DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

Coincidentally or not, TNA actually became quite entertaining and watchable under Corgan's watch.  Angles made sense, guys were breaking out, newish things were being attempted.  There was actually a stretch where I'd rather watch TNA than either RAW, Smackdown or ROH.  So if that had something to do with him, I'm pulling for him to get some kind of weekly TV show and for this to get off the ground.

• Like 2

Corgan needs to do 2 things.

Get a new belt.  I love tradition and all that, but that belt is outdated, and if he wants to bring it up, at least update it so it's not the smaller than most podunk indy belts around.  It isn't 1985 anymore.

And 2, he needs to get the thing off of 52 Year Old Tim Storm and find someone to carry the promotion that won't exactly bolt on him, that he can send around to anyone working the "NWA" banner and carry the name.  I have no idea who that is that isn't locked into a bigger fed, but there has to be someone out there.

Heck - Damien Wayne is only 45 and already works with NWA

He would make an amazing person to use as a transition to the newer model

Vordell Walker is right there and only in his mid-30s

I'm all for this. I think Corgan had the wherewithal to make it work. Some kind if streaming presence is essential for it to work. I would personally just expand the NWA On Demand and make that the NWA Network. Stop the practice of just selling the rights to use the NWA imagery and mandate that they have to pay annual fees which would cover the salaries of your marquee guys and Network operations. I'm return the marquee names are on the road and travelling to all associated territories. 

It could work. 

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Heck - Damien Wayne is only 45 and already works with NWA

He would make an amazing person to use as a transition to the newer model

Vordell Walker is right there and only in his mid-30s

If Cody Rhodes isn't officially signed with anyone, I bet it wouldn't take much convincing to get him to do it.  He's young, has a name, and is actually in demand.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If Cody Rhodes isn't officially signed with anyone, I bet it wouldn't take much convincing to get him to do it.  He's young, has a name, and is actually in demand.

Plus, if he's the NWA travelling world champion, maybe the internet will stop complaining about his refusal to job.

• Like 3

This doesn't surprise me. The main reason corgan wanted to buy TNA and not start his own thing was because TNA, for all its faults, was an established company. 

Now he's got that with the NWA. I see him rebranding and probably updating the name, while at the same time using the lineage to build things up. 

I loved Corgan's run in TNA and he's exactly what the business needs-- enough if an outsider who at the same time knows the wrestling business. And he's got years of experience in entertainment, brand building, production, etc. 

Looking forward to this.

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Corgan needs to do 2 things.

Get a new belt.  I love tradition and all that, but that belt is outdated, and if he wants to bring it up, at least update it so it's not the smaller than most podunk indy belts around.  It isn't 1985 anymore.

And 2, he needs to get the thing off of 52 Year Old Tim Storm and find someone to carry the promotion that won't exactly bolt on him, that he can send around to anyone working the "NWA" banner and carry the name.  I have no idea who that is that isn't locked into a bigger fed, but there has to be someone out there.

Still, that's a plus for Corgan as NWA owner. If nothing else, he will book names that mean something- and getting the belt on someone who's in demand for indy promotions will help the show work better.

...though knowing Corgan's booking- watch as Aiden O'Shea becomes NWA Champion and his touring guy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

What's wrong with the belt? I'm not and have never been an NWA, Crockett, or whatever guy, but I see nothing wrong with using that belt. It isn't ugly or stupid looking. Everything looks outdated after a while, but I think they should keep it. 

Is the Intercontinental title outdated? It's been around for a long time, outside of that time the awful oval belt replaced it.

The big gold belt was the oval belt in this scenario. Except that was a good replacement.  

I'm rambling now so ignore me. 

I could almost see this working. Corgan makes Chicago the new central hub for the NWA. He has some promotion be the big one (well, big in small indy terms) and he could easily have a small territory system going in no time. Now, had TNA did this years and years ago way back when they had the NWA title they could have become the new central hub for a territory system before they nuked every bridge they had with every NWA fed in the country along with ROH, and other company's. But you know, it would take people with sense to do all that.

On the plus side it couldn't have cost him that much to buy all this. So its not like hes pissing away millions.

If he does, what is he actually buying? There's no national TV, so is this similar to when Bischoff wanted to buy WCW but realized he'd only be getting the name and ring equipment and not much else, since the question of archive footage  isn't resolved.

He could probably get a deal with a streaming service, some obscure channel 40% of the country gets or ...something. 

Maybe a WWEN deal. Which sounds ridiculous, but isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1

Jokes aside about who is or should be the NWA World Champion, Corgan has good rapport with Davey Boy Smith, Jr ... who embodies the old-school "touring champion" ideal in that he's not someone you'd try to fuck out of the title because he could legit tear you to pieces.

• Like 4

I would assume the dream NWA Champion for Corgan would be CM Punk, right?  Big enough mainstream name that he could garner them some immediate attention, Chicago-based, good worker etc. etc.  But that would be quite an exercise: convincing Punk to wrestle again, he seems very happy watching hockey playoffs right now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

On a related note...apparently Corgan also just bought majority stock in New Coke, Delorean, and Enron.

He also purchased a box of Dwight Gooden rookie cards as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

And a Hartford Wailers jersey. 

Nope, those are actually still very valuable.