DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I couldn't get a search to turn up anything.  Are we watching "13 Reasons Why" ?  I have two episodes left.  My god..  I like it but jeez

Pretty sure it's in the Netflix thread.

On 5/21/2017 at 3:50 PM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I guess that means TNT canceled the Librarians?

Renewed it in January. Assuming they're filming now since they usually premiere their season in November.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Scandal may have dropped the most convoluted season finale ever last week.  Yeah, it's time to put this thing in the grave.

Eh, i don't agree.  I've said before that I much prefer the show when it focuses on "business as usual" politics.  I really enjoyed last season's presidential race and generally shrug when they get too far into B613.  That said, as wacky and implausible as this season was, I was never bored and found the whole thing really entertaining.  They was some bad writing and deus ex machina resolutions to cliffhangers, but I'm really interested where they left things.  I'm even interested in the resurrection of B613 headed by someone other than Papa Pope.

Next season's the last season, anyways.  

I still don't understand why anyone considers Huck a babyface considering some of the things he's done just since the show started (leaving aside his actual career in black ops).

• Like 1

I also thought that last season was really interesting because I prefer the socio-political metaplot to the Person In Need Of Help Today stories but now that Olivia is turning into the monster she's hunted since Day One, I think her career as Chief of Staff (probably VP before it's all over) will be a good place to close the chapter.

Half-way done with the new season of 12 Monkeys. I really like this show a ton. It's nice that they're willing to take risks with the tone of some of these episodes too. The Causality episode from this season in particular is really well done as it's essentially being projected from the mind of Jennifer Goines, so naturally there's more wacky shit to counterbalance the more depressing stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Half-way done with the new season of 12 Monkeys. I really like this show a ton. It's nice that they're willing to take risks with the tone of some of these episodes too. The Causality episode from this season in particular is really well done as it's essentially being projected from the mind of Jennifer Goines, so naturally there's more wacky shit to counterbalance the more depressing stuff.

We're three episodes in and enjoying it a lot too. It feels better than ever.

12 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I have no idea why Netflix bothers including their "skip intro" button in episodes of Unbreakable KImmy Schmidt. What kind of monster would click that?!

The same monsters that do it with MST3K

On 5/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, RIPPA said:

I literally might be the only person who still watches The Big Bang Theory. Whatever.

But this looks horrific

Young Sheldon

I will give them credit though. Getting Zoe Perry to play a young version of Laurie Metcalfe was brilliant

Bill Ponderosa is his dad, which probably explains a lot about Sheldon. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 10:25 PM, piranesi said:

I will take Selina Meyer as full-on international criminal syndicate leader brokering secret deals between the middle east and China all day every day.

Like, if they just made this a comedy version of Narcos from here on out I think they could keep it going another ten years.

Selina Vice!

Ben to Jonah on VEEP: "I know you were busy biting James Bond's cable car wire but..."

Line of the year?

Wait. Nope. Nevermind. Selina just said of Tom James's wife: "Alethia? Is that her name or is that the pill you take to fuck her?"

• Like 2

Finished up Supernatural a bit ago.  I... never thought I'd type these words, but I enjoyed the show this season. I wasn't a megafan during the Kripke era and have found every season since to be average to mediocre.  Last couple years, I watched the first few eps of the season, checked out, and would watch a couple eps off On Demand here and there to see if it improved.

I may be gullible (I am a wrestling fan, after all) but something about the way they played the finale makes me think they're finally going to change the game up a little.  Hopefully, the deaths will stick because one of the problems with this show has been a reluctance to change the status quo too much.  Crowley and Cass could be fun characters, but they've been treading the same water for way too long now.

I dunno.  Maybe I'm too optimistic.  The celestial baby plot gets a shrug from me because he's just another variation of the same plot they've been doing for six or seven years now.  I'll probably look like an idiot when the season finale is the deus ex god baby fixes everything with a hand wave 10 minutes into the fall premiere.  And, holy god, I wish Jared Paladecki or Jensen Ackles could act.  The last 10 minutes would have played better if the Winchester brothers could convincingly convey an emotion besides consternation.

That said, even though I liked the season, if there was ever a show that didn't need to run 13 seasons (and counting), it's this one. 

