DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS THREAD

16 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

It's funny how so many "older" wrestlers never bother with gear anymore. Everyone nags at some new kid not having gear and looking like shit, and then Sapp is wrestling in old sneakers; Val Venis wrestles in basketball shorts and a t-shirt these days...but still does the towel gimmick. Weird.

Chris Jericho talked about doing a show and Jim Londos was on the card and asked to borrow Jericho's boots because he didn't have any anymore, and wasn't going to bother buying any when he could just borrow them off people.

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Chris Jericho talked about doing a show and Jim Londos was on the card and asked to borrow Jericho's boots because he didn't have any anymore, and wasn't going to bother buying any when he could just borrow them off people.

How old IS Jericho?

• Like 3

On 5/14/2017 at 11:20 AM, (BP) said:

"All she can do is dial and yell." 

Ha, my co-worker moonlights as a chauffeur and he actually picked up Shane McMahon's family at Teeterboro when they came back from Linda's swearing-in at the WH. He said Vince's mom was a real pistol... still sharp as hell for her age.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Michelle Starr is a longtime promoter and wrestler up here and when he came out of retirement (for about the sixth time), he brought brand new boots...then wrestled one weekend a year ago and never wrestled again. Clearly not as smart as Mr. Tolos.

19 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Michelle Starr is a longtime promoter and wrestler up here and when he came out of retirement (for about the sixth time), he brought brand new boots...then wrestled one weekend a year ago and never wrestled again. Clearly not as smart as Mr. Tolos.

How much do decent boots normally run, Marty?

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Sin cara punches out some druids in...

Druids can't work WWE shows anymore. Taker's gone.

And since Taker agreed to lose his last match, it means he took the biggest ...dive of the year.

It was arguably the slowest match he worked all decade...and still better than Orton's Mania offering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Sugar said:

I love Michelle Starr.  Once I attended an ECCW show with a "Fans Bring the Weapons' Battle Royal, and I forgot to bring one, so I popped into a dollar store with my brother and thought it would be hilarious to buy a pink feather duster.  Apparently Starr did, too, as he used it to have a sword fight with a woman in the first row who had a cane.  Good times!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Every time I see Superstar in his prime I can't help but think out of everyone from his era, he would be the biggest star in the world today. 

That's such an odd photo perspective-wise, since Ivan was barely six feet tall and Ernie was probably closer to seven feet with that afro.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caley said:

I love Michelle Starr.  Once I attended an ECCW show with a "Fans Bring the Weapons' Battle Royal, and I forgot to bring one, so I popped into a dollar store with my brother and thought it would be hilarious to buy a pink feather duster.  Apparently Starr did, too, as he used it to have a sword fight with a woman in the first row who had a cane.  Good times!

He worked a hardcore battle royale in Nanaimo once, where he and Johnny Canuck stuffed Tony Kozina in a steel drum and basically threw the drum around. I thought they were going to kill him. A few months previous they'd power bombed a guy through a wooden table and nearly killed him when the dude had a heart attack...so the G.O.D. leaving someone dead in Nanaimo was not outside the realm of possibility in 1997.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Was Eddie Sharkey continually training guys from the early 80s and early 2000s and just no-one made it big between the likes of Hawk, Animal, Darsow, Nikita etc until Aries?

I attended lots of Minnesota and Wisconsin Indy shows in the late 90's/early 2000's. Eddie was a referee on most of them. The ring announcer always had to refer to him as "The Trainer of Champions."  

I'm pretty sure he trained a lot of the 1990-era AWA and WWF job guys like Derrick Dukes, Dan Jesser, Randy Gust, and Jamie "The Hater" Magnum. 

Outside of the ones you mentioned, he also trained Erick Rowan, Lenny Lane, ODB, Bam Neely, and Lacey (As in Jimmy Loves Lacey from ROH). 

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Outside of the ones you mentioned, he also trained Erick Rowan, Lenny Lane, ODB, Bam Neely, and Lacey (As in Jimmy Loves Lacey from ROH). 

LOl, that's quite a group.  Is/Was Lacey the best out of that group?  She looked fairly decent in the ring when she was teaming with Rain in Shimmer, but I don't know that she had even 100 matches (edit: Cagematch says 134.  That sounds like it could be reasonably accurate). Not sure who else in the fivesome I'd want to call "the best" at anything involving wrestling.

Some cross-threading here. As @Peck noted in the May discussion thread, "Pretty Boy" Doug Somers passed away. I watched old AWA episodes on ESPN Classic a few years back, and I really loved his tag team with "Playboy" Buddy Rose. In particularly, the rivalry with the Rockers is some high-quality stuff, culminating in an awesome cage match. 

Buddy-DougSommers01-large.gif

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, Marty Sugar said:

He worked a hardcore battle royale in Nanaimo once, where he and Johnny Canuck stuffed Tony Kozina in a steel drum and basically threw the drum around. I thought they were going to kill him. A few months previous they'd power bombed a guy through a wooden table and nearly killed him when the dude had a heart attack...so the G.O.D. leaving someone dead in Nanaimo was not outside the realm of possibility in 1997.

There's no way those Northern Hell tours didn't result in fatalities SOMEWHERE in British Columbia.  Way too many tiny towns with isolated locals not to.

(Nanaimo isn't hell, it just feels like it.)