DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

On 5/27/2017 at 3:40 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I remember in the middle of the Flair/Hennig feud, I think at Halloween Havoc 97 Flair did an insane (well for him) top rope to the floor double axe handle to Curt and he ended up fracturing his foot. But Flair was out for blood so it played in perfectly with the story.

I somehow never realized Flair was hurt in that match. I always chalked up his absence afterward to the contractual issues. Is this why DDP replaced him in the US title match against Hennig at Starrcade??

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I somehow never realized Flair was hurt in that match. I always chalked up his absence afterward to the contractual issues. Is this why DDP replaced him in the US title match against Hennig at Starrcade??

I'm going purely off memory here. I just remember Tony saying on Nitro maybe the next night or the week after that Flair had a fractured foot from the match. Maybe he didn't have one, but it Flair doing a Macho Man move to the floor and getting hurt seems about right though.

EDIT: I had the wrong Flair/Hennig match. It was the next month at WCW World War 3 in their return match in the No DQ bout when Flair did the top rop axe handle/forearm that he probably injured his foot on. I was trying to find the exact moment on the ppv on the network, but it's being screwy at the moment.

So, on the recent topic of jerichos coming and goings,i've always wondered whether fozzy is a profitable act, a break even act, or is jericho his own money mark?  they're not selling many albums. i can't imagine them being a major concert draw. in an industry where most bands are losing money while touring, how exactly are they doing this?

They aren't playing huge venues. They are playing small clubs that fit a few hundred fans where they likely get a guaranteed pay day, plus whatever merch and VIP tickets they sell on top of it. They may not be getting rich off of it, but I'm betting they're making OK money as everybody involved in the band are already pretty established musicians, yeah? So this is probably more of a passion project for everybody involved. Getting to go out and play music and party with your buddies for a few weeks, as well as maybe pocket some extra cash, is like a vacation to them.

• Like 1

A nonprofit the wife and I are involved with books bands for fundraisers.  The venue is small, with a capacity of 900 or so.  So far as I know, all the bands we've booked charged us a flat fee and just asked us to take care of a few expenses on top of that (lol, lots of alcohol and candy bars after the show).  I dunno if that's typical or not, but most of the people we've dealt with had a fee in mind and a contract handy, so I assume it's not too unusual

• Like 1

If Roman Reigns should turn heel is an overstated talking point, is Bray Wyatt should turn face an understated one?

I think he could be quite entertaining with a face turn, if for no other reason it avoids the standard trope of Wyatt one ups some guy at every point for what seems like eternity but always loses the big one. That brief Wyatt Family face run against the League of Nations had potential, crowds were getting behind it (or at least against the LON, which was rare). 

A Wyatt/Joe feud could possibly even help both guys out from here on in?

• Like 2