Okay, so that last line in this week's Silicon Valley:

Spoiler

"She cannot find out about us."

Is he saying:  a) She cannot find out about Erlich fucking Dan's wife at TechCrunch. 

Or b) She cannot find out about Dan and Richard hooking up?

Also, non-spoilery, SV has been picked up for Season 5, but TJ Miller is leaving after this season

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:
  Hide contents

MeUUSA7.jpg

The Leftovers, man. 

I've debated finding the still of Kevin and Patty staring at the nuclear apocalypse my Facebook cover image. Absolutely gorgeous shot. I fully expect to be devastated by next week's finale.

I also unintentionally blew through the final Season of Bloodline that hit Netflix on Sunday (something I almost never do anymore). I believe @Tabe is the only other person on here to watch that series, but this final season had some interesting moments but all in all was quite plodding and had many of the flaws of Season 2. I guess that's what happens when your best performance from the first season only appears in fragments over the final two seasons and is replaced by "what the hell is he even doing?" scenes from John Leguizamo. 

19 hours ago, Chaos said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've debated finding the still of Kevin and Patty staring at the nuclear apocalypse my Facebook cover image. Absolutely gorgeous shot. I fully expect to be devastated by next week's finale.

I also unintentionally blew through the final Season of Bloodline that hit Netflix on Sunday (something I almost never do anymore). I believe @Tabe is the only other person on here to watch that series, but this final season had some interesting moments but all in all was quite plodding and had many of the flaws of Season 2. I guess that's what happens when your best performance from the first season only appears in fragments over the final two seasons and is replaced by "what the hell is he even doing?" scenes from John Leguizamo. 

I thought it was pretty good but was a big drop from previous seasons. The hallucination episode was just lazy writing to fill time. Having Meg be nonexistent for most of the season didn't help. And, yeah, Leguizamo added nothing. 

Kind of a disappointing payoff after that incredible first season. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

WGN cancelled Underground. It has been a rough few weeks for critically acclaimed black TV. 

That sucks.  My daughter and I watched every episode together.  They'd just introduced Harriet Tubman in Season 2 and I'd hoped there would be a Season 3.

"Harriet Tubman ran one of the most sophisticated intelligence gathering organizations of her era," is something you really don't hear in school whenever the Underground Railroad comes up for discussion and I was sorta hoping that Underground would help teach this lesson.

8 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Finally watched I Am Heath Ledger last night; goddamn, what a shame, so much talent and gone at 28.

Yeah, I watched this and thought it was really good.  I wonder how different The Dark Knight Rises would've been if Ledger had lived to reprise his role as The Joker as was the original intention.

Oh, and paging Odessasteps..

Hellloooo, nurse: It’s time for “Animaniacs” – again!

Amblin Television and Warner Bros. Animation are kicking around a brand new version of the hit 1990s cartoon, IndieWire has learned. The potential reboot comes as “Animaniacs” has experienced a new surge in popularity since arriving on Netflix last year. Steven Spielberg, who developed the original as a follow-up to the success of his “Tiny Toon Adventures,” is expected to be on board in crafting the updated version.

There’s no home yet for “Animaniacs,” and insiders caution that it’s still in the early stages of development. But 1990s nostalgia is big business these days – witness the success of another Warner Bros. TV title, “Fuller House,” which is one of the most-watched originals on Netflix.

“Animaniacs” ran for 99 episodes – from 1993 to 1995 on Fox Kids, before moving to Kids’ WB from 1995 to 1998. It also spawned the primetime spinoff “Pinky and the Brain,"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

That sucks.  My d, aughter and I watched every episode together.  They'd just introduced Harriet Tubman in Season 2 and I'd hoped there would be a Season 3.

"Harriet Tubman ran one of the most sophisticated intelligence gathering organizations of her era," is something you really don't hear in school whenever the Underground Railroad comes up for discussion and I was sorta hoping that Underground would help teach this lesson.

John Legend and Tika Sumpter were going to do a show for WGN about Black Wall Street. That news came out last year when the Underground was riding high. I wonder if that is kaput now as a result of this.

Given Legend's relationship with Oprah, I wouldn't be surprised if both are resurrected by OWN.