DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

15 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Actually, Elementary was renewed 4 days ago, but the rumors are that it's going to be a mid-season replacement.

Ok, I stand corrected.  The article I saw had CBS schedule and didn't mention it as a mid-season replacement.  My bad.  I just assumed it got canceled.

So ABC decided to air an alleged comedy titled "Downward Dog" tonight. I didn't make it to commercial break #1. Just cringeworthy. If this was a regular season show, it would not make it to week number 2.

This is what happens when the hockey and basketball playoff games suck simultaneously.

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 6:05 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

Chris Gethard's new HBO special, Career Suicide, is incredible. 

Seconded.  I ran the gamut of emotions during it.  Laughing at the jokes.  Just FURIOUS when he told the story about his clinical therapist who wouldn't answer the phone as his medication dwindled.  Almost to the point of tears when he told the story about not wanting to tell his mom, then ultimately telling her.  And back to happy, because I'm happy for him doing better.

14 hours ago, peterien said:

I watched Arrested Development when it first came out years ago and didn't really 'get' some of the humour but ive burned through 2 seasons in a week and its probably my favourite comedy show.

It's an incredible show.  There are so many little details in the first three seasons that foreshadow/reference things to come that you don't catch until a second or third time through (I've probably watched the first three seasons through about 10 times now).

I didn't really care for the 4th season, but I probably owe it a re-watch.

I guess this is as good a place as any to put this.

arrested-development-s5-CONTENT-2017-840

• Like 2

I literally might be the only person who still watches The Big Bang Theory. Whatever.

But this looks horrific

Young Sheldon

I will give them credit though. Getting Zoe Perry to play a young version of Laurie Metcalfe was brilliant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I literally might be the only person who still watches The Big Bang Theory. Whatever.

But this looks horrific

Young Sheldon

I will give them credit though. Getting Zoe Perry to play a young version of Laurie Metcalfe was brilliant

I still watch, and for the most part enjoy, TBBT, but this looks extremely awful. 

BBT is still on my PVR, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I used to. Agree that Young Sheldon looks awful, but can't possibly be as bad as that Dog show I tried to watch last night.

The fourth season of Arrested Development had its moments and I admired the ambition. But it was obviously hurt by isolating the main cast members and putting them in episodes that just seemed to run too long. My thinking is they know this and wouldn't have ordered a fifth season if they couldn't get the scheduling right for everybody. 

22 hours ago, Dewar said:

So ABC decided to air an alleged comedy titled "Downward Dog" tonight. I didn't make it to commercial break #1. Just cringeworthy. If this was a regular season show, it would not make it to week number 2.

This is what happens when the hockey and basketball playoff games suck simultaneously.

Ugh, Molly Solverson deserves better than that show. 

On 5/18/2017 at 7:00 AM, RIPPA said:

But this looks horrific

Young Sheldon

Not the first time that's happened. She played Young Jackie in a couple of flashback scenes on Roseanne. 

black-ish is getting a spinoff called college-ish on Freeform

As the name might imply - it will follow the eldest daughter going to college

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

black-ish is getting a spinoff called college-ish on Freeform

As the name might imply - it will follow the eldest daughter going to college

Kadeem Hardison is waiting by the phone.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, elizium said:

Kadeem Hardison is waiting by the phone.

He's actually got a job right now.

Oddly enough, one that went right for the Different World reference when it had Jasmine Guy guest star.  And is for Disney.

I was going to make a comment about how Sinbad could probably use a paycheck and looked at wikipedia to see what he'd been up to lately.  Turned out he filed for bankruptcy several years ago, so that probably wouldn't be far from the truth.

Speaking of random folks from late 80s comedies getting TV shows

Jaleel White is on the new Bobby Moynihan comedy that NBC is debuting this fall (also stars John Larroquette) called Me, Myself and I

I will take Selina Meyer as full-on international criminal syndicate leader brokering secret deals between the middle east and China all day every day.

Like, if they just made this a comedy version of Narcos from here on out I think they could keep it going another ten years.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2017 at 6:48 AM, RIPPA said:

Speaking of random folks from late 80s comedies getting TV shows

Jaleel White is on the new Bobby Moynihan comedy that NBC is debuting this fall (also stars John Larroquette) called Me, Myself and I

This will be on CBS http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-fall-preview-2017/news/1007146/me-myself-i-brings-comedian-bobby-moynihan-to-the-cbs-lineup/

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new Tracey Morgan stand up special on Netflix is fucking amazing. I haven't laughed that hard for that long since I don't know when. It's one of the best.

I'm really happy he's okay, but I gotta be honest... I thought it was terrible. Didn't even finish it.