DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING GIFS

On 5/16/2017 at 4:04 PM, odessasteps said:

When this came up over the weekend, my five in no order were:

cornette, jimmy hart, gary hart, dillon, heenan

probably did not see enough in his prime Humperdink to judge him fairly. 

I'd put Sherri over Dillon in that list, not any of the other 4.

And Gary Hart helped to make Muta in the US in a big way.

• Like 1

The only two things you need to know about Gary.

1. He was in a plane crash that made national headlines, destroyed his body and left him permanently blind in one eye... and he STILL got his heat back.
  2. He was involved in a match with the stipulation that he had to go bald for life if his man lost... and he honored it.

Check and mate.

• Like 6

After watching dozens of matches with him in the last year or two, I've found 77-80 Hart to be hit or miss on the outside, to be honest. Some matches, he made the match. Others, he was either a non factor or actively took away from things.

Everyone should see the Lewin babyface turn on Hart though. It was awesome. It's all the better that it's in a match where JJ is managing one wrestler and Hart the other. Just electric stuff. People should really check it out while they can, just in case.

The thing I learned about being a manager is to pick your spots and that there's times to be front and center and times to be background, and that's something that I think Gary Hart got extremely well; really, all of the greats did.  For the most part, we're not the attraction - we're important parts, but we're the lieutenants to the general.  

42 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

The thing I learned about being a manager is to pick your spots and that there's times to be front and center and times to be background, and that's something that I think Gary Hart got extremely well; really, all of the greats did.  For the most part, we're not the attraction - we're important parts, but we're the lieutenants to the general.  

Actually, that's something I will definitely give him. The more a match needed him, the more he tended to intervene. There was a Terry Taylor vs Killer Brooks match from Dec 85 (and this is very weird because 1.) Brooks was not a Mid-South/UWF guy in general at that time and 2.) Hart wasn't either), so I'm not entirely sure why they were there. Brooks was in there for only two shots) and Brooks was well past his prime and Taylor wasn't particularly well matched up with him anyway. It went fairly long and Hart carried a lot of the match in a way that I wouldn't see him do nearly as much managing a guy like Lewin. In this specific case, part of it is that I wonder if he was more physically hesitant in 79-80 than he'd be a few years more removed from the accident too, though. 

Really, though, any fan of Hart's should jump on the Houston footage NOW before it potentially goes away. There are dozens of matches with him involved in one way or another. with him managing Krupp, Spoiler, Mr. Ichiban (including vs a face Greg Valentine), Lewin, Gino, a "Chicago Death match" of him vs old man Boesch, him vs Mike the Big Un, the Lewin turn, him in a straightjacket gimmick and a cage one for Lewin vs Gino matches, some promos (he and Shiek talking about Andre), some stuff with him and the Von Erichs. 

Obviously there's a bunch of World Class and 89 NWA out there and some Georgia but this is much closer to his prime than most of what we've gotten up til now.