DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

9 minutes ago, zev said:

Only if he's wearing a stocking over his head in Chainsaw Charlie mode.

There's more to the unknown Comic than the bag:

He's sleazy, greasy, sweaty, manic, he dresses like venereal disease, and he never ever ever disappoints a crowd. You go in knowing you're going to be entertained and also feel a little ashamed afterward at what you were cheering for.

Wait. That's Terry Funk.

SEE!!!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Who's the Redd Foxx of wrestling? Ric Flair?

Savage, because he kept saying he was coming for Elizabeth?

Ok, maybe that was Flair.

Or that lustful Hogan.

• Like 14

More clarification from Dave

Braun is expected back for Summerslam so he figures they are just flip flopping their plans

Whoever was supposed to face Brock at Summerslam (most likely either Balor or Rollins) will now get the shot at Great Balls of Fire and Braun will get it at Summerslam

They are saving "up to 6 months" so they can be all LOOK HE RECOVERED IN THREE!!!! but have leeway if rehab doesn't go as well as it should

This is an embarrassingly written article but basically - the WWE (because of NBC Universal) will be using more of the picture in picture during commercial breaks

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/advertising-and-marketing/nbcu-looks-pin-down-viewers-during-wwe-smackdown-breaks/165809

NBCUniversal doesn’t want to put viewers in a headlock to get them to watch commercials.

So at a time when commercial avoidance is a big issue for ad-supported TV, NBCU is going to use a picture-in-picture approach during its WWE SmackDown series on USA Network.

When the commercial break starts, the sound will go down on the action, but viewers will still be able to see the “Superstars” bash each other with steel chairs and jump from the turnbuckles. Meanwhile, the ad message plays with sound and motion.

NBCU tested the concept last year and expects to go forward with it later this month or in early June. The names of the participating advertisers was not disclosed. Picture-in-picture will be included as NBCU sells WWE programming on USA in the upfront.

--------------------

NBCU tested picture-in-picture ads during two episodes of SmackDown last year. Each episode had two commercial breaks using the picture-in-picture technique. During those breaks, ratings went up 13%, indicating that viewers stuck around instead of changing the channel, fast-forwarding or making a sandwich. The lift during those breaks raised the C3 ratings for the entire show by close to 2%. That’s good for NBCU.

The test had good results for advertisers as well. The spots in the picture-in-picture breaks scored 42% higher ad memorability than the cable norm, with brand memorability was up 100%. That means that rather than being distracted by the wresting activity, viewers were engaged with the commercial message, Feldman said.

The test had good results for advertisers as well. The spots in the picture-in-picture breaks scored 42% higher ad memorability than the cable norm, with brand memorability was up 100%. That means that rather than being distracted by the wresting activity, viewers were engaged with the commercial message, Feldman said.

I fucking hate marketing.

• Like 6

Siding with Orton or Rogers in this case makes you like the sad old guys who piss and moan about the young generation of baseball players celebrating too much or watching their homers and not doing things "the right way."  It doesn't make you look old school or smart at all.

I side with Joel Gertner in all of this. Wrestling is all of that stuff and I see the merits of both sides of the argument. I'm kind of tired of wrestling matches that are more like video games than an actual contest but I also recognize that what the audience at large wants has changed. Good on Orton for making a shit ton of money with the style he wrestles but not everyone can draw attention to themselves that way and need to do something else to get noticed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's pretty cool. Imagine if that had been around 20 years ago. It could've changed a lot of things. At the very least, young me wouldn't have sat through that God damn Robin Hood movie just to see the finish to Hogan vs. Giant

IIRC, they didn't show clips of the match during every commercial break, it was every other commercial break so it made it seem like that match was like 40 minutes long.

• Like 1

Wouldn't Orton actually be the Gallagher of wrestling?  Walk in, do the same stale, boring act in front of fans who don't know enough to want anything more out of the show, get paid and leave, never putting forth any effort to better your game because who gives a shit? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

fans who don't know enough to want anything more out of the show

This is some seriously elitist bullshit. No surprise that you're defending indy spotfest nonsense all over the board.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2017 at 5:09 AM, Casey said:

I think I'm probably the only one that thinks Orton posted that note as a way of making fun of Rip Rogers, but maybe that's just me.

I think Randy and Rip are tight. I'm guessing Rip trained Randy at OVW. Rip was on Austin's podcast a few months back and they mentioned Rip's GoFundMe for a replacement vehicle since his broke down. The top contributor at the time was Randy Orton  

https://www.gofundme.com/rip-rogers-raw-deal

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Who is the Unknown Comic of wrestling? 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dolph Ziggler

He should be, as in nobody knows Dolph Ziggler does stand up. 

I think Dolph is the Carrot Top of wrestling,