could to try to make it work despite that) AND was part of the Gold Cup. But it was terrible and would make no sense for Corgan to post on youtube, even if I was really glad we had it.

This is a really well done video. The NWA and the Championship seem important. This video made me like Tim Storm and I've never seen a match of his. You can tell how proud he is to be NWA Champion and what an accomplishment it is to him. More videos like this will bring prestige back to the NWA.

• Like 1

I said this in the TNA thread but I'll say it again. Corgan and Lagana have made Tim Storm and the NWA Championship look more important in 3 weeks then Tharpe and the old guard did in the past year. I guess the mentality is that the Champion should look important to make Aldos winning the Championship look like a big deal.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:43 PM, Web Conn said:

I said this in the TNA thread but I'll say it again. Corgan and Lagana have made Tim Storm and the NWA Championship look more important in 3 weeks then Tharpe and the old guard did in the past year. I guess the mentality is that the Champion should look important to make Aldos winning the Championship look like a big deal.

Does anyone have any questions beyond "Who are you?" or "Did you pay to be champion like Otto Wanz?".