DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

This past week's 'Veep' was incredible.  I'm not sure I've laughed harder this year than at Selina Meyer attempting to make dinner for Gary after his heart-attack.  When she chopped up the old chicken sandwich, with the bun, and mixed it into the reheated pasta and he was trying to enjoy it and she said that it smelled funky, and he said that it was just the blue cheese and she said there was no blue cheese and he made that horrified face, I lost it.

• Like 3

So, this came in my e-mail today:

The world of Judge Dredd is coming to TV screens thanks to a deal struck between leading independent entertainment studio IM Global and independent UK games developer and publisher Rebellion.

The deal will see development begin on Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, a high-end TV series based on the globally-famous character from the pages of legendary British comic book 2000 AD, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year.

Set in a future where east coast America has become a crowded and crime-ridden megalopolis, the show will be an ensemble drama about a team of Judges – futuristic cops invested with the power to be judge, jury, and executioner – as they deal with the challenges the future-shocked 22nd Century throws at them.

Early development has begun on the show, and talent will be announced at a later date.

Listen to producer Brian Jenkins and Rebellion CEO and executive producer Jason Kingsley talk about Judge Dredd: Mega-City One

Attached to the production as Executive Producers are President of IM Global Television, Mark Stern, who developed critically-acclaimed series Battlestar Galactica, Helix, and Defiance at Syfy, IM Global Television CEO Stuart Ford, and the owners of Rebellion, Jason and Chris Kingsley, who along with Ford, were also executive producers on the 2012 DREDD feature film adaptation from DNA Films, Reliance Entertainment and IM Global.

Where to start reading Judge Dredd: 2000 AD's Keith Richardson and Michael Molcher give you the lowdown on the collections you need to read!

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Immediately said "FUCK YES" when I read that first line, but then... no Karl Urban? C'mon, he's gotta be in it. 

Yes, I cannot see what is so high on Urban and Thurlby's schedules that they cannot reprise their roles.

I know he's in Thor: Ragnarok as Skurge the Executioner and that looks to be a surefire hit but if the trailer is any indication of what the film will be like, Skurge does not play a prominent role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yes, I cannot see what is so high on Urban and Thurlby's schedules that they cannot reprise their roles.

I know he's in Thor: Ragnarok as Skurge the Executioner and that looks to be a surefire hit but if the trailer is any indication of what the film will be like, Skurge does not play a prominent role.

Poor Skurge, has he ever played a prominent role? Poor guy, been around longer than Erik Josten and Clint Barton and still can't catch a break... 

To digress for a moment back to American Gods... As with the book, I'm digging the hell out of it. Unlike a majority of Neil's readers, I'm rarely blown away by his use of myth and reshaping same to his own needs and the fault is likely mine (and how do I phrase this without sounding arrogant or know-it-all? I dunno, fuck it, here goes): I'm simply too well-read in the same things from the same time periods as Neil. Neil's a little older, but we're close enough in age that to say we're contemporaries would be pretty accurate. We were both precocious readers at an early age and fascinated by folklore and mythology, so obviously, read lots and lots of the same things at or around the same time.I won't say that we're close friends, but we are friends to the point that he'll take my calls and I've heard an assistant gently chastised for trying to screen me... ("John doesn't ring up unless it's important, please put him through...") 

Anyway, in conversation about creating a story or the plot thereof, Neil mentioned that he often does something that I learned from Tim Powers (who I think does it better than anyone), take two seemingly unrelated people or events and figure out how they connect. (Example: We all know that Edward Teach (Blackbeard) behaved in a bizarre manner. Let's assume voodoo works. Shake well and pour, perhaps there's a logical reason (within the framework of voodoo and other magicks working) that explain Teach's behavior? Result: On Stranger Tides!)

Old gods vs. new gods and belief giving life to gods isn't really anything new. However, Neil is such a great storyteller that he can make this compelling.  The concept isn't anything particularly new but the execution of telling the tale is superb. That the translation to the screen is as well done as it is, calls for applause to all involved. That (so far) the adaptation is so faithful to the source material and so well done flies in the face of everything that I have ever experienced in working with Hollyweird. That American Gods and Hap & Leonard are both so amazingly good may be a sign that the industry has finally realized that those of us that write this stuff in the first place might just have a wee clue as to what we're doing. ;-)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I like that J.T. gets emergency Judge Dredd updates in his e-mail. I mainly get library overdue notices.

I'd probably have my nerd license revoked if I didn't receive those feeds on a regular basis.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'd probably have my nerd license revoked if I didn't receive those feeds on a regular basis.

You've prompted me to show my nerd license by posting something down in Reading and Writing now.

• Like 2

I am probably the only one who watches (and even then it is always on like a three week delay) - they have announced the coaches for the next season of the Voice

For Season 13 - Miley Cyrus returns and Jennifer Hudson replaces Alicia Keys (along with Adam Levine and Blake Shelton who never leave)

They also announced that Kelly Clarkson will be a coach for Season 14

3 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Also, Imaginary Mary & The Real O'Neals.

Imaginary Mary made it like 4 episodes before getting the can? Poor Jenna Elfman. Poor me for watching anything Jenna Elfman does...

Powerless was DOA when their final three episodes were pulled and replaced by "Superstore" reruns for May sweeps. It's too bad, I liked the show, although that may have been for seeing Vanessa Hudgens reasons.

Didn't Powerless get boned because at the last minute the reworked it to make more mentions of Batman or Superman

Something like that?

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Didn't Powerless get boned because at the last minute the reworked it to make more mentions of Batman or Superman

Something like that?

It got changed heavily but it probably wouldn't have been all that good in the first place.

There are shows you look at and know they're too quirky for big 4 broadcast TV, and you know they're going to be cancelled.  That's Powerless.  I didn't watch it but I knew there'd be no way it would last just seeing the commercials.   Just play it safe and make another police procedural.

Powerless was too weird to be safe but not weird enough to appeal to weird comedy fans.

Also, while it wasn't ever terrible, it was also rarely hilarious despite having an incredible comedy cast.

I'm bummed it's getting cancelled, but ultimately Selfie did more with less time and still ate shit so...

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am probably the only one who watches (and even then it is always on like a three week delay) - they have announced the coaches for the next season of the Voice

For Season 13 - Miley Cyrus returns and Jennifer Hudson replaces Alicia Keys (along with Adam Levine and Blake Shelton who never leave)

They also announced that Kelly Clarkson will be a coach for Season 14

Hudson was a coach on the most recent series of the Voice UK and brought a new energy to the show that wasn't seen in years, so count me excited about that news.