DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

J.T.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Hmm..if you had to list a top 10 combat sports movies, would that just be a top ten boxing movies, or would you sneak Warrior (or The Wrestler, if that counts) in there somewhere? Because as far as MMA movies (I've seen) goes, Warrior is the only one I'd class as 'good'.

I presume someone would say the Karate Kid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

I liked Never Back Down. Sure, it's terrible, but it's kinda fun. And it has the scene that constantly gets passed around on Facebook as a real life brawl involving a Marine knocking out a guy. 

I love Never Back Down as well, and it's soundtrack. Definitely fun and one I rewatch often.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Do Bloodsport and Kickboxer count?

Well, I'd say they were more Martial Arts movies than Sports movies. Although arguably Never Back Down is too...

On 5/22/2017 at 5:22 PM, HumanChessgame said:

It's been a few years since I watched the fourth one, but remember thinking it was surprisingly decent.  The second and third movies were Matrix sequels level awful though, so that's not exactly a high bar to cross.

I caught it tonight with the 15 year old. He loved it but he's at an age where he loves most summer movies. I came in with low expectations but was generally happy throughout. The plot is pretty thin and a lot like the second Alice movie (which he had wanted to see too), Depp was the worst part but here he was more benignly toothless as opposed to an active menace like he was there. 

As someone who can't get enough of the ride and Monkey Island and what have you, I'm glad this stuff exists. In this case, I would have been happy if it was just a little better but in general, I'm good. I'm mot surprised the thing has an A- Cinema Score. If nothing else, i bonded with the teenager which isn't always the easiest thing.

Granted, we have to alternate movies, and his mother will take him to Wonder Woman next weekend, so she'll probably win this one.

Watched 

The Red Turtle which was beautiful but rather confounding.  It's your typical Hollywood cookie-cutter plot of

Boy gets stranded on island with a giant turtle that refuses to let him leave; boy bashes turtle over the head and flips it over, killing it; beautiful woman hatches out of broken turtle shell; boy has relationship and child with girl; boy and turtle-girl's son leaves them on island; boy dies and girl turns back into turtle

Seriously, though, I was probably not in the right head-space for this.  The animation and score is beautiful, but I kept trying to wrap my head around the story and what, if anything, it was meant to symbolize and

Making jokes to myself like the dad saying "Son, someday you're going to meet a turtle, bash it to death and marry it, too!"

Silver Linings Playbook which is still so freakin' great.  Everyone in the cast is amazing: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro (Probably his best performance in - what, a decade? two? - and Jacki Weaver (Who is overlooked but amazing in this.  The part near the end where Lawrence's character reveals her involvement in their relationship, Weaver has this AMAZING facial expression which is such a mother's expression, as if to say "Okay, you got me, I'm not totally innocent here..."), as well as the supporting cast, especially John Ortiz (Who is, frankly, almost always really good) and Anupam Kher ("DeSean Jackson is the man").

also, watched half of 

Passengers which I'm wanting to like because of the score and effects, but I keep thinking there seems to be a ton of flaws in the design of this giant ship housing some 5000 people, like it was half-assed.  And I'm not even getting into the whole plotline of Chris Pratt's character basically sentencing Jennifer Lawrence's to death because she's pretty.

So I was spending way too long trying to find something on Amazon Prime to watch.  And then I discovered Fateful Findings was there.

Never seen it but knew about it.  But I had no idea what I was about to get myself into.

I thought this MIGHT be more insane than The Room.  But then came the ending.  Oh my God.  I have never seen a movie with so little self-awareness.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacelle said:

I'll give it a go. 

1. Raging Bull
  2. Rocky
  3. The Wrestler
  4. Diggstown
  5. Rocky III
  6. Rocky II
  7. Creed
  8. Bodyslam
  9. The Fighter
  10. Gladiator

That's a great list.  I love that Rocky III is so high and that you stuck Body Slam on there.  Body Slam really is pretty awful production-wise but it has its heart in the right place and is a fun little low budget 80s movie.

Ruben Ostlund's movie "The Square" won the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

This is the third major movie with that title in the last ten years (the Australian movie written by Joel Edgerton from 2008, the documentary on Tiananmen Square from 2013, and now this).  The actors' guild  has a rule that no two actors can have the exact same name.  Can we get someone to do the same thing for movie titles?

4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Ruben Ostlund's movie "The Square" won the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

This is the third major movie with that title in the last ten years (the Australian movie written by Joel Edgerton from 2008, the documentary on Tiananmen Square from 2013, and now this).  The actors' guild  has a rule that no two actors can have the exact same name.  Can we get someone to do the same thing for movie titles?

This would explain why at one point in the 90s, we had like five actresses named Vanessa Williams and some of them used their middle initial only making it that much more confusing unless it was Miss America Vanessa Williams.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This would explain why at one point in the 90s, we had like five actresses named Vanessa Williams and some of them used their middle initial only making it that much more confusing unless it was Miss America Vanessa Williams.

I wish the NFL would adopt this rule, because there have been a half a dozen  WR named "Mike Williams" in the last decade alone. . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The actors' guild  has a rule that no two actors can have the exact same name.  Can we get someone to do the same thing for movie titles?

The Director Tom Holland had to use the name 'Tom Holland' because there was already an actor calling Tom Fielding (which he was using as a stage name for a bit). But now there's another Tom Holland playing Spider-Man, as well as the historian. We could potentially have Tom Holland directing Tom Holland in a movie based on a book written by Tom Hollnd, and it's three different guys.

17 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

That's a great list.  I love that Rocky III is so high and that you stuck Body Slam on there.  Body Slam really is pretty awful production-wise but it has its heart in the right place and is a fun little low budget 80s movie.

When I was a kid, I was absolutely convinced that Dirk Benedict was Jim Cornette acting under a pseudonym. My only exposure to Cornette would have been black and white PWI photos and I was sure that since the wrestlers were played by actual wrestlers, that the manager would have to be too.

1. Raging Bull
  2. Warrior
  3. Rocky
  4. The Wrestler
  5. Play it to the Bone
  6. Night and the City (1950 version)
  7. Somebody Up There Likes Me
  8. Rocky 2
  9. The Hurricane
  10. Ong Bak sort of counts.

If only there was some way to see Beautiful Boxer in England. Kyoko Inoue's in it.

I already checked the Criterion site, and Amazon will never ever get my business in the history of their or my existence (see: Random music thread), but thanks anyway.

There's got to be some place I can grab it but I've been so down the hole of buying vinyl that I have no clue where to buy DVDs anymore unless I'm buying something that doesn't work at Ballmart

Also, fuck, Barnes and Noble, that makes a trifecta of places that have screwed me over this year. CAN SOME PLACE EASY TO ORDER FROM PLEASE SEND ME SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT SKIP OR GLITCH?!