DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

14 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Historically, professional wrestling, with its screaming neon lunatics, potbellied big daddies, and tasseled "ring rats," has been considered too absurd to be taken seriously—deprecated by sportswriters and ignored by politicians, its fans derided as low-class marks.

This—the notion that pro wrestling is a fixed, low-rent travesty, undeserving of serious mainstream scrutiny—is the single greatest angle ever sold by the wrestling industry.

Awesome article.  The quoted part above is so true.  Someone in another thread was talking about the media hopefully taking notice of the whole Corbin/Maroon issue and my response to them was. essentially, this. 

Looks like Tim Storms reign as Champion might be coming to an end ... long live the King

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/new-day-comments-winning-smackdown-tag-team-titles-jerry-lawler-set-nwa-title-match

WWE Hall of Famer Jerry “The King” Lawler is scheduled to challenge Tim Storm for the NWA World Championship at the CWA Wrestle Raise III event this Saturday at the Hot Springs Convention Center in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

The event titled “Abbymania” is a fundraiser for Abby McKenzie and will also feature and appearance from former WWE and WCW superstar Chavo Guerrero. Tickets for the event are available at CWATickets.com.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

In all actuality I think Tom Lawlor would make a perfectly acceptable traveling NWA Champion.

I'd be more than happy with that.  Tom seems like a pretty good dude and from what I heard isn't terrible by any means.  That plus whatever name recognition he has could make a pretty good case for traveling champion.

56 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'd be more than happy with that.  Tom seems like a pretty good dude and from what I heard isn't terrible by any means.  That plus whatever name recognition he has could make a pretty good case for traveling champion.

Dude's wrestling all over the place he isn't terrible, getting better, huge fan, I spoke to him briefly after the 14th Anniversary ROH show in Vegas and he's a super cool dude. He was there with Meltzer. Like I said he's wrestling all over the country and he could get the NWA name out there more so than Tim Storm. Plus he is a shooter not that it matters a smuch any more but you'd be hard press to go into business for yourself. He could make you tap weather you wanted to or not. 

• Like 1

On September 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM, mattdangerously said:

Yeah, I was more referring to its kayfabe history. A lot of great moments have happened in the NWA territories. The organization has always been filled with shitty carnies but they, at one time at least, put on some of the most entertaining professional wrestling ever seen. I also prefer old school southern wrestling over all other forms so I admit my bias there.

Also, Jerry Lawler as NWA World Champion is 30 years too late but it'd be a decent mark out moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Per Dave - this is all finally official on Oct 1

Billy Corgan will be taking over ownership of the NWA on 10/1. All of the NWA affiliate promoters won’t be able to use the name unless authorized by Corgan, and his ideas aren’t to use the name for indie promoters to use, although David Marquez’s group, Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, will probably use the name. They did an angle on Marquez’s show where Tim Storm, who was the NWA champion, was confronted by Nick Aldis, which makes Aldis favored to get the title since Storm is from the old regime. Regarding the NWA on Demand streaming service and the Paul Boesch Houston wrestling library, that service will be discontinued next week. The site was run by Bruce Tharpe and he has to shut it down by 10/1. As part of the NWA sale purchase, Corgan owns the licensing agreement to market the Houston library and he would be in control of how to use it in the future. Valerie Boesch still owns the actual library. The reason the service was set up was because Tharpe had tried to sell the library to WWE, but the offer was so low that they felt more people could see it since WWE likely wouldn’t release most of it, and they could make more money on it from doing their own streaming service. But the number of subscribers to the service wasn’t significant

Again, if they had sold to Vince, we probably would have seen 2-5 of the matches in the library so far as part of the Uncovered Gems collections or what not. I'm leaning far closer to 2 than to 5 over a span of two or three years. As it was, we got hundreds of uncovered matches from the earlier era and a number of matches from the Watts era Mid-South and UWF that we only had clipped before. Considering how rare arena footage tends to be, especially with good VQ and the majority of cards, it can't be understated just what we had, just like it can't be understated what we lost by the service not going a few more years. The highlights are the highlights (maybe the best NWA title match on tape, Andre vs Race, more new 70s Funk, a good look at the Spoiler, young heel Brody before he started to phone it in, Lothario, the Lewin face turn, tons of Gino and Gino/Tully, Bock as a travelling champ, etc), but even more valuable was the week to week and year to year stuff which has painted an amazing textual picture of Boesch and Houston as a pro wrestling town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is Aldis even still in TNA? Because he was all over the TV before the India tour talking about how being GFW Champion gave him the golden ticket to the main event of Bound for Glory, but then dropped the title to Delberto Al Patron right before the Indian tapings, then wan't on those shows, or the ones back in Florida after India, or on the PPV, or the taping after that... does he still work there or not, like?

So basically what Christina Von Oi did, except doing a whole taping instead of just one match? They're trying to sell ONO's of the GFW tournaments and they've already made the eventual winners of those tourneys look weak compared to the current TNA roster.

15 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

I honestly just want the NWA put out of its misery. Tim Storm is a fucking disgrace and it hurts my eyes to see him with the ten pounds of gold.

I'd rather have Roman Reigns with the 10 pounds of gold than the miserable sack of shit carrying it now.

I'm probably biased because I've watched him for years but what's wrong with Tim Storm? Other than being up there in age, I dig the grizzled vet as NWA Champ. He's always been solid in the ring and looks good for his age.

• Like 2