DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

12 hours ago, Ace said:

Gethard needs to have a show so we can have @Greggulator tell the Carmen Sandiego story to the masses. 

Ha! Maybe some day. I think everyone has heard it by now.

I am so glad people like my brother's HBO show. I was at the taping for it -- it is absolutely bonkers to me that this happened.

My brother, if anything, undersold just how sick he was. It is really awful to see your brother go through all of that. However, we are incredibly proud that he has used his struggle to help other people. A lot of people over the years have reached out and said his honesty led to them getting help. 

Also: The Chris Gethard Show is going to be live on TruTV starting this summer. I am so excited for this!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently so many fans bitched about Timeless getting cancelled that NBC has decided to give it a 2nd season

It also helped that Sony Pictures Television offered 'the lion's share of the profits to NBC in exchange for the renewal' and that 'Early buzz has the drama moving from its former 10 p.m. slot to a potential home at 8 p.m. as the show has been a favorite for co-viewing with parents and children. (The Smithsonian also hosted a panel for the show.)'

So I was randomly watching Mr. Show sketches on Youtube tonight - cuz that's how I roll on a Saturday night! - and came across the great 'New KKK' sketch and noticed that the African-American klan leader's name was Marjoe Crawley which is surprisingly close to Mojo Rawley.  That's a weird similarity.

• Like 1

New Girl has been renewed by Fox for a 7th and final season, which I'm really happy about it. The season finale for 6 sets up the 7th perfectly, and I swear if they fuck with that storyline.... I'm going to be pissed.

Hopefully this means another She & Him record is on the horizon since this'll be the final season, though.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2017 at 10:42 PM, EVA said:

2 BROKE GIRLS has been canceled.  Kat Dennings is free!

An announcement: In lieu of the fact that she now has royalty checks coming to her for the rest of her life, she has decided to only work on movies at least as good as Charlie Bartlett. And move in with me. 

Yeah... I wish

I was dying watching that segment on The President Show btw. Baldwin doesn't hold a candle to him.

This has been a very special week in Murray. I got to see:

1) Joel Murray floating in space naked with a full erection on AMERICAN GODS
2) Brian Doyle-Murray sitting in an easy chair drinking whiskey and telling Julia Louise-Dreyfuss her father hated her on VEEP

GOOD JOB< TV>!

I actually wish they hadn't canceled Two Broke Girls.  With it on the air, I knew what night and time Kat Dennings would be on my tv.... so I could watch something else at that time.  Now I run the risk of her appearing on something I actually want to watch.  

Man, New Girl should've ended at the 5th season finale.  Then they wrapped everything up AGAIN at the 6th season finale.  It's like fucking BONES, where no one wants to keep doing the show, but Fox keeps renewing it.

15 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

Do we have a Master of None thread? The episode called First Date from the new season encompasses what dating life has become since we started using dating apps. It's great.

I still have 3 episodes to go.  Really wanted to finish it this past weekend, but couldn't find the time.  That "New York, I Love You" episode - I don't want to call it the best, since it ignores all the regular characters, but I really enjoyed it, and it's cool that you can recommend it to anyone to parachute in and watch since they don't need any backstory.

Someone who writes that show (and without checking, I think it's just Ansari and Alan Yang who write it) is clearly a WWE fan, and more than just a casual one. 

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I still have 3 episodes to go.  Really wanted to finish it this past weekend, but couldn't find the time.  That "New York, I Love You" episode - I don't want to call it the best, since it ignores all the regular characters, but I really enjoyed it, and it's cool that you can recommend it to anyone to parachute in and watch since they don't need any backstory.

Someone who writes that show (and without checking, I think it's just Ansari and Alan Yang who write it) is clearly a WWE fan, and more than just a casual one. 

I unintentionally blew through all of Season 2 on Saturday. The whole season was a blast, but I'd probably peg the stand-out eps as "First Date", "New York, I Love You", and "Thanksgiving."

I'm halfway through Master of None, or I think I am. I just finished the episode where Dev is so brutally in the friendzone and knows there's no way out of it. It's the episode that ends with his Uber drive home and there's no cuts. At first I thought, "man, I feel so bad for the guy." By the end of the episode I was nearly in tears. It's so fucking sad.

I love Aziz. He did a show here before one of his most recent stand-up specials. I think it was actually before his MSG show. He hadn't finished his book on love and relationships yet and you could tell that he was laser focused on understanding them. His stand-up show was more akin to him shooting the shit with the audience about relationships, dating, marriage, co-habitation, etc. Since then it's just been a huge focus for him and it's produced some really good episodes of TV.

So anyway, when I finished that episode, I couldn't help but think of the massive amount of men and women that feeling would resonate with. So many have been there and he illustrated that feeling beautifully with that ride home.

Looking forward to the rest of the season to see where things go from here. It's also weird to me that Netflix also has its Love series that just had its second season a few months ago. Master of None is leaps and bounds better than Love, but it also explores a different kind of relationship and situation.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

GLOW Trailer

NSFW due to language

Never got my feet wet with GLOW, so help out a brother who's going to be pimping this trailer hard to people he thinks might enjoy it: How reality-based do we expect this to be? 

Regardless, it's Alison Brie in spandex and Marc Maron. I'm there. 

• Like 1