DVDVR Message Board

Billy... err... William Patrick Corgan might have made the NWA awesome again

Just purchased the New York Express of  the MISL. (Would've gone with "Purchased the New York Cosmos" but that actually happened a few years back).

5 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Despite being a promoter, I would never be so egotistical as to book myself as NWA World Heavyweight Champion...but five-time World TV Champion, ten-time World Tag Team Champion, and a run or three with the World Six-Man and Western States Heritage Titles and I'll be satisfied.

You will go down as one of the greatest to never hold the big title.

Your name will be etched with the likes of Ted DiBiase, Roddy Piper and Jake Roberts.

That said, late in your run you could hire BEN to book for you. He will give you a short run with the title to help setup the Studd Stable takeover before your triumphent return as the one responsible for leaving the back door open to THE HOBO ARMY!!!

hobo-army.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Despite being a promoter, I would never be so egotistical as to book myself as NWA World Heavyweight Champion...but five-time World TV Champion, ten-time World Tag Team Champion, and a run or three with the World Six-Man and Western States Heritage Titles and I'll be satisfied.

There are so many names I can drop here that'd get me blackballed that I probably have heat just for posting this. :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Tharpe said on Facebook that's It's not going to affect the On Demand service and they're about to introduce it for Roku

And Yokozuna is about to join the Hart Foundation

• Like 1

Years ago I asked why Vince never bought the NWA name outright. I was told with the way the NWA is set up, no one entity could own it. Which I took to be true since Panda Energy never bought it when they were still spending money. 

Come to think of it I remember Ted Turner wanted to buy the NWA and wasn't able to. 

Reading the article I'm still not sure how Tharpe pulled off what he did. 

I hope Corgan's first act is getting the belt off the wino who rented it off Craigslist. Also finding a way to nullify the Colt Cabana title reigns.

14 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Corgan needs to do 2 things.

Get a new belt.  I love tradition and all that, but that belt is outdated, and if he wants to bring it up, at least update it so it's not the smaller than most podunk indy belts around.  It isn't 1985 anymore.

Eh, I dunno about this - that belt is pretty much the one and only recognisable thing about the NWA these days.

Reminiscing, there was a lot of buzz about a decade ago when the NWA ran a tournament for the belt called Reclaiming The Glory after the TNA thing fell through. Bryan Danielson was involved, Brent Albright, Balor, a lot of names. Then nothing much seemed to happen to capitalise on the buzz. If that tournament was run now with the benefit of live streaming etc it would've been the ideal way to kickstart this but alas

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Heck - Damien Wayne is only 45 and already works with NWA

He would make an amazing person to use as a transition to the newer model

Vordell Walker is right there and only in his mid-30s

Vordell Walker vs. Kongo Kong is the NWA World Heavyweight Title money feud that needs to happen.

I would let Damian Wayne hold down the mid-card as a heel NWA TV Champ or bring in PQ, reunite the OSE, and let them run with the tag-team straps.

52 year old Tim Storm is a smart worker.  I think you could run with him for a bit as the Heavyweight title holder before transitioning the belt to someone else.  You might even take a chance on Kahagas now that he's figuring out how to work light and isn't killing people with the Tokyo Street Cutter anymore.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Eh, I dunno about this - that belt is pretty much the one and only recognisable thing about the NWA these days.

Reminiscing, there was a lot of buzz about a decade ago when the NWA ran a tournament for the belt called Reclaiming The Glory after the TNA thing fell through. Bryan Danielson was involved, Brent Albright, Balor, a lot of names. Then nothing much seemed to happen to capitalise on the buzz. If that tournament was run now with the benefit of live streaming etc it would've been the ideal way to kickstart this but alas

as someone who largely doesn't follow/watch indy wrestling, i was looking forward to purchasing the promised DVD of the tournament. Obviously that never happened.

a couple years later, i was ready to support the NWA Title series "7 Levels of Hate" between Adam Pearce and Colt Cabana. obviously that never happened.

i think the "new" NWA needs to do something similar. A highly publicized tournament, available  on DVD, iPPV, featured through existing promotions. having a match on ROH, Evolve, Chikara, a few NWA feds with TV, that sort of thing. Then follow the champ as he tours all over the world, defending the belt against a multitude of guys, while cultivating a strong feud along the way.  Basically the exact thing they did with Adam Pearce, before they jacked it all up.

31 minutes ago, twiztor said:

a couple years later, i was ready to support the NWA Title series "7 Levels of Hate" between Adam Pearce and Colt Cabana. obviously that never happened.

The series happened and was released on DVD.

Just now, Ace said:

The series happened and was released on DVD.

i thought they couldn't use all the matches and just released a documentary on the series. maybe i'm wrong, i lost interest when the whole controversy happened.

They got the matches. The problem was that the intention was for Cabana to win the whole thing and NWA said no. So they did the 7th match anyways with Cabana winning and both refusing the title.

• Like 1

I think this has potential I really do. And I'm going to fantasy book here for a minute. I think this relaunch revamp whatever it is needs to air live as a two hour or 3 hour special event either on Television (like one of them obscure cable challenges that are in 40% of homes like FS2) or a live stream on some website. Whatever the case it needs to be free. I'd have it from some ballroom/theater in downtown Chicago. It'd be a unique look, you're going to have an easier time filling a 1500-2500 seat theater than you will a 5-10k seat arena especially when establishing the new NWA brand. And also wrestling looks cool in theaters/ballrooms. So back to this show, I'd book this show establishing the wrestlers you are going to focus on in the promotion which Championships are going to be THE Championships. of course The World and Tag Team are going to be on there but I'd also establish the Jr Heavyweight Championship as a cruiserweight/x-division hybrid, The Womens would be focused, I'd keep that on current Champion for a few months until I had a new upcoming women ready to beat her. And the NWA North American Heavyweight Championship would be my five titles. So on the show I'd have five title matches with either the current champion or the contender winning the title. If Cody is still a free Agent I'd have him beat current Champion Tim Storm for the NWA World Championship. I'd Also do a weekly Internet show on the NWA's website called something like NWA Weekly that is done in some Studio in Chicago hosted by some wrestling personality, Maybe Dave Lagana, showing highlights of matches from Various NWA promotions and promos from wrestlers and Video Packages from various feuds and sit down interviews and what not. All of this would culminate every month with a big live show from various Theaters/Ballrooms from all over the United States but primarily in the Mid-West, East Coast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. I think more of a sports presentation would be the way to go. Just present it completely different than the WWE and this could work. 

• Like 6

The thing is that "sports presentation" is very prevalent these days. NXT, New Japan, and certain aspects of WWE. 

I'd like to see a full rebrand and a similar presentation to that of TNA 2016.