DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

12 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If I were Corgan, I'd give New Japan a call and ask them pretty please if I could make someone on their roster the NWA champ while I figure out what the fuck I'm going to do with everything. (Davey Boy Jr needs something to do while his tag partner is injured, so why not?)  Let them put title matches on their shows for a while.  That way the title is at least somewhat visible again.  Then, when a real plan for the NWA was in place, put the belt on your touring champ.

I think this is a super idea. I don't really see why lots of people are shitting on Corgan buying, I would love to take a crack at bringing back a little bit of the shine to the NWA title.

I wonder if there are going to be any restrictions on the NWA champ making appearances in any of these indies that look like they are headed for some sort of official WWE affiliation. If you just try to book the champ against everyone that will sell tickets and put on good matches, I am all for something like that, and maybe run a streaming show as your main TV outlet? I don't know if that puts the kind of eyes on your product that you want, but it's probably the cheapest way to do it.

Cheapest way to do it and right now no one is going to pay for the NWA product I mean like a live stream they'll go to a show if the talent is good and the match ups are awesome but no one is going to shell out 20 bucks to watch on their computers. 

And im all so all far the idea of Davey Jr defending the title in New Japan. I'd also send the Tag and Jr heavyweight championships over to Japan too just to get the NWA name out their again. Shit if Corgan could work something out to get Davey Jr vs Tim Storm on one of the G-1 Special Shows even if Davey goes over in 3 minutes u get the name out their and it's most likely going to be on live TV, that'd be a good look.

• Like 1

I really don't see how the old "touring champion" could still be a thing. Corgan isn't going to want to deal with all these small time promoters. His NWA is going to be his own promotion. Not an Alliance by any means. He bought the intellectual property. A brand that has been run through the mud for 25 years. Why keep business as usual? 

That said, should he sign guys like Cody and Davey Boy Jr? Absolutely. That in itself could be a great feud. They don't have to be exclusive deals, per se. They could still work Japan when they're not needed elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Didn't Cody just sign full time with ROH?

There were internet RUMBLINGS~! that said he signed but Cody said that was untrue

He did say that he was going to be signing with someone full time soon but as of yet hasn't announced who that was.

I mean ROH still makes the most sense but who knows

11 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

A touring champion isn't that farfetched, considering how many indy workers travel to different promotions all the time.

Adam Pearce, before the stuff with Colt Cabana, did good business touring as NWA World Champion outside of "NWA" territories...the few that were left. That scenario has potential.

Jay Bradley vs. current NWA Champ.

Bell ring. Boomstick. Pin. New Champ.

That's how whatever TV/YouTube/WWN show Corgan gets going should start.

Smith as babyface to chase.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Corgan should try to work with Gabe and the WWN with this. I waas going to say Ring of Honor but WWN is on the cutting edge of the Indie world now and not ROH.

I was contemplating this a few days ago. The WWN is really the closest thing to the old NWA. Corgan should explore that avenue if he keeps the "Alliance" in the NWA.

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

Adam Pearce, before the stuff with Colt Cabana, did good business touring as NWA World Champion outside of "NWA" territories...the few that were left. That scenario has potential.

Kahagas worked a couple of Reality of Wrestling shows when he was NWA North American champ.  ROW was not affiliated with the NWA at the time.  The old NWA rules don't really apply in a post-territory landscape.

57 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Corgan should try to work with Gabe and the WWN with this. I waas going to say Ring of Honor but WWN is on the cutting edge of the Indie world now and not ROH.

I was thinking the same thing.  Gabe would know Corgan from ECW, yeah?  No reason to think they can't work together.  Hell, a WWN Champ vs NWA champ during Wrestlemania weekend could do good business for both parties, depending on who has the belts.

Is Eddie Kingston signed with TNA...err Impact for certain? Cause Impact isn't gonna do anything with him. He'd be a good guy for Corgan to pick up as well especially if Eddie could redo some of his Chikara Grand Championship stuff or the angle where he almost murdered Lince Dorado in front of his family.

Wouldn't hurt if Corgan and Lagana tried to get Dave Marques on board again. The Main understands the importance of television presence or a having presence all together. Championship wrestling from Hollywood has tv and member not a large fanbase but a fanbase that's hardcore wrestling fans. He also has Television and wrestling connection. He's a guy in wrestling you'd want to have in your back pocket. He knows what's he's doing.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 4:48 PM, mattdangerously said:

Corgan didn't get any tape libraries in the purchase.

He actually sorta did. They finalized the deal today and Corgan got control of the NWA on Demand service

Thats per Meltzer's update today