DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

On September 6, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Victator said:

I don't think the local promoters are the issue with the NWA. 

I agree. The whole thing should just be sold to Vince and the NWA should be formally killed off. The NWA World Championship hasn't meant anything since at least 1993 and it's a joke to pretend that that Tim Storm (or whoever the current champ) is actually a successor to the legacy of Thesz, Rhodes, Race, and Flair. The NWA truly died in the late 80s when Crockett made the World Title exclusive to his territory.

But I can imagine that Corgan might want greater control over the brand. The problem with owning the NWA is that Vince McMahon owns most of your history so you can't even hype your own history by showing clips of major title changes and angles from the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

Vince basically owns it now thanks to the 98 deal. 

I thought the belt was given a bit of shine during the Dan Severn era. Him winning an early UFC tourney carrying the belt was a big deal for me. Then you had guys like Ogawa, Hashimoto and Sabu with it. Even Corino treated it well. I don't know how Mike Rapada got a run. But it was a respectable time, 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Vince basically owns it now thanks to the 98 deal. 

I thought the belt was given a bit of shine during the Dan Severn era. Him winning an early UFC tourney carrying the belt was a big deal for me. Then you had guys like Ogawa, Hashimoto and Sabu with it. Even Corino treated it well. I don't know how Mike Rapada got a run. But it was a respectable time, 

IIRC, it was the same way Blue Demon Jr. got a run. Paying for it.

51 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Who is Mike Rapada?

He was a guy who use to go by the name Colorado Kid. He did pretty well on the indies in the mid 90s, the Apter mags gave him a minor push after he upset Jerry Lawler for the Unified Title. He was a regular on the Bert Prentice Nashville shows which lead to rumors about the two. He also got some work in WCW. 

35 minutes ago, Ace said:

IIRC, it was the same way Blue Demon Jr. got a run. Paying for it.

Strange Demon had to pay for it. I thought he gave the belt some shine. Most it had after the TNA era, along with Kojima and Tenzan. 

Per Wikipedia Rapada is the first American wrestler to win a match in China. So there's that.

And Rapada also wrestled Scott Hall on an episode of Worldwide

Looking back in the NWA title in the early 2000's and Corino, Hashimoto and even Severn holding the championship it looked like Zero-1 was about to become NWA Japan and that could have been a blast. And then TNA happened. Not a lot of Zero-1 discussion nowadays but it was all over the apter mags and my first exposure to Styles, Joe, Low-Ki and Dutt. So much has been made about Misawa leaving All Japan and forming NOAH but Hashimoto leaving New Japan and forming Zero-1 was impactful as well. 

34 minutes ago, Victator said:

There was an issue with Hashimoto not wanting to lose the title and that was why the NWA sent Severn. 

So why did they strip Severn of the title. Why not bring him into TNA as the champ and build towards Severn vs Shamrock, the rivalry was built in?

16 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

So why did they strip Severn of the title. Why not bring him into TNA as the champ and build towards Severn vs Shamrock, the rivalry was built in?

Because TNA IS STUPID'

Severn could not make the debut show and apparently TNA insisted on a title change. But it seems like Shamrock could still win that battle royal, then build to the Severn match. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I think it was the original plan at one point, to have Shamrock win the title from Severn. As mentioned Severn couldn't make it because he had an MMA fight the night of the first TNA show so they stripped him for being unable to defend. I think Severn was unhappy after that because he told them he'd be available the week after or the next week, just not that night. Jerry Jarrett says in his book that Shamrock didn't want to work with Severn.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Rapada is the world's worst Tommy Rich.

I think Gary Steele might be the worlds worst Tommy Rich. He beat Ogawa for the NWA World Championship.

And then dropped it back to him in a week.

56 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You think it would be the other way around. Then again, Shammy bailing on it wouldn't surprise me either. 

Did they ever match up in WWF, btw? 

They did once on Raw and in a triple threat with Owen Hart. 

Shamrock did bail on an MMA fight with Severn last year. So it has credibility. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:19 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

If Corgan is going to bring together a bunch of small promotions with some sort of TV/web streaming presence and then run it as a "real sports" type of promotion with rankings and W-L and a traveling champ, I'm all in. 

No doubt I agree with you but to some extent. Once I heard of Chainsaw web streaming in real sports

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I think it was the original plan at one point, to have Shamrock win the title from Severn. As mentioned Severn couldn't make it because he had an MMA fight the night of the first TNA show so they stripped him for being unable to defend. I think Severn was unhappy after that because he told them he'd be available the week after or the next week, just not that night. Jerry Jarrett says in his book that Shamrock didn't want to work with Severn.

See, here I thought the answer was "because LOLTNA."

It's cute that some of you think Corgan isn't just as much of a carny in his own right.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, Web Conn said:

The NWA doesn't even have a Twitter handle.

https://twitter.com/NWAWrestling

That was Tharpe's version at least.

I don't agree with wanting underperforming brands to just die and have the corpse shipped off to Vince McMahon like a lot of you but some of these NWA promotions have always just come off like they're living off of the past and it's not even their own.  Look at the branding on that Twitter and it's the NWA logo that's been around since the seventies and there's members using the Crockett-style graphics for their TV.  It just comes off like guys playing Ric Flair and trying to pretend like they're at the same level as the JCP stuff they watched when they were kids.

I heard Bill Behrens tell a story about Billy Black beating him up in the ring at the start of a show cause he didn't want to drop his title that night and Mike Rapada finds out what's going on and just goes to the ring and runs Black and his no doubt unsavory associates out of the building.  Apparently, The Colorado Kid was a shoot badass.  Also, heard that Scott Hall ran him out of WCW by teasing him incessantly about Bert Prentice so he was not a badass without feelings.

On September 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, BEN! said:

It's cute that some of you think Corgan isn't just as much of a carny in his own right.

https://twitter.com/NWAWrestling

That was Tharpe's version at least.

I don't agree with wanting underperforming brands to just die and have the corpse shipped off to Vince McMahon like a lot of you but some of these NWA promotions have always just come off like they're living off of the past and it's not even their own.  Look at the branding on that Twitter and it's the NWA logo that's been around since the seventies and there's members using the Crockett-style graphics for their TV.  It just comes off like guys playing Ric Flair and trying to pretend like they're at the same level as the JCP stuff they watched when they were kids.

I heard Bill Behrens tell a story about Billy Black beating him up in the ring at the start of a show cause he didn't want to drop his title that night and Mike Rapada finds out what's going on and just goes to the ring and runs Black and his no doubt unsavory associates out of the building.  Apparently, The Colorado Kid was a shoot badass.  Also, heard that Scott Hall ran him out of WCW by teasing him incessantly about Bert Prentice so he was not a badass without feelings.

I would want it shipped to McMahon just because he's the one person who has no profit motive to exploit it and would just let it die. The NWA, once the dominant group in pro wrestling, became an avenue through which marks with extra cash could start their own company and pretend to be Jim Crockett or Bill Watts. It's demeaning to the history of the NWA.