DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

If we're counting Raw/SD and Main Event/205 Live that's a tad less than 7 hours per week of mainly wrestling.  That might be too much for people to sit through even with generic promos.  I'd be all for it, but considering families and borderline fans go I wonder if that would be worthwhile.  And if it's going to be all matches wrestlers would need to make sure they get their characters/stories across in the match.  As vilified as non-wrestling are at times they're a necessary evil to break up the action.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I think if you look back at the last four weeks or so it is obvious that shit changes so much week to week(I am sure because of VKM) it would be impossible to really do any good story telling. If you try to follow any storyline arc its clear to anybody the "superstar shakeup" was sprung on the writers at the last minute. Even all day Monday their website reported there would be a woman's tag team match which ended up being a 8 person deal, so you know that was changed last minute.

I think it would be hard to book for this much content but that isn't anywhere near the problem right now.

Shit, you're right, I forgot option C: The company is still run by an insane septuagenarian with the attention span of a goldfish who changes his mind more often than my two year old.  The writers could come to TV with the wrestling equivalent of Breaking Bad, quality-wise, and Vince would scrap it on a whim in favor dick jokes and whatever musclehead gives him a chub that day.

That's another idea I've been kicking around.  Is there any other company the size of WWE that has had the same leadership going on 35 years?  Vince has been the final word on everything for the better part of FOUR DECADES.  I feel like the lack of fresh blood where it counts is another reason they're so creatively stagnant.

OH, and the fact that, as Meltzer as mentioned recently, their business model has changed to the point where they really don't even have to put out a good product anymore.

• Like 4

HA!

People pitching a shit fit because Braun and Roman are in the same Rome tour group is gonna get me through the rest of the day

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AxB said:

See how the WWE put a strap on Randy Orton when he was 24, so Brock wouldn't be the youngest WWF/WWE champ in history? Who was the youngest one prior to Brock? Was it Undertaker in '91?

Yokozuna, by a couple months younger than Taker.

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

HA!

People pitching a shit fit because Braun and Roman are in the same Rome tour group is gonna get me through the rest of the day

Reminds me of a Kevin Nash shoot interview I saw where he mentioned Bam Bam Bigelow was upset the Kliq was on the same bus during a European tour while (I think) Shawn Michaels and Razor were working every night. He objected claiming that fans following the bus could see them getting on it, while Hall's reply was that if they're following the bus and getting the same show every night, they probably get it by now... And this was 20+ years ago!

44 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wouldn't most sports franchises run by the same ownership for decades count as a "company?" 

Good point.  Where the comparison falls apart (or stays the same) is in how involved the ownership is in day to day operations.  Vince has never hired a GM to run WWE and then stepped away from it.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is there any other company the size of WWE that has had the same leadership going on 35 years?  Vince has been the final word on everything for the better part of FOUR DECADES.  I feel like the lack of fresh blood where it counts is another reason they're so creatively stagnant.

Is the Star Wars property under George Lucas a good comparison? A large devoted fan base married to the whims of an out of touch septuagenarian.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Is the Star Wars property under George Lucas a good comparison? A large devoted fan base married to the whims of an out of touch septuagenarian.

LOL

"Roman must look strong" is definitely Vince's "Phantom Menace."

I'm trying to think who is the Star Wars equivalent of Roman.

Jar Jar Binks maybe?  Creative thinks he'll be successful so they push him hard; fan base reacts by hating him.

Works for me.  Roman is Jar Jar Binks.

• Like 1

Neither are Jar Jar Binks seeing that Roman started off loved and is only hated because of shitty booking, and Enzo is still generally liked. The analogy was just bad. BP presented the better one.

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Neither are Jar Jar Binks seeing that Roman started off loved and is only hated because of shitty booking, and Enzo is still generally liked. The analogy was just bad. BP presented the better one.

Yeah, that wasn't one of my better ideas.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Yokozuna, by a couple months younger than Taker.

The Rock was also 26 when he won his first title at Survivor Series 1998.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Playboy probably works too, wildly successful start-up business under one leader with a passionate fanbase that didn't change with the times despite lots of hints that it was a dying model.

Wow.  Yes, that's perfect.