DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

J.T.

Watched some sci-fi this week.

Contact was really good.  I'm surprised it hasn't had a recent renaissance since it's a very feminist-friendly movie with Jodie Foster's character constantly being questioned/having her position taken over by men etc. etc.  Really good effects, too.

Mission to Mars was not so very good.  Gary Sinise is an astronaut (Whom always seems to have too much eyeliner on for some reason) charged with helping rescue fellow astronaut Don Cheadle who is marooned on Mars.  Anyways there's a whole thing about martians and humans and a possible shared past etc. etc.  But there's lots of weird shit like a really blatant product placement for Dr. Pepper and

a crying alien

So, it has some good effects, and Don Cheadle is always good.

Hardcore Henry is now on heavy rotation and available On Demand on the Showtime premium channel network.

I posted this already in the Horror forum but since I am mentioning stuff that is now on cable, Don't Breathe is now on the Starz! Networks rotation as well as their On Demand service.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

John Cena on the Matrix Trilogy:

He really liked the last one because the robots win.

Also, The Architect's awful, stilted, overly expositional dialog, filled with unnecessary five dollar words, made him feel right at home.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I was looking up a list of the best action flicks of the millenium and decided to revisit The Matrix Reloaded.  I remembered it being quite good, especially the action sequences.  I gave up after 40 minutes of rave/orgy and boring discussions along the lines of "You're the one!" "Am I the one?" "I don't care if you're the one."

• Like 1

I felt pretty meh about Reloaded outside the awesome ghost twins. But I can never hate Revolutions, because dear god that final Neo/Smith fight rules. It's the first really great over the top DBZ style fight I can think of in live action film and I love it.

The ending is also way better if you watched the Animatrix as well. Specifically the two part history of the machine/human conflict. Makes the machines way more sympathetic which makes the compromise ending way better. In general the Animatrix may be the best part of the franchise though.

While dogsitting today, I watched

Lady Snowblood which is awesome.  I'm not sure how Quentin Tarantino didn't have to give them a writing credit, as this is basically the story for 'Kill Bill 1' (Instead of fulfilling a vendetta against a group of criminals for her mother, Beatrix fulfilles a vendetta against a group of criminals for herself) and even ends in almost the exact same setting as KB1!  I was quite startled when I was watching it at first, for the scene of guys threatening to rape her as I thought this was from the early 60s.  Then the music and hairstyles kicked in and I realized it was actually the 70s.  Great flick, though.

Skin Trade was pretty great, too.  It's Dolph Lundgren's big passion project, a screenplay he worked on for years about sex trafficking, and stars in with Tony Jaa.  This movie has two huge fight sequences, one with Lundgren-Jaa and one, which is basically a dream match, Jaa vs.
(Spoiled for plot twist)

Micheal Fuckin' Jai White!

Ron Pearlman also turns up as a particularly creepy baddie who apparently wanted to do the film just because he wanted to be in a Tony Jaa flick.  My biggest gripe with the film is that it's anti-Sex Trade, which is admirable, but then uses scantily-clad women (whom, according to the script, are basically sex slaves) to titillate, showing them dancing in slow-motion to some electronic music and it feels really off-message/counter-productive.  But it's a fun action flick, with some good, solid action sequences.  And it's on Netflix!

Friend talked me into watching the second MK movie. I haven't seen since it came out in 97. What a mistake this was This movie put me in a bad mood. Like I told her this movie had a higher budget yet where did the money go. The first movie is so much better

I think the highway scene holds up really well and is a fantastic fifteen minute action sequence. Rest of Reloaded is garbage though.

The first MK is still a fun shitty movie. Linden Ashby is a great Johnny Cage, Lambert is hilarious both intentionally and unintentionally, and Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa's Shang Tsung is honestly on par with Raul Julia's awesome Bison for me. He destroys the scenery and owns every scene he's in. MK: Annihilation is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Best part of the Mortal Kombat movie: Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole.

And Cage doing the Arn Anderson hand sell after punching Goro in the balls.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, J.T. said:

And Cage doing the Arn Anderson hand sell after punching Goro in the balls.

And Kevin Michael Richardson's incredible voice acting on selling that ball shot. GARHHHHHHHHH

*Me watching the latest Fast and Furious film* “OK, this is basically Days of our Lives meets a Hollywood car chase film.” It was absurd. But I sorta liked it.

“She had an unintended pregnancy!”

“Now she’s dead!”

“Nuclear football!”

“He’s not the bad guy after all!! We love him!”  

“You got your son back!”

“The evil lady villain is still out there!”

I can’t even begin to explain what happened here.

23 hours ago, Reed said:

*Me watching the latest Fast and Furious film* “OK, this is basically Days of our Lives meets a Hollywood car chase film.” It was absurd. But I sorta liked it.

“She had an unintended pregnancy!”

“Now she’s dead!”

“Nuclear football!”

“He’s not the bad guy after all!! We love him!”  

“You got your son back!”

“The evil lady villain is still out there!”

I can’t even begin to explain what happened here.

Remember when those movies were about hijacking trucks of DVD players and shit?

I rewatched Jackie Brown and it's even better than I remembered it.  Watching it as a middle-ish aged person makes me appreciate Pam Grier and Robert Forster's performances so much more.

I watched House 2: The Second Story for the first time since I was a kid & it was so much more captivating than House. Can anyone think of any other sequels that blow the first one outta the water? Bogus Journey, Judgement Day & Young Guns 2 come to mind for me.

Did a double feature of The Last Dragon and Streets of Fire. They don't make these "rock'n'roll" movies anymore. Last Dragon I watch all the time and it's still awesome. Funny thing I noticed this time around were the bit parts by William H. Macy and Chazz Palmentieri. Sho'Nuff steals the show as always.

Streets of Fire was amazing. I feel like every single shot was perfectly crafted -- every shot, including multiple shots of puddles. Puddles! Of course Willem Dafoe's Raven is an absolutely iconic villain, and Diane Lane is gorgeous. Loved it. Classic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Streets of Fire was amazing. I feel like every single shot was perfectly crafted -- every shot, including multiple shots of puddles. Puddles! Of course Willem Dafoe's Raven is an absolutely iconic villain, and Diane Lane is gorgeous. Loved it. Classic.

Haven't seen it in a few years now but always love catching it when I see it's on somewhere. Huge fan of the opening and closing musical numbers.

• Like 1