DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

As long as he remembered to walk hard (hard)

Also the obvious answer to the "Leary had great success and was still pretty funny but totally stole his act from Hicks" is Triple H.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Also the obvious answer to the "Leary had great success and was still pretty funny but totally stole his act from Hicks" is Triple H.

So NXT is Hunter's "giving back" a la the Leary Firefighters Foundation? Works for me, and something I always think about when Leary comes up - at least dude's done some good in the world. Hicks was ranting on some Alex Jones type shit near the end, kinda puts him in line with lots of crazy-ass retired wrestlers.

• Like 2

I know ice cream and stand-up comedians are thrilling conversation, but you'd think someone woulda eulogized Doug Somers by now...like hopefully heaven has some fiery young babyface teams that he and Buddy Rose can work prolonged heat segments against or something...

5 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I wouldn't say Orton is vanilla, but he's definitely been down a rocky road.

Orton may hate spot monkeys, but once he retires, he can look forward to skipping the gym and becoming a chunky monkey.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

If that makes Bill Hicks into Ric Flair, I'm perfectly okay with that.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Orton is that outdated Baskin Robbins  in the land of frozen yogurt shops, cold stones and gelato places. With so many better options, how the hell is he the champion?

Honestly, I'm really surprised they put it on Orton too. Not just because there are a number of better options, but because of how badly his run in 2011 on SD did attendance and ratings wise in the previous brand split era. 

7 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I wouldn't say Orton is vanilla, but he's definitely been down a rocky road.

And yet here he is, still around.

He's had his ins & outs ...

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

Orton is that outdated Baskin Robbins  in the land of frozen yogurt shops, cold stones and gelato places. With so many better options, how the hell is he the champion?

Shut the fuck up with that shit, you elitist!

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with Orton as champion; I have a problem with him being stuck in shitty feuds that he doesn't have a prayer of carrying.  Straight from the goofy bullshit with Bray into a nothing feud with Jinder Mahal?  What do you expect him to be able to do?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I don't have a problem with Orton as champion; I have a problem with him being stuck in shitty feuds that he doesn't have a prayer of carrying.  Straight from the goofy bullshit with Bray into a nothing feud with Jinder Mahal?  What do you expect him to be able to do?  

Tell a compelling story through a gradual physical narrative, coupled with broadly applied theatrics and using a psychological construct based on progressively goal-oriented endeavors, irrespective of opponent or circumstance?

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Honestly, I'm really surprised they put it on Orton too. Not just because there are a number of better options, but because of how badly his run in 2011 on SD did attendance and ratings wise in the previous brand split era. 

With all the ice cream talk, I read "brand split" as "banana split".

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Tell a compelling story through a gradual physical narrative, coupled with broadly applied theatrics and using a psychological construct based on progressively goal-oriented endeavors, irrespective of opponent or circumstance?

As a note, I'm stealing "broadly applied theatrics" and applying it to my upcoming events.  Actually, this whole post.

I do agree that Orton could definitely be trying harder, but at this point I understand him going through the motions on a feud that nobody buys for two seconds that he has a chance of losing (and this is NOT a dare to WWE to put the fucking World title on the least entertaining guy in 3MB - heck, Jinder's the least entertaining guy in his own Rule 1.5 trio).  I'm not saying I *support* it, but I understand it.

• Like 2

Looking at the Smackdown roster, there's only a few choices for "World Champ":  Orton, AJ, KO, and Cena.

Outside of those 4, the roster, while very good talent-wise, thins out of star power quickly.   The next level down is probably: Corbin, Zayn, Rusev, Nakamura, and Rawley.  (And no Harper is not here, he's currently a jobber, and you know it.)   

I honestly do not expect Orton to lose to anyone in that 2nd tier outside of, maybe, Corbin. AJ/KO are busy and Cena is off on the Rock/Batista trajectory.  

Smackdown would benefit immensely by having one of: Balor, Joe, or An Hardy. But until that happens, Orton's really the only choice they've got.  And no I'm not thrilled with this either, but, such is life.  

12 hours ago, Victator said:

There is this Interview with Gallagher and Patrice O'Neal. Which was a bit different than Dave and Ole, since Patrice actually understood him. I think the Moran interview ended in ten minutes. 

Opie: Gallagher, are you racist?

Gallagher: ....why?

• Like 3

Dolfan, I agree with your post but feel Nakamura should be firmly in the "choices for world champ" category.  They're treating him like he's special and after this introductory feud with Ziggler I see him getting closer and closer to being world champ.  That would be capped off with a title win at or around WM.  Now if you're talking about right now then I can see why he's one level down at the moment.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 8:47 AM, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - Lesnar's TV schedule will look something like the following. (His exact quote is "They have a battle plan for Brock in place")

• June 12 (RAW) - Lafayette, LA
  • June 26 (RAW) - Staples Center
  • July 3 (RAW) - Go home for Great Balls of Fire (Phoenix)
  • July 9 - Great Balls of Fire
  • July 10 (RAW) - Houston

And then "several shows" in August since he will be on Summerslam

He doesn't know who he is defending against in July but it should become clearer after RAW tonight (and it could still be Braun)

FWIW, today they started advertising him for the 7/31 Raw in Pittsburgh.