DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

J.T.

15 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Re-watched Glengarry Glen Ross, what a fucking movie, some of the greatest dialogue delivered by phenomenal actors. I sometimes forget how good the performances were.

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS ONLY is written in permanent marker on the white board in our Exercise Control Center.

• Like 1

Just now, J.T. said:

COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS ONLY is written in permanent marker on the white board in our Exercise Control Center.

I once walked passed one of our sales guys and grabbed his coffee off his desk and yelled out COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS as I walked away with it, his boss laughed right in his face, it was amazing. 

On 2017-5-17 at 4:36 PM, Zimbra said:

Remember when those movies were about hijacking trucks of DVD players and shit?

It is lovely to watch how Dom has developed as a character. And how good an actor Vin Diesel is.

Why Fast and Furious has become a truly interesting blockbuster franchise, despite how silly it is.  

I think someone on here said: "Dom is basically every good-natured drunk uncle at the barbecue: He's drunk and silly, but you know he means it." 

• Like 1

Spoilers man, spoilers! Haha

All joking aside I loved those movies when they came out on VHS. I actually STILL own the first one on VHS and it is quite the gory, nihilistic romp. A band I was friends with used it to sample something Diane Ladd said in it for one of their albums. 

EDIT: Just saw this on the Wiki page: 

Two spin-offs of the film appear in the form of 2001's Raptor and 2006's The Eden Formula. Every movie in the series following Carnosaur feature stock footage from the first film.

Oh Roger, never change. 

Watching Heat again right now on Viceland and I still can't believe how stacked the cast is. And ah man the face that Henry Rollins makes at one point:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/die-hard-scenario/images/1/11/DHS-_Hugh_(Henry_Rollins)_in_Heat_(1995).png/revision/latest?cb=20160114090722

I'd also say something about Amy Brenneman but I don't wanna get all McGirtcenetico 

EDIT: OH SHIT! The same dude that cheats on Virginia Madsen in Candyman is the same dude that cheats with Diane Venora in Heat! Also, apparently there is a secret to Hanna: 

Spoiler

Pacino revealed in an interview that the character is on coke the whole time, which makes sense

• Like 2

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM, brocklock said:

And Kevin Michael Richardson's incredible voice acting on selling that ball shot. GARHHHHHHHHH

Wait wait wait

The guy who did this voice?
1798334121-superthumb.gif

Also did this voice?
Goro.jpg

I had no idea!

It's been a few years since I watched the fourth one, but remember thinking it was surprisingly decent.  The second and third movies were Matrix sequels level awful though, so that's not exactly a high bar to cross.

Honestly, I have low standards for summer action flicks.  Wife and I quit going to serious dramas when the weather warms up and sit through a steady slew of Pirates of the Carribean, Fast & the Furious, Avengers. etc.  i don't ask that a summer blockbuster get good reviews or be well-written.  All I really need is for it to be over the top, bring the spectacles and the stunts, and not make me wish i had spent the past two hours outside in the heat.  Pretty sure Pirates 5 and I will get along just fine.

Funny , id rather see art films in the summer, as oasis for desert of summer blockbusters. Always fun to go see "diary of a consumptive victorian governess" in a multiplex surrounded by Sooper Doper Man XI and the like. ;) 

Okay, so my slightly sketchy DVD guy got me a copy of Baahubali:  The Beginning and it was really good.  Now I have to watch the sequel.

Shiva is a legit badass.

I am completely lost when it comes to historical or mythological context, but there are dudes beating the shit out each other with gigantic edged weapons, so I'm good.

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This made me go down a mental rabbit hole of a heroin-addicted Superman that would make a pretty good underground comic, or Adult Swim show (if they had the balls)

I did not notice I misspelled sooper dooper. :)

250px-Superduperman.jpg

• Like 1

So I watched Expendables 3 which  was suffering from having large ensemble cast and not being willing to actually kill any heroes. So a lot of the cast just don't really have anything to do. Terry Crews, Randy Couture and Jet Li might as well have stayed at home. And then he recruits a whole new crew, none of whom really make an impression once the action starts. Kelsey Grammar and Harrison Ford seemed to enjoy their minutes too. Antonio Banderas was probably the MVP of the movie though. I don't think any of the Expendables movies are really as much as the sum of their parts though. It's Wrestlemania booking as a movie. A series of moments, rather than an actual complete thing that hangs together.

Never Back Down, however is an MMA movie with no actual MMA fighters in the cast. It's very obviously aimed at a teenage audience because it makes no sense and every few seconds a big pop hit plays on the soundtrack. And very few of the girls in the cast wears much more than a bikini most of the time. It's... pretty bad. I mnean, it has a good cast, but a lot of them have their worst performances in any movie they've been in... in this movie. And the hero wins the final fight by no-selling a Powerbomb on concrete. So yeah, don't bother with it.

Kinda half-watched the new Robocop while I was listening to the Voivod records I got in the mail (fitting), and it was alright. Loaded cast (Oldman, Keaton, Jackie Earle Haley, Michael K. Williams, Sam Jackson, and I swore that Patrick Garrow was Brad Dourif until I read the iMDB) and the sci-fi theme was probably why I kept it on the screen but it kinda sucked me in and I turned the sound on for most of the end between record sides. Not really sure what, if any, real sociopolitical comment it has so obviously the first one dwarfs it but it was fun. 

I liked Never Back Down. Sure, it's terrible, but it's kinda fun. And it has the scene that constantly gets passed around on Facebook as a real life brawl involving a Marine knocking out a guy. 

• Like 1

Hmm..if you had to list a top 10 combat sports movies, would that just be a top ten boxing movies, or would you sneak Warrior (or The Wrestler, if that counts) in there somewhere? Because as far as MMA movies (I've seen) goes, Warrior is the only one I'd class as 'good'.