DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Did Meltzer or anyone else confirm Braun has a torn rotator cuff?   

That's months off if it's true.

It's softball season. Didn't you see that post in the photo thread?

• Like 3

They are in a weird spot with the NXT callups because it's stupid to reset these characters that you've had a story arc with for years on NXT but they come in without a lot of context. 

I mean, the simple answer is just to show video packages and tell the stories but considering in OVW they would have called up these people and immediately given them new characters and gimmicks regardless of what they had been doing I guess this is progress.  

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Big E was IC Champ and was being programmed as a buddy of Cena and one of the main foes against the Shield (including the constant teasing of him vs. Reigns)

I have no idea how that is "failed callup"

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I got this - that was good enough for me

tumblr_mwull3t5Vm1rnjfjfo1_400.gif

I'll stand corrected on Big E, although I recall his IC run being pretty disappointing at the time.

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Rusev also ditched Dawson a full 7 months before his main roster debut.

Rusev dumped Lefort (Dawson was out injured I think) on October 30, 2013, officially paired up with Lana in Nov, and debuted at the Rumble in Jan.

One issue I had with Big E's IC run was putting him in the Andre Battle Royal at Mania XXX, rather than giving him a title match. Big E-Swagger and Shield-Wyatts were both Elimination Chamber matches that I feel like could have enhanced an already terrific WrestleMania card. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

I look at it like the ongoing battle is really a three-way dance between a profit-driven corporation, adults, and children under 10. 

The adults are more divided than any other group. Which combined with Vince being effectively senile, you got a mess. 

New Japan is selling more GA tickets for their G-1 Special shows in July starting Monday May 8th.

https://www.njpw1972.com/7725

MAY.2.2017

#INFO

Additional Seat Announcement

New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s “G1 Specials in USA” sold out in record time on April 1, 2017. 2 days, 2 shows and 2 meet and greets gone within 2 hours.NJPW officials heard you the fans loud and clear. We went right to work on securing more seating for these historic events.We are happy to announce, on Monday May 8, 2017 at 7pm PDT/10pm EDT, we will release a limited number of additional seats for both July 1 & July 2nd through Ticketmaster**
You have one more chance to be part of history
Please visit 
www.njpw1972.com/g1special for more information during the week regarding onsale. Also make sure to follow us on twitter at twitter.com/njpwglobal & facebook at www.facebook.com/newjapaneng.

**Tickets placed on sale for July 1, 2017 & July 2, 2017 will only be for the live event portion. There will be no further Meet & Greet tickets made available. All additional seats are General Admission for $30.

Pre-New Day Big E, while not a failure, was sort of in that odd Jack Swagger spot where he was either being actively pushed or more or less vanished.  He was doing nothing before they decided to make him IC champ, and then after that he didn't do all that much again.  Heck I think all the New Day folks ended up in limbo for some months before reappearing.  

7 hours ago, Ace said:

The problem with NXT call-ups is that frankly WWE booking is pretty awful.

Everyone can type up a bunch of words regarding NXT call-ups, but this here is what the main problem is. So much insightful analysis into why Bayley isn't working and the main reason is that the booking is terrible. The template to do her right was right there and of course main roster creative threw that out the window.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Was this already posted and I overlooked it:

Yes

I really can't imagine how stupid/crazy/addicted you have to be to try that, especially looking as sleazy as Waltman does. The laziest TSA worker in the world would pick him out of a lineup for a random search, no need for the dogs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Rusev dumped Lefort (Dawson was out injured I think) on October 30, 2013, officially paired up with Lana in Nov, and debuted at the Rumble in Jan.

His "debut" at the Rumble was as much a debut as Bo Dallas's or Tye Dillinger's Rumble shots - he didn't drop his first name and make his true main roster debut until after WrestleMania that year. He had months to hone his heel character in NXT before his main roster debut.

See how the WWE put a strap on Randy Orton when he was 24, so Brock wouldn't be the youngest WWF/WWE champ in history? Who was the youngest one prior to Brock? Was it Undertaker in '91?

17 hours ago, Ace said:

The problem with NXT call-ups is that frankly WWE booking is pretty awful.

THIS!!!

But is it bad because Vince and the writers just plain suck, or is it bad because it's impossible to ever be good when you're trying to generate that much content?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

THIS!!!

But is it bad because Vince and the writers just plain suck, or is it bad because it's impossible to ever be good when you're trying to generate that much content?

I think if you look back at the last four weeks or so it is obvious that shit changes so much week to week(I am sure because of VKM) it would be impossible to really do any good story telling. If you try to follow any storyline arc its clear to anybody the "superstar shakeup" was sprung on the writers at the last minute. Even all day Monday their website reported there would be a woman's tag team match which ended up being a 8 person deal, so you know that was changed last minute.

I think it would be hard to book for this much content but that isn't anywhere near the problem right now.

• Like 1

This morning on Sam Roberts & Jim Norton's Sirius show, they had Chris Gethard telling a story about how he did a North NJ indie back in the 90's where Chris was a manager named "White Magic" and had to do a spot where he got whipped into the entranceway by Flash Wheeler.... Which of course, came crashing down, leaving him getting a death stare from a "2/3 naked King Kong Bundy" and being threatened by Skull Von Krush.  It was a great story that ended with a save by our own @Greggulator .  (The other voice is Amy Schumer)

Story starts at 29:18

This is kind of a weird question because it flies in the face of so much of what WWE and pro wrestling in general is, but would people watch a show that was pretty much just matches? Maybe have a generic "I'm gonna kick your ass" promo or two between them. Not just hardcore fans like us, but kids etc, would it hold their interest? My thought is that maybe the quality of Raw would increase if they weren't also busy writing verbiage and producing angles for SD (obviously this idea would've been better pre roster split). The only basic requirement would be a list of guys to be kept apart either for storyline purposes. Beyond that, it's old school, face vs heel, Pat and Vince by the pool style booking for Tuesdays. Could it have worked